6.4 Resonator Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
99% of my driving is "city" driving so mds to me is more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm the opposite. I use my MDS all the time and don't feel it's useless. I get better empty highway mileage than our lead guitar players 6.2 Ferd, and way better than my bro-in-laws 2012 chevy 6.0 ever did. He traded that in on a Dirtymax because the mileage was about 12. Get about the same as my father in laws 2012 ecoboost max tow. He isn't very impressed with the Eco, but likes the boost.

The flapper's function in the muffleris more than likely similar to the performance mufflers with a flapper. Noise reduction. At idle and part throttle the flap is closed, causing the exhaust to take a longer path to exit the muffler, reducing volume when maximum performance is not needed. Waith more throttle the flapper is forced open by exhaust pressure giving the exhaust a less restrictive exit, freeing up some power at the expense of more noise.

The resonator is for mds drone.
I see resonators on most new vehicles though. That's why I thought it had something to do with emisions.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see resonators on most new vehicles though. That's why I thought it had something to do with emisions.

After the cats it's not about emissions. Just sound and drone reduction.

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
In what way does it hinder your driving?

Hinder might not of been the correct word. When ever it kicked in I always found myself giving it more gas to get out of the mds mode. I felt that the truck just wasn't responsive when not using tow/haul

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
in the city I always lock out in 4th on the selector and turn on tow haul.. it has become a habit.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just use manual shift mode all the time. My truck rarely sees full auto unless it's an extended road trip with the cruise on. Without a reso it has just the slightest bit of drone but I just turn up the tunes and it disappears.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unless they start offering a 3.5" in/out configuration it's probably not a good option for the 6.4L trucks. But looks intriguing.

Just showing the reason behind the flapper in our stock muffler. Sound and drone reduction.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A buddy has this on his Silverado and isn't happy with it. No louder than stock muffler unless your foot in through the floor. He's going to take the resonator of to see if that helps.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So it works just like it's supposed to. And this shows why our mufflers have the flapper.

Underarock13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500 14
Engine
6.4 hemi
I cut my resignator off and installed a magnaflow muffler. It has a very deep rumble and no droning. Took about two weeks to break in. At first it's almost to loud and droning but mellowed out nicely.