6.4L with Off-Road Package - still need leveling kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjamin247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just bought my 2017 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab with the Off-Road package. It looks pretty high and was wondering if I still need to install a leveling kit to put some 37" tires on here (with 20" rims). If you have that setup, please show pics and info on tire and wheel.

UrbanKnight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haven't tried 37", but you will need some sort of level at least, as most 35's don't clear

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FYI, the off-road package doesn't change ride height or suspension setup other than the Bilstein shocks. So setup/fitment would be no different than any other 2500 excluding the PW. Good luck.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
FYI, the off-road package doesn't change ride height or suspension setup other than the Bilstein shocks. So setup/fitment would be no different than any other 2500 excluding the PW. Good luck.

The 4x4 off road package does make the truck taller than a standard truck. I had a 2015 Cummins 4x4 crew cab 6.4 bed and with my Leer topper I had 2+ inches of clearance getting in my garage. With the 2017 off Road, same body style, I had to remove a 1/2 trim board to get the same topper in and I get by with about 1/4 inch to spare now.

So I don't know what's different, but the 4x4 Off Road Package is definitely taller than a standard 4x4 truck. Parked next to a 2017 Power Wagon they are about the same height.

As for the leveling kit, the truck is still about 2 inches lower in the front. No idea what tires fit though with or without... sorry.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mam that's cool I didn't even know Ram offered something like that. Since the off-road package has some changes to the suspension does that affect the payload or towing capabilities like the PW?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Maybe the Hemi just sits higher than the Cummins without the extra 1000lbs on the nose:D As Danny said, some tire options have a bigger diameter than others, with the 20" being the tallest. If there is some change in springs it was never listed in any of the specs. There is nothing separately listed regarding Off-Road package specific towing or hauling specifications. PW is the only model listed separately.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2017/docs/ram/rammlup2500.pdf

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
my guess is your new truck has taller tires then your old truck did. doesnt look like theres any difference in ride height between a standard 2500 and an offroad 2500.

2017 Ram 2500 4x4 Off-Road Package

Yea the specs say nothing about it. (The specs also list the Power Wagon as the same height as a regular truck without the 4x4 package too, 77.7 inches.)

But put a 2017 Power Wagon next to a 2017 4x4 Off Road package truck and they are the same height. (Same Firestone TransForce AT's too.)

Or put a 2017 4x4 Off Road Package truck next to any other non-ORP truck and it's about 2-3 inches taller, like a Power Wagon.

From all I've read and they have told me when I bought it, it's up to the full tow and haul weight limits of a regular truck, 15000#'s. I know the Power Wagon suspension is softened up a bit and I think that's why the tow and haul weights are reduced. My guess is the 4x4 Off Road Package gives you the height, but not the softness. But that's just a guess.

For what it's worth, my truck is 79 3/4 inches from the floor of the garage to the top of the highest point on the cab, and there's 8.5 inches from the top of the front tire to the bottom of the fender flare, and 10.5 inches from the top of the rear tire to the bottom of the fender flare as it came from the factory.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If the truck sits the same height as a PW, then you can possibly fit 37's with minimal trimming up front...not sure with the stock 20's, but I did it with +18 offset 18x9.5 wheels. Something to look into, I guess. The only thing I get close to hitting is the pinch weld on the back side of the front tires.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea the specs say nothing about it. (The specs also list the Power Wagon as the same height as a regular truck without the 4x4 package too, 77.7 inches.)

But put a 2017 Power Wagon next to a 2017 4x4 Off Road package truck and they are the same height. (Same Firestone TransForce AT's too.)

Or put a 2017 4x4 Off Road Package truck next to any other non-ORP truck and it's about 2-3 inches taller, like a Power Wagon.

From all I've read and they have told me when I bought it, it's up to the full tow and haul weight limits of a regular truck, 15000#'s. I know the Power Wagon suspension is softened up a bit and I think that's why the tow and haul weights are reduced. My guess is the 4x4 Off Road Package gives you the height, but not the softness. But that's just a guess.

For what it's worth, my truck is 79 3/4 inches from the floor of the garage to the top of the highest point on the cab, and there's 8.5 inches from the top of the front tire to the bottom of the fender flare, and 10.5 inches from the top of the rear tire to the bottom of the fender flare as it came from the factory.

the power wagon does not come with firestone transforce tires (and i cant imagine a power wagon owner putting them on there), so my guess is what you were parked next to was not a power wagon, making them the same height.

if the offroad package added 2" of height, that would be a pretty big deal and you would see more about that. its not something they would be hiding.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

The Power Wagon comes with 33" Duratracs.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
the power wagon does not come with firestone transforce tires (and i cant imagine a power wagon owner putting them on there), so my guess is what you were parked next to was not a power wagon, making them the same height.

if the offroad package added 2" of height, that would be a pretty big deal and you would see more about that. its not something they would be hiding.

Yea, I thought it was a Power Wagon because the tires said "Firestone AT" on the side...

Maybe I thought what was parked next to me was a Power Wagon because it had those SCREAMING WILD GRAPHICS ON THE SIDE OF IT AND LETTERING THAT SAID POWER WAGON a red grill, cab lights, and a winch in the bumper. lol

I agree, I am not sure why they don't make a bigger deal about it. But go down to any dealer and compare a 4x4 Off Road package to a Power Wagon and they are the same height.

As for the tires, I thought the Power Wagon didn't come with the Wranglers anymore like they did in 2012, I thought they were using the Firestone, but I guess they are Duratracs. Doesn't change the height of the 4x4 Package. 33"s are 33"s regardless of how crappy they are.

And my truck is still 79 3/4 inches to the top of the cab. The specs say a normal 4x4 without the package is 77.7 inches. But the specs also say the Power Wagon is 77.7 inches too. As I've said before.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Would you post a picture of the manufacturer tag on your front track bar?

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea, I thought it was a Power Wagon because the tires said "Firestone AT" on the side...

Maybe I thought what was parked next to me was a Power Wagon because it had those SCREAMING WILD GRAPHICS ON THE SIDE OF IT AND LETTERING THAT SAID POWER WAGON a red grill, cab lights, and a winch in the bumper. lol

I agree, I am not sure why they don't make a bigger deal about it. But go down to any dealer and compare a 4x4 Off Road package to a Power Wagon and they are the same height.

As for the tires, I thought the Power Wagon didn't come with the Wranglers anymore like they did in 2012, I thought they were using the Firestone, but I guess they are Duratracs. Doesn't change the height of the 4x4 Package. 33"s are 33"s regardless of how crappy they are.

And my truck is still 79 3/4 inches to the top of the cab. The specs say a normal 4x4 without the package is 77.7 inches. But the specs also say the Power Wagon is 77.7 inches too. As I've said before.

The Power Wagon came with BFG AT's in 2012. Depending on the tires, some of the OE wheel and tire combos are actually 34" whereas the 2014+ Power Wagon's come with 33" Duratracs. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the 2500 suspension but the 2" lift on a Power Wagon isn't just shocks and springs. Some of the major component difference to maintain geometry changes are springs, shocks, front track bar, rear axle housing, rear sway bar, rear sway bar links, brake lines, and lots of other minor parts.

If your truck came with 2" of lift, this would be a fairly significant change from what Ram announced when they released the Offroad package details. The lift would also be a significant departure from category competitors.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

i just snapped some pics of measurements from the top of the tire to the bottom of the flare on my completely stock power wagon. looks like about 2" over the measurements you posted. sorry to have to tell you this but despite what you want to believe, your truck is not any higher then a regular 2500, nor is it the same height as a power wagon.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 76
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 70

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
i just snapped some pics of measurements from the top of the tire to the bottom of the flare on my completely stock power wagon. looks like about 2" over the measurements you posted. sorry to have to tell you this but despite what you want to believe, your truck is not any higher then a regular 2500, nor is it the same height as a power wagon.

What's the height to the top of the highest point on your cab? That would be about where the center is between the two doors. The extra 2 inches in the wheel wells should translate to about 81 and 3/4 inches in overall height if it is any indication of overall truck height, and that would make it 2 inches taller than mine.

When my truck is parked next to a standard 2500 4x4 it's taller.

I also had to remove a trim board from the lip of the garage door to get the truck with the Leer canopy in, that was on my 2015 Cummins, in order for it to clear. The Cummins had 2 inches to spare.

When it was next to the 2017 Power Wagon on the lot, it looked about the same height at the time, the mirrors were equal from the ground. Maybe that's an easier dimension to compare... from the garage floor to the bottom lip of my drivers mirror in the center is 58.5 inches.

And sorry to have to tell you this, but my truck can tow 15,000 pounds, or about 5000 pounds more than yours can... Nah nah na nah... :)

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Measure from the bumpstop cup lip to the axle strike face. That's about the only accurate lift height measurement. Or post pictures of your track bar manufacturer's tag. Or a picture of the track bar mount on the rear axle.

Last edited:

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The Power Wagon came with BFG AT's in 2012. Depending on the tires, some of the OE wheel and tire combos are actually 34" whereas the 2014+ Power Wagon's come with 33" Duratracs. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the 2500 suspension but the 2" lift on a Power Wagon isn't just shocks and springs. Some of the major component difference to maintain geometry changes are springs, shocks, front track bar, rear axle housing, rear sway bar, rear sway bar links, brake lines, and lots of other minor parts.

If your truck came with 2" of lift, this would be a fairly significant change from what Ram announced when they released the Offroad package details. The lift would also be a significant departure from category competitors.

I thought the 2012 had BFG AT's on it... I put 12000 miles on one of those and couldn't live with the 11.5 mpg's with 4.56 gears so I traded it for the 2015 Cummins.

Yea, I know all about the PW differences. You know the storage bins in the floor behind the front seats? On the 2012 PW the outer housings are metal, not composite...

Hey, just to be clear, I am not making any claims here as to what's what. All I know so far is that my truck seems to be taller than some other trucks. That's why I'm throwing the measurements out there, I'd like to know why my truck is taller, when it really shouldn't be. (Next time I get a chance, I'm headed over to my dealer and measure some of their stock trucks. I'll take pictures. :) )

My first clue was when I had to remodel my garage in order for it to fit, when it was no problem in my 2015 Cummins. Obviously something has changed. You guys telling me over and over that I'm wrong is kinda stupid. My garage knows I'm not...

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Measure from the bumpstop cup lip to the axle strike face. That's about the only accurate lift height measurement. Or post pictures of your track bar manufacturer's tag. Or a picture of the track bar mount on the rear axle.

From the bump stop cup lip to the rear axle strike face is about 8 inches. Metal to metal, ignoring the rubber bumper.