6.4 Whipple Kit Release Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'll be this guy.

For 8k I would probably buy a Cummins and a tuner. I think it's cool and they will probably sell some but I think this truck is so heavy even with a Whipple you still wouldn't hit 12s in the 1/4 mile.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Diesel would have been the logical choice to make big power, no doubt. I have no idea how much hp you can extract on a modern Cummins with just a tune. But I suspect it still woulld have gotten into some expensive hard parts as well to run those kind of numbers. And you still have a similar trans durability issue with the 68RFE.

Again, never said it was a rational decision:)

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Diesel would have been the logical choice to make big power, no doubt. I have no idea how much hp you can extract on a modern Cummins with just a tune. But I suspect it still woulld have gotten into some expensive hard parts as well to run those kind of numbers. And you still have a similar trans durability issue with the 68RFE.

Again, never said it was a rational decision:)

Yep not being a hater. I just know my old bosses 09 model 6.7 with full exhaust and tuner was incredibly fast. Even with a trailer behind it lol.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with all the above ... But a FI 6.4 2500 gives me a chub~ You lucky *******!

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Latest update from Whipple on the 6.4 Ram kit:
We just made a 1 off billet manifold and are making the new inlet and gear cover now while waiting for the production cast pieces. We are fitting the 1 off parts to the truck now and should be starting the calibration work in about a week or 2. If all goes well for fitment and tuning, we should have production pieces in 60 days and start selling/shipping kits in about 90 days.

So will hopefully be available just in time for the spring thaw. Then 66RFE durability testing can commence:)

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

My ‘14 Cummins is rated @ 370/800, the Edge Juice w/Attitude on the “Hot” setting is +150/360.....I paid $225 used for it. It has 6 power levels, I haven’t used the top 3, & honestly only time I use it (other than for gauges & tire size correction) is when I tow, maybe 4 or 5 times a year.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I was thinking more about performance numbers in my comment, specifically running 12's in the quarter. Again, a diesel would have been the logical choice for power but I didn't want to deal with all the smog related bs. Especially since I don't tow regularly and take a lot of short trips.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The max a deleted Cummins diesel will go on a tune is about 525 hp/1,200 lb-ft at the wheels with the turbo being the limiting factor. Adding a larger turbo will get you to about 700 hp at which point fuel will be your limiting factor.

I generally keep mine on the 450 hp/ 950 lb-ft level 2 "street" tune when I am not towing. That is plenty enough power for me.

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The max a deleted Cummins diesel will go on a tune is about 525 hp/1,200 lb-ft at the wheels with the turbo being the limiting factor. Adding a larger turbo will get you to about 700 hp at which point fuel will be your limiting factor.

I generally keep mine on the 450 hp/ 950 lb-ft level 2 "street" tune when I am not towing. That is plenty enough power for me.

That is impressive off of just a tune and/or a turbo. How much power do you think the 68RFE would take before it grenades (TC aside)?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That is impressive off of just a tune and/or a turbo. How much power do you think the 68RFE would take before it grenades (TC aside)?

That depends on the what kind of tuner and if it has trans tuning. With trans tuning that increases max line pressure, alter shift points, and adjusts TC lock up strategy the 68RFE can survive for years at up to 450 hp. Some say the point at which it will not last long in everyday driving is 475 hp .... BOILING POINT, PART 3: HOW LONG BEFORE YOUR DODGE’S AUTOMATIC CRIES UNCLE?

Of course it all depends on how you drive it too. I have seen some last on 500 hp tunes if you don't tip in too much in 5th and 6th burning up the overdrive clutches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the link, interesting read. And a bit sobering regarding the maximum power levels.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Latest update from Whipple on the 6.4 Ram kit:

So will hopefully be available just in time for the spring thaw. Then 66RFE durability testing can commence:)

Dammit Viking!!! I am never going to be able to catch up to your MOD List! :) Really close to pulling the trigger on a tune. Probably do that right after they get that Parking Gear Recall fixed. Then maybe headers before next winter. Did you do your headers yourself? I have seen many different stories on the difficulty of installation but most of them have been on 1500's. If you did yours was it a pain in the drain?

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No, I don't have a lift so and didn't feel like lying under the truck all day. According to the shop it wasn't bad other than having some trouble with the dipstick tube. But still think it took them 4-5 hours shop time, my best recollection anyway. Hard to go wrong with either the tune or headers, but the HF trans tuning is worth the price of admission alone.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That depends on the what kind of tuner and if it has trans tuning. With trans tuning that increases max line pressure, alter shift points, and adjusts TC lock up strategy the 68RFE can survive for years at up to 450 hp. Some say the point at which it will not last long in everyday driving is 475 hp .... BOILING POINT, PART 3: HOW LONG BEFORE YOUR DODGE’S AUTOMATIC CRIES UNCLE?

Of course it all depends on how you drive it too. I have seen some last on 500 hp tunes if you don't tip in too much in 5th and 6th burning up the overdrive clutches.

Bold text is the most relevant. Even with stock tuning the 68RFE won't survive wide open shifts from 6th to 5th or 5th to 4th. TM is the only thing keeping the 68RFE alive even in stock form.