6.7 Cummins ticking noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sneekyklub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've seen a lot of other 4th Gen diesel owners have the same problem as I have. I own a 2013 2500 diesel with a G-56. 39,000 miles. The engine makes a loud ticking sound at all times. When idling, driving, clutch depressed or not. It seems to be coming from around the back of the engine or bellhousing area. It's a very noticeable and annoying noise, and I can't pinpoint it. I've been to the dealer and they said they compared it to another truck of theirs and it's normal. It certainly is not. I tested a friend's 2012 cummins g-56 and it had this noise but it was so faint I had to strain to hear it. I know I'm not the only one with this issue but I haven't seen a fix yet. Any help or suggestions?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is it possibly the HPFP? It does pump upwards of 29,000 psi They "tick" when they run. You could be hearing it resonate from the fuel lines?
Usually with a diesel, if it is ticking, clanging, or banging noise that is the signal of something wrong, it usually won't last long before that something let's loose

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Can you post a video?

This could be anything from HPFP ticking to emissions ticking noise when in regen which is normal.

If you are under 100k miles, then you should still be under your powertrain warranty and I would advise to take it in if you are that concerned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sneekyklub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Can you post a video?

This could be anything from HPFP ticking to emissions ticking noise when in regen which is normal.

If you are under 100k miles, then you should still be under your powertrain warranty and I would advise to take it in if you are that concerned.
I can post a video after work. I've also tried taking the truck in to the dealer and they didn't want to do anything with it. They say it's normal. The truck runs 100%, but this noise is loud enough that it's embarrassing to drive through town or a parking lot. I'll climb under it again this evening and look for loose things

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I can post a video after work. I've also tried taking the truck in to the dealer and they didn't want to do anything with it. They say it's normal. The truck runs 100%, but this noise is loud enough that it's embarrassing to drive through town or a parking lot. I'll climb under it again this evening and look for loose things

I know what you mean. My truck had a constant squeak going over the slightest bump and was hell going down dirt roads since I pulled it off the lot. I took it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong. After about 6 months I finally had enough. I mounted my GoPro at certain areas to pin point where the noise was coming from. I found out there was a bolt missing from the spare tire shield. Nothing wrong my ass!

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Oh, and when you are making the video. Check to see if you still have your noise panel covering up your injector lines. When this is missing, the ticking noise from the HPFP is noticeably louder.

If you need any other diagrams then let me know. I have access to Cummins Quickserve.

Here is a picture of it.

Cummins noise panel.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sneekyklub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Definitely will do. I'd love an easy fix like that. I've read about other possibilities like fuel line clamps coming loose or valve lash out of adjustment. Are those likely culprits?

OP
OP
S

Sneekyklub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I have uploaded a video to YouTube, but I'm having trouble getting the link posted here. If you search - 2013 6.7 ticking noise? - you'll find the video posted by sneekyklub. I've also looked for the noise shield and it is present. Hope this video gives somebody a clue. Thanks, Caleb

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That ticking does sound like the emissions ticking when it regens or the DEF injector, but you say this happens all the time?

It also sounds like the HPFP, but it should not be that loud.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sneekyklub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yes. I just drove from southern CA to portland for work, so it's had plenty of time on the highway to regen. It's had this tick since I bought it with 35,000 miles on it.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I will show the video to my guys(technicians) and see what they say.

OP
OP
S

Sneekyklub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I will show the video to my guys(technicians) and see what they say.
Has anyone had an idea as to what is making that noise?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Has anyone had an idea as to what is making that noise?

Sorry, the end and beginning of the month is hectic for me at work and I have not been able to ask my guys. I will let you know.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
My guys say it can be a myriad of causes for the tick to tell from the video. From injection timing a little off, valve lash, to an exhaust leak.

My most experience tech said that some(very few) engines just have that tick from day one and he has torn engines apart including his own trying to find it and only being able to get rid of it on a few. Even some of the bigger 15.0L ISX engines will have the tick all their life. He said it is only an annoyance for most engines and does not alter the engines longevity or performance. Sorry I couldn't help.

porch boy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sneekyklub, your post, the mystery tick on the 6.7 , i watched the you tube clip and a 2014 2500 that i would like to buy has the same exact noise, have you figured out what it was and did ya come up with a fix.would really appreciate any help. thx porch

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I was going to say DEF injector but you said your friends 2012 only had a slight tick. No DEF on 2012. My DEF injector ticks on my 2016 and the noise can be hard to pinpoint since it radiates throughout the exhaust system. It can sound like it is coming from the back of the engine sometimes. I crawled under there and was able to localize to the injector. Once I touched it, I could feel the pulses.

Jeff Bottemiller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I bought a 2012 diesel 3500 used last year. In reading through the service documentation I saw one that referred to a ticking sound. The tech said that the crank dampener was separating from itself, moving inward against the timing cover. It also ruined the belt. They replaced the crankshaft pully, bolt, and belt. Truck had 76K miles at that time. Right at 100K miles now

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
i have 2018 g56 6.7 2500. it has a tick but not loud like that one in the video. mine seems to quiet down when i do an oil change. i suspect valve lash on mine. 50k miles on it. cheers! OP - any updates?