6.4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hey yall,

Question for you guys. As i hope to be a 2500/6.4 owner soon, is the 6.4 a Di engine? Just wondering. The 5.3 in my Silverado is and while it makes great power, there are some downsides. The primary one is the carboning up of the intake valves as there's no fuel washing over them anymore and the pcv/egr systems cause the oil laden unburnt products to go back though those intake valves to be reburned and that's where the issues start.

There are lots of guys over on gmtrucks.com that have installed catch cans. Some have gone in for warranty work and had engine claims denied due to the catch can (crazy).

Also a side question, is the 6.4 an interference engine?

Thanks
G

Last edited:
OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Ok, i did a little searching. Looks like the 6.4 hemi is not a DI engine (yet) which is great if that was up to date info. Also looks like it's a pushrod engine also, which is equally great. I don't like fords ohc bs personally. When they went to those modular v8 in the late 90s they lost me.

Seems like the 5.7 and 6.4 hemis are great engines from what I've read.

huntntruk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ok, i did a little searching. Looks like the 6.4 hemi is not a DI engine (yet) which is great if that was up to date info. Also looks like it's a pushrod engine also, which is equally great. I don't like fords ohc bs personally. When they went to those modular v8 in the late 90s they lost me.

Seems like the 5.7 and 6.4 hemis are great engines from what I've read.

I think we all would agree with you. I have owned both and they are awesome engines. The only problem I have is that the 6.4 I own currently doesn't sound nearly as good as my 5.7 with dual exhaust. :) But seriously I have been in the forums for a few years and I cant recall any serious engine issues. They are tried and true workhorses. You will not be disappointed.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I think we all would agree with you. I have owned both and they are awesome engines. The only problem I have is that the 6.4 I own currently doesn't sound nearly as good as my 5.7 with dual exhaust. :) But seriously I have been in the forums for a few years and I cant recall any serious engine issues. They are tried and true workhorses. You will not be disappointed.

Hello, thanks for your post, i appreciate that. I'm looking forward to finding the right ram for me, now that i have decided on a ram for my truck upgrade. I appreciate your thoughts.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The 6.4 uses an internal PCV system integrate into the intake manifold. So you won't have to worry about a catch can voiding you warranty:)

Look for a truck with the 4.10 gear option. Good luck!

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
I'd definitely put a catch can on. You'll be surprised how much oil it catches.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd definitely put a catch can on. You'll be surprised how much oil it catches.

There is no easy way to do it. The entire system in integrated somewhere within the intake manifold. Nothing is external.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
There is no easy way to do it. The entire system in integrated somewhere within the intake manifold. Nothing is external.

This! Been hashed out before and you would think 3 year models in now on the 6.4 RAM Hemi, someone would have dropped a catch can on the market by now if it was a reasonable possibility.

I have read of one guy on another forum claiming to have rigged a catch can on his 6.4 RAM but never got anything of substance and removed it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Op - So the question becomes do you need a half ton or a 3/4-1ton??

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Does your engine bay look like this? It's a 6.4 but not a ram.
https://youtu.be/s4XT9GExWDc

Or this?
http://www.custombilletstore.net/product_p/20100.htm

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My dad and I put a combined 600k on our 2003 and 2004 5.7's with no catch can....no issues.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some just like the piece of mind.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Op - So the question becomes do you need a half ton or a 3/4-1ton??

3/4 ton for extra margin pulling my travel trailer (and a larger one possibly in the next few years) and just more heavy duty suspension and steering components

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
From what i understand, the catch can is more important to have on a DI engine since there's no fuel washing the intake valves. Since the 6.4 is not DI there is probably less benefit to having one, but to each their own of course.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Some just like the piece of mind.

I can understand that, but there are literally tens of thousands of 5.7l and 6.4l hemi trucks driving around with no catch can that never have issues. What's the worst that can happen,gotta replace a MAF sensor every few years in order to pass inspection? I drive a ton, I feel like to me having to dump the can every 2-3 weeks is a bigger hassle.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Man I'm with you 100% had a 2016 1500 5.7 and man that thing sounded good for a stock truck. Then I get my 2500 6.4 and it's so quiet. I mean the power is obviously there but just no roar like you would think. Thinking a FM in my Future. Anyone running an intake on their 6.4? Make engine sound any meaner?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Man I'm with you 100% had a 2016 1500 5.7 and man that thing sounded good for a stock truck. Then I get my 2500 6.4 and it's so quiet. I mean the power is obviously there but just no roar like you would think. Thinking a FM in my Future. Anyone running an intake on their 6.4? Make engine sound any meaner?

Yes, I'm running a K&N tube setup with an Amsoil dry filter & sock. No real appreciable power gains, but seems slightly more responsive. That's likely more placebo than reality. But what it does do, is it definitely makes you feel more connected because you can hear everything going on under there in direct correlation to your right foot. When the MDS kicks in, it makes a very unique "deep warbling" sound. Think chubaka (sp?). I'm not a star wars nerd, but I can't unhear the sound from commercials. Also reminds me of the sound of the v10 in my dad's 90's Ferd with a CAI. In normal driving, you really forget it's there. But when you tip in the throttle a bit or really give 'er the gusto, there's no doubt you've got a helluva $400 noise maker. Actually meaner? Nah. Sound meaner? Absolutely.