6.4L engine Block Heater?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a great cordless block heater.... it's on my key fob and I just push the button twice. 5 minutes later the block and the entire truck around it is toasty warm :) :)

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Now don’t take my word for it but iirc, there used to be a block heater that takes the place of your dip stick but I’m not sure they’re still make it. The other option, again if they still make them, is a block heater that sticks to your oil pan from underneath. Both are obviously aftermarket but worked back when. Just some thoughts.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Now don’t take my word for it but iirc, there used to be a block heater that takes the place of your dip stick but I’m not sure they’re still make it. The other option, again if they still make them, is a block heater that sticks to your oil pan from underneath. Both are obviously aftermarket but worked back when. Just some thoughts.

Thanks for sharing.

True block heaters heat the block by taking the place of a plug in the block in line of the coolant passages. So it warms the coolant then warming the actual block

Oil heaters are completely different. The warm the oil in the pan only. The block technically doesn’t get warmed

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Thanks for sharing.

True block heaters heat the block by taking the place of a plug in the block in line of the coolant passages. So it warms the coolant then warming the actual block

Oil heaters are completely different. The warm the oil in the pan only. The block technically doesn’t get warmed
Understand but warm oil will hit the lifters faster than cold oil, better then nothing right. I know true block heaters are internall, I was just mentioning some aftermarket ideas.

Reactions: U&A

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
Can someone confirm the heater element location and post a photo? This option wasn’t included in the Snow Chief Package was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
Can someone confirm the heater element location and post a photo? This option wasn’t included in the Snow Chief Package was it?

Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have no idea. Ill look on my truck. Its still on my list of mods. The 2 places i park most frequently (home and work) have a plug literally 2 feet from my front bumper.

I need this.

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
I have no idea. Ill look on my truck. Its still on my list of mods. The 2 places i park most frequently (home and work) have a plug literally 2 feet from my front bumper.

I need this.

So do I

I just crawled under the truck to see if I could find it. No luck, can’t see where it could even be installed. I can see the freeze plug on the head and the square casting that sticks out on the block, but nowhere for the element to go. The only place I can think now is that it’s behind the starter.

A picture of an element installed or just the open hole would be very helpful, or even a description of its location in relation to the things I need ruined above.

Last edited:

BevisIII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l hemi
To heat my block, I just go behind the grocery store on the way home, pick up a couple of pallets, place the pallets under the truck. In the morning I go out and light the pallets on fire, go inside, make coffee and when I go outside the block and truck are warm and toasty. If you try this please take a video and pics!! I would like to see an actual pic of where the block heater is also.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I think the location is up high on the block. Drivers side in the back. I still have not looked.

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Its not a block heater that goes into the water jacket. There is a hole in the block casting that is on the drivers side, just below the deck surface, and just forward of the bellhousing flange. The heater simply slides in there, and a single bolt retains it. Metal on metal contact is what transfers heat. Many manufacturers have had "dry" block heaters for awhile.

Reactions: U&A

Don_T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2018 3500 with the Snow Chief package has a block heater.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Metal on metal contact is what transfers heat. Many manufacturers have had "dry" block heaters for awhile.

Since the block heater is a metal on metal type, use some Never-Seez on the heater before you put it in the hole. Not only will it help if you have to remove/replace the heater down the road but also aids in heat transfer.
Never-Seez is rated well over 1000°, it will easily withstand engine temps.

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
Since the block heater is a metal on metal type, use some Never-Seez on the heater before you put it in the hole. Not only will it help if you have to remove/replace the heater down the road but also aids in heat transfer.
Never-Seez is rated well over 1000°, it will easily withstand engine temps.

What temperature would this need to be rated for?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What temperature would this need to be rated for?

The engine running will be a higher temp then the block heater will get during operation. If I had to get, the block heater may get into mid 200s while heating the block.
I've used Never-Seez on nuts/bolts on exhaust system parts with no issues. Easily removed many years later.

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
The engine running will be a higher temp then the block heater will get during operation. If I had to get, the block heater may get into mid 200s while heating the block.
I've used Never-Seez on nuts/bolts on exhaust system parts with no issues. Easily removed many years later.

Any idea what the heater element is made of, I would assume stainless steel or aluminum. Also, the 6.4 block is iron or steel correct? I ask because you can run into issues if you use a nickel based anti-seize between steel and aluminum parts. The combination of those three metals and the addition of water can actually create what is essentially a battery which would not be good. It could potential he hold an electric charge or have a corrosive affect.

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
Ok, mine is a 2018 ram 2500 tradesmen 6.4 hemi 4 x 4 with the snow chief package and I do not have the block heater. You would think something called the snow chief package would come with things that makes sense to have in a cold climate. Albeit this is an Alabama truck and I wonder if the vehicle Destiination has anything to do with whether or not the heater is present. I was able to confirm this by reaching up behind the starter and feeling around on the block for an opening. It is someone hiding behind the starter heat shield and was a little bit tricky to locate. I was able to get some pictures to show you guys where it is and what it looks like. I plan on doing an install of the factory engine block heater and when I do I will do a write up and post it. I hope this helps.98ecb4bbacfb11ef93caa835fa15b3bb.jpg9abc736e797ffc75e4a792769a57c78f.jpg5f8390d7740556deb36a06a796ebe6ed.jpg71ab7b3b5a4a62c622d28104165b405c.jpg35438c43258773dd83c26a42ea23704b.jpg