6.4 Sudden Oil Loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had my 6.4 Hemi since March of 2014 and just turned 60K miles. I lost about a 1/2 quart of oil within the first 1000 miles but until recently have never had to add a single drop between changes.

I find I check my oil more for novelty and am always amazed at how after 5000 miles it's still right at the top of the *** marks on the stick.

I have all my service done at the dealer and just watch the % indicator. The changes seem to usually fall around 7K miles (I usually go in when it gets below about 15%).

So, today while getting gas just for fun I check the oil and find I'm at the very bottom of the *** on the stick. So, what is that, a quart? Anyway, there's no oil where I park and I scoured the underside of the truck and cannot find a drop. The tailpipe produces no smoke that I can see. I checked the oil again just be sure and the results were the same. Both times I was on dead level ground as best I could tell. The last time I had checked before today was probably 1000-1500 miles. I seem to check about every 4-5 tanks of gas.

So, where is the oil going? Is it possible to be leaking internally somewhere and not show (yet)???

One note is when I scrape my finger at the back of my tailpipe I do get some soot staining. I'm not sure if this is normal or not? The truck is driving the same as ever and MPG seem the same as ever.

I've got a lifetime warranty so I suppose I'll just wait and see but it sure seems odd that after not ever losing a drop in 60K miles I have a dramatic loss.

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the dealer is changing your oil, i wonder if the mechanic is filling with the correct amount of oil

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the dealer is changing your oil, i wonder if the mechanic is filling with the correct amount of oil

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Or the correct oil, dealers have been known to put wrong oil in.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, I thought of that but it was static through at least 4000 miles after the last change and then just dropped dramatically. I specifically remember checking the oil at least twice since the last change with zero loss.

I am coming due for another change and will likely go in soon. But I am not exactly confident my dealer will find anything (or even try) and am ready for the stock service manager answer, "that's normal. they all do that." :)

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What oil is the dealer using? Sounds to me like you're oil may be good when new but starts breaking down before next oil change is due. The only thing I know that you could do is ask them to check, that way there's a record of possible problem, check new oil before you leave dealer and then see if it goes back to normal or continues to give you problems. You might jump over to the synthetic oil thread and read there, tons of info. The few times I've had the dealer change my oil I've taken my own oil and filter in.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I've had my 6.4 Hemi since March of 2014 and just turned 60K miles. I lost about a 1/2 quart of oil within the first 1000 miles but until recently have never had to add a single drop between changes.

I find I check my oil more for novelty and am always amazed at how after 5000 miles it's still right at the top of the *** marks on the stick.

I have all my service done at the dealer and just watch the % indicator. The changes seem to usually fall around 7K miles (I usually go in when it gets below about 15%).

So, today while getting gas just for fun I check the oil and find I'm at the very bottom of the *** on the stick. So, what is that, a quart? Anyway, there's no oil where I park and I scoured the underside of the truck and cannot find a drop. The tailpipe produces no smoke that I can see. I checked the oil again just be sure and the results were the same. Both times I was on dead level ground as best I could tell. The last time I had checked before today was probably 1000-1500 miles. I seem to check about every 4-5 tanks of gas.

So, where is the oil going? Is it possible to be leaking internally somewhere and not show (yet)???

One note is when I scrape my finger at the back of my tailpipe I do get some soot staining. I'm not sure if this is normal or not? The truck is driving the same as ever and MPG seem the same as ever.

I've got a lifetime warranty so I suppose I'll just wait and see but it sure seems odd that after not ever losing a drop in 60K miles I have a dramatic loss.

Do you check the oil after the truck has set a few hours? Engines will hold oil within them for a while after running. This doesn't show up on the stick. If you check at the gas station you are not getting an accurate reading.

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you check the oil after the truck has set a few hours? Engines will hold oil within them for a while after running. This doesn't show up on the stick. If you check at the gas station you are not getting an accurate reading.

My driveway is sloped so I don't often check other than at the gas station. The big question here is why the dramatic change? For 3.5 years (and for at least 3000 miles after the last change) the truck has not lost a single drop.

All the questions about the dealer are worth considering but seem irrelevant since I left the dealer and went 3000 miles without losing anything.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
if your not seeing it on the ground, it has to be burning it. it does seem odd though to go that long and now has major issue.

does the coolant still look good?

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
if your not seeing it on the ground, it has to be burning it. it does seem odd though to go that long and now has major issue.

does the coolant still look good?

Great question, thanks- just looked and it seems fine. I'm not super familiar with what it's supposed to look like, though. It's definitely clean not oily at all. It does have a faint smell almost like tranny fluid. The last time I messed with coolant was 15+ years ago and it was the old neon green Prestone catch-all and my Ram definitely has some new stuff. And I checked the tranny fluid and it's pristine.

I added some oil today and it sure didn't take much to move from the bottom of the *** zone to the top - only about 3/4 of a quart. Maybe it's just starting to burn oil.