6.4 hemi air/whistle noise under light throttle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello,

I just bought a new 2016 2500 4x4 with the 6.4. I have about 750 miles on it, and ever since new i have been hearing this really annoying whistle/air noise coming from the engine bay (i think). The best way i can describe the noise is a low pitched whistle, almost similar to turbo spool, or sometimes the sound you get from an aftermarket intake. In my opinion it is loud. loud enough to hear it over the radio on volume 10, and definitely noticeable. Here is some information:

1) it seems to happen at ANY speed above 50 mph, but it is not wind noise. I know this because at any speed above 50 I can hear it but if i just barely lift the throttle (while going down a hill or something) the noise stops. Also, if I click up to 5th gear manually, the noise stops immediately and cannot be heard until i put it back in 6th and the RPM are around 1500.

2) I occasionally hear a variance of the noise (much quieter) when accelerating through the gears lightly, but not ever time and its harder to reproduce vs. going 65mph when i can make it do it on command every single time.

3) The noise seems to be accompanied by a loud tick, or audible switch noise. For example, when i hear it upon acceleration, I hear the noise, then hear a click when the truck shifts, and the noise instantly stops after the click, and then resumes again. But this seems more random than the highway speeds, but im sure its the same noise.

4) happens cold/hot. It does it right away first thing in the morning before the truck has warmed up. And it does it after driving 50+ miles, and all day long.

5) Ive tried every combination of fuel (87, 89, 91) no change.

6) Ive tired vent/AC/Heather on, off, low, high, and every combination in between. No change.

I really am starting to get annoyed and its the only thing I can hear now when I drive to work. I took it to the dealer and of course they said they couldn't find anything. I even took the guy for a drive and made sure he heard it. He said its probably nothing to worry about and bring it in if it gets louder or something else happens.... but I cant believe this noise is normal.

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I hear that noise also on my 16 megacab. I thought it was the tonneau cover I put on but not sure. I was going to mention it when I bring it in for an oil change.

PippinAin'tEasy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Same here. Stealership tech response? "Inherent noise in the big Hemi."

"Oh, sweet debt. Thy name is Truck."

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have Chrome covered mirrors put some blue painter's tape over the gap between the Chrome and the black to see if that is causing the whistle noise. That is what caused mine to whistle.

I know th OP said his problem is not wind so this suggestion is really for everybody else.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the replies. At least others are hearing the same noise.... makes me feel alittle better, i guess. I will keep this updated if i find anything out.

ptesmoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i had this noise, but after throwing in a AEM filter and Flowmaster cat back, i havent heard it. i figured it was some sort of turbulance in the air box..

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I have the 5.7, and was getting what I initially thought was belt squeal or a bad bearing (truck only has ~4,000 miles on it so far). But after reading your thread, I'm thinking it could also be an air leak. At idle and off-throttle, it goes away. When I tip in throttle it gets louder with more, but doesn't seem to match revs with the engine, so to speak.

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow for them to take a look… will report back.

es

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do a visual check of the air intake hose, clamps, etc...to make sure they are all secure.

flyingace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
same problem

Yep I just bought a new 2016 2500 about 3 weeks ago. Same noise as you descibed. I love the truck but the noise is annoying. Especially if I'm next to a car or concrete barrier where the the noise can bounce off it. Mine only has 580 miles on it. Dealership said the same thing to me.....that's its normal for this engine. Hmmm???? I just can't believe this. I'm going to get another opinion from a speedshop in town here. They deal with and build high performance cars and engines. If there is a problem I'm confident they will find it. If they say it is normal then so be it...... guess I may have to live with it. I'll keep you posted.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP- My fan is a bit on the loud side but nothing like what you described here and definitely no whistle. I think what MADDOG said is right check all the hose, clamps & etc if its a whistle kind of noise then something could be lose.

2015 RAM 2500 with 6.4L

Last edited:

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Just got a call from the dealer on my 5.7, and they said the crank pulley was "coming apart," and had also damaged the serp belt. Truck has 4,000 miles on it. I get a loaner and parts will be in tomorrow.

UPDATE - got the truck back yesterday with a new harmonic balancer and serpentine belt. That's the good part. The bad part is that the noise is still there - maybe a little quieter than before, but still there…

*sigh*

es

OP
OP
Z

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well thats discouraging.

I havent had time to mess with it much, but I towed about 3k pounds today, it was my first towing with the new truck. I felt like i was hearing the noise alot more while towing, and throughout most of the gears. Weird

FlatLandRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 2014 Ram 2500 5.7L has the same issue. I have tried after market intakes but it is still there. I have come to the conclusion it is the throttle body howling at light throttle.

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Update on my 5.7 - when I picked it up after the harmonic balancer repair, I hadn't got a mile down the road before hearing the same noise, same volume.

Took it back and had a tech ride with me until he knew exactly what I was wanting addressed. He agreed that the noise sounded more like a vacuum leak or similar, as it changed volume with engine load as opposed to engine RPM. They called me that afternoon and said there was an exhaust leak and they had to order parts, which are backordered. As soon as they are in and the work is done, I'll report back again.

es

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
6.4 3500 2015, yep. Mine does that. I just crank the radio up when I'm by myself, sounds like vacuum line making the noise. Being when it also does it. If I'm just lightly on the gas and give it just a % or two more in throttle. It picks up louder and the truck starts surging like the torque converter is trying to unlock and lock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Another update on my 5.7. They replaced a cat and the y-pipe, and while it's a little less noisy, the noise is still there. They said the tech drove another truck on the lot for comparison and related it made a similar noise.

I'll stop back by and see if they want to take one more crack at it, but I suspect I'm going to have to live with it.

es

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I was also told that it was either the air filter box or the exhaust. I think its is the exhaust y pipe. i think if the y pipe was replaces with an aftermarket it will disappear.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
2016 2500 acceleration noise

Just bought 2500 with the 6.4 only 800 miles on it. I have the same noise. Had it at the dealer for 3 days. They emailed corporate and talked with there head engineers. They are saying it is some sort of exhaust noise and they are aware of the issue but there is nothing they are going to do for it. Drove a new one from the lot same noise. So there is an issue Chrysler/ram doesn't want to fix it or address it. $5100 for a truck kinda of bs. When I lift it the exhaust has to get redone to fit the bds lift, I hope it will be taken care of. The dealer is giving me the complaint line I'm going to call because it's ridiculous we are having all these problems.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just bought 2500 with the 6.4 only 800 miles on it. I have the same noise. Had it at the dealer for 3 days. They emailed corporate and talked with there head engineers. They are saying it is some sort of exhaust noise and they are aware of the issue but there is nothing they are going to do for it. Drove a new one from the lot same noise. So there is an issue Chrysler/ram doesn't want to fix it or address it. $5100 for a truck kinda of bs. When I lift it the exhaust has to get redone to fit the bds lift, I hope it will be taken care of. The dealer is giving me the complaint line I'm going to call because it's ridiculous we are having all these problems.

it isn't a functional issue so i think that is why they don't have a need to address it. What other problems are we having?