6.4 Whipple Kit Release Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
While that looks fun, there'd go the warranty.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I never said it was a rational purchase:)

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hope you're planning on pistons and headstuds.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The 6.4 has 10:1 forged pistons, oil squirters, increased capacity head bolts with staked washers, redesigned cooling jackets, etc. If there is ever an NA motor that was setup for FI from the factory, this might be it. Ring gap could still be an issue, but with 6-7psi and a good tune I would be surprised if it ever hurt the motor.

Whether or not the 66RFE would live is a different story.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The 6.4 has 10:1 forged pistons, oil squirters, increased capacity head bolts with staked washers, redesigned cooling jackets, etc. If there is ever an NA motor that was setup for FI from the factory, this might be it. Ring gap could still be an issue, but with 6-7psi and a good tune I would be surprised if it ever hurt the motor.

Torque converter swap should make it pretty stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Torque converter swap should make it pretty stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there, done that. Have an Edge converter installed now, along with a higher capacity pan. Not much else let to do but hope.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

10:1 compression and ring gap will be an issue. I think the 6.4 would live just fine making over 600hp but not with that compression and certainly not those rings. The Hell cat 6.2 should be an indication.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Been there, done that. Have an Edge converter installed now, along with a higher capacity pan. Not much else let to do but hope.

Regear your diffs to reduce drivetrain torque.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
10:1 compression and ring gap will be an issue. I think the 6.4 would live just fine making over 600hp but not with that compression and certainly not those rings. The Hell cat 6.2 should be an indication.

If you have any additional specific on the type of rings used and factory gap specifications I'd like to hear it. Obviously the Hellcat's 6.2 vs the 6.4 provides an advantage in piston design for FI. But the Hellcat setup produces 11.6psi of boost, almost double what a basic Whipple kit is likely to make.

The Hellcat has a 9.5:1 cr, vs 10.9 in the SRT 6.4 and 10:1 in the Ram. So again, considering the relatively mild boost levels I don't think the 10:1 is unreasonable at all. Arrington offers a kit for the 5.7/6.4 Hemi (cars) and they state it's safe at 6psi on a stock 10.9:1 CR motor with hyperutectic pistons. All the Mustang 5.0 kits run just fine under 600hp with a bone stock motor, and they run 11:1 CR. Point being, compression alone isn't necessarily an issue.

http://www.shophemi.com/p-2562-arrington-performance-hemi-6lb-supercharger-kit.aspx

Last edited:
OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
:laughing1:

Damn! You already probably have the most bad a$$ 2500 6.4 out there! Can you give me some $$$ to mirror the mods you have? :drool: Please! :laughing1:

Sure:

ARH 1 3/4" Stainless LT Headers: $1675
Diablosport Trinity w/unlock ECU and HF tuning: $1100
MF 19200 cat back: $911
Edge Racing 11" Billet Converter: $550
Moe's 87mm TB: $360
Mag Hytec Trans Pan: $285
AEM DryFlow Filter: $40
Air Intake Mod: $60
http://www.ramforum.com/f44/ram_airbox_intake_tube_mod-82922/

The headers, tuner and torque converter made the biggest difference in performance.

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
THEVIKING - i'm looking at the Edge Racing Converters website and don't see the 66rfe listed. what did you order for your 2500?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Sure:

ARH 1 3/4" Stainless LT Headers: $1675
Diablosport Trinity w/unlock ECU and HF tuning: $1100
MF 19200 cat back: $911
Edge Racing 11" Billet Converter: $550
Moe's 87mm TB: $360
Mag Hytec Trans Pan: $285
AEM DryFlow Filter: $40
Air Intake Mod: $60
http://www.ramforum.com/f44/ram_airbox_intake_tube_mod-82922/

The headers, tuner and torque converter made the biggest difference in performance.

I knew if I said please you would give in! :roflsquared:
I haven't done very much to mine as of yet. K&N cai with the intake mod you did & exhaust goes on this weekend. Then just a bunch of little stuff like tint, step bars, bed liner, custom mud flaps, hood decal.
Gonna have to sink some more money into our boat this year (no punt intended) so probably won't be too many more mods for awhile.
When money allows I will probably do headers & tune. You & several others on here say that is where the best bolt on HP comes from.

Liquid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500HD Blackout
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqaqa

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you have any additional specific on the type of rings used and factory gap specifications I'd like to hear it. Obviously the Hellcat's 6.2 vs the 6.4 provides an advantage in piston design for FI. But the Hellcat setup produces 11.6psi of boost, almost double what a basic Whipple kit is likely to make.

The Hellcat has a 9.5:1 cr, vs 10.9 in the SRT 6.4 and 10:1 in the Ram. So again, considering the relatively mild boost levels I don't think the 10:1 is unreasonable at all. Arrington offers a kit for the 5.7/6.4 Hemi (cars) and they state it's safe at 6psi on a stock 10.9:1 CR motor with hyperutectic pistons. All the Mustang 5.0 kits run just fine under 600hp with a bone stock motor, and they run 11:1 CR. Point being, compression alone isn't necessarily an issue.

Arrington Performance HEMI 6LB Supercharger Kit - shopHEMI.com

I don't know what the stock gap is but I would assume it close to the same as all the rest of the Hemi's. 6psi is pretty lame for $8k which is the point I was making. I ram 6psi on a stock 5.9L magnum RT, talk about a waste of time and money. The 6.4L Big Gas is a pretty awesome engine, if you're spending the money you way as well do it right the first time. I think 10psi is pretty reasonable.

Terry3blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The shorter stroke on the 6.2 probably is for higher rpm range.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The shorter stroke on the 6.2 probably is for higher rpm range.

The shorter stroke is stronger. The Hellcat is massively over built, I assume they were concerned with customers running them wide open for 36K miles and then bringing them back for warranty work. There are guy's running stock Hellcat engines with increased boost getting 1000hp.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't know what the stock gap is but I would assume it close to the same as all the rest of the Hemi's. 6psi is pretty lame for $8k which is the point I was making. I ram 6psi on a stock 5.9L magnum RT, talk about a waste of time and money. The 6.4L Big Gas is a pretty awesome engine, if you're spending the money you way as well do it right the first time. I think 10psi is pretty reasonable.

No doubt, but with Apache heads flowing in the 340 cfm range, 6-7 psi should still produce some decent numbers. Would really like to see some good torque gains across the curve more than anything else. Still more concerned about the trans then the motor at this point. If it holds then I can contemplate "doing it right" at some point down the road.

The way I justify it, option B is gears and a cam change. Gears will run 2-3k from most estimations. The cam change I assume would run between 1.5-2k between parts and labor since I really don't have time to do it myself these days. So at this point a Whipple really starts to make sense, considering the likely benefit over option B. Plus, if I sell the truck I can de-mod and recoup some of the investment. Not going to happen with gears or a cam.