Adding OEM Tow Hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My truck didn't come with factory tow hooks, so I thought I might add them. I started looking around for them and identified part # 68171791AA as the tow hook. For those that have purchased them after market, are they really $100+ each or are they sold as a pair?

Do you have to also purchase part # 6507667AA, listed as a tow hook retainer plate?

Do they come with all the necessary nuts/bolts to mount? Are they an easy bolt up (they look like they should be)?

Thanks.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Nice! Thanks! Do you know if that's everything needed to mount as well or just the hooks?

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it me or is this one of the more overprice of OEM goods? I wanted to add but maybe at half the cost.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Arnt there aftermarkets available for less?

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
I have these for you...Came off my 2015 2500...$100.00...Flat rate shipping would be another $20.00...I take paypal...E-Mail [email protected]

Attachments

• DSC07326.jpg
    DSC07326.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC07325.jpg
    DSC07325.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 325

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This place has them for $147, I'm sure there may be other forum sponsors, but there is a link to the install instructions

http://www.moparonlineparts.com/docs/82212185AB.pdf

Looks like everything is in the kit, but a PITA to install. I don't know of anyone that has done it.

What the actual ****? The instructions have you disassemble the entire front of the truck. The grill and bumper both have to come off? I'm gonna file that in the oh hell no category. I've lived my entire life without tow hooks, think I'll survive without them until the next truck if that's the nonsense I have to go through to get them. Jeez.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What the actual ****? The instructions have you disassemble the entire front of the truck. The grill and bumper both have to come off? I'm gonna file that in the oh hell no category. I've lived my entire life without tow hooks, think I'll survive without them until the next truck if that's the nonsense I have to go through to get them. Jeez.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

That information is false. I actually got a set of these off a used bumper that came in our shop and just put them on my truck 2 weeks ago. You can do 1 side at a time never dropping the bumper or touching the grille. Remove upper and lower bolts, slide reinforcement brackets into place, bolt tow hooks to them tighten down,move to other tow hook and repeat...

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yeah, you can do the bottom inner bolts from up top, the rest under the truck and the darn tow hooks come off.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
That information is false. I actually got a set of these off a used bumper that came in our shop and just put them on my truck 2 weeks ago. You can do 1 side at a time never dropping the bumper or touching the grille. Remove upper and lower bolts, slide reinforcement brackets into place, bolt tow hooks to them tighten down,move to other tow hook and repeat...

Yeah, you can do the bottom inner bolts from up top, the rest under the truck and the darn tow hooks come off.

So you just loosen the bumper on each side, put the brackets in, bolt up the hooks and tighten the bumper back up? Does the wheel well liner have to come out too? If I don't have to disassemble the entire front of the truck I'm far more likely to do this.

I saw a write up in the DIY section but it looked to be for a 1500 so I don't think it really applies to our trucks.

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you just loosen the bumper on each side, put the brackets in, bolt up the hooks and tighten the bumper back up? Does the wheel well liner have to come out too? If I don't have to disassemble the entire front of the truck I'm far more likely to do this.

I saw a write up in the DIY section but it looked to be for a 1500 so I don't think it really applies to our trucks.
Climb under your truck and look. If you do one side at a time all from under the truck you need not remove anything at all. You might need a helper to tighten hooks from outside of bumper while your holding a wrench and or ratchet on the bolts on the inside..

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Climb under your truck and look. If you do one side at a time all from under the truck you need not remove anything at all. You might need a helper to tighten hooks from outside of bumper while your holding a wrench and or ratchet on the bolts on the inside..

Next time I have a chance at the dealer I'll have to climb under one and see how the retaining plates are positioned. From what I could see of the diagram it looked like they slide into the frame rail, but this is the part where I'm not sure, hence my incredulity at the instructions indicating complete disassembly of the front of the truck. It looked like they should just bolt up to the 4 holes I can see through the bumper but apparently there's the retaining plate to deal with. I'll look at one when I get a chance and see how everything fits together. Thanks!

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just installed the left half of a set of LED bumper mount brackets that mount to the tow hooks today. It involved taking the two inside bolts off the tow hooks. It was a SOB to reach the nuts and get a wrench on them to get them loose and even worse getting them back on. I ended up having to lightly tape the nuts to the wrench to get them up there and get the threads started. I only did half because I ran out of time as, before I got into it, I though it was going to be a quick unbolt to bolts on each side and put them back on. Very hard to reach the nuts with the tools I had. The right side appears to be as hard or harder to reach but I'll get it done as I will not disassemble the front of the truck to do this. Anybody got a secret tool that will fit up in that tight space to hold the nut?

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
They are not hard to install, dropping the bumper is easy.
Just make sure you install the reinforcement brackets a long with the hooks....you can buy just the hooks for cheap or the whole kit that is more money.

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed the left half of a set of LED bumper mount brackets that mount to the tow hooks today. It involved taking the two inside bolts off the tow hooks. It was a SOB to reach the nuts and get a wrench on them to get them loose and even worse getting them back on. I ended up having to lightly tape the nuts to the wrench to get them up there and get the threads started. I only did half because I ran out of time as, before I got into it, I though it was going to be a quick unbolt to bolts on each side and put them back on. Very hard to reach the nuts with the tools I had. The right side appears to be as hard or harder to reach but I'll get it done as I will not disassemble the front of the truck to do this. Anybody got a secret tool that will fit up in that tight space to hold the nut?

spin_prod_951010112_zpsx0avbvyx.jpg

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I have these for you...Came off my 2015 2500...$100.00...Flat rate shipping would be another $20.00...I take paypal...E-Mail [email protected]

If I didn't have mines I would buy these so I would recommend anybody to get them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963