Adding OEM Tow Hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hate to be a wet blanket on this thread but you might wanna check out this other thread on the front tow hooks.

http://www.ramforum.com/f158/adjusting_front_bumber_after_using_towhooks-89968/

Yeah, I saw that thread and read through it. Definitely making me rethink my interest in OEM hooks. Now I'm just wondering if there's a better system out there that will work with the OEM bumper. I saw some D-rings that mount in the stock location but then I just wonder how you keep those from bouncing off the bumper every time you hit a bump. With a painted bumper, that's sure to do some damage. And I wonder if they'd suffer the same problem of tweaking the bumper when used.

maclean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I bought mine on eBay for $50 as a take off.

Cgrant726

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone know what size the bolts are for mounting the tow hooks? I just bought a dealer take off set for $80 shipped on eBay, but does not include the bolts. I can't seem to find the size of the bolts anywhere. I just picked up a 2016 2500 6.4 w black appearance group.

popjim52

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Tradesman 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are we sure these guys with the bent up bumpers have the reinforcement plates bolted to the frame and to the tow hooks or are the tow hooks just mounted to the plate with four holes????

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Are we sure these guys with the bent up bumpers have the reinforcement plates bolted to the frame and to the tow hooks or are the tow hooks just mounted to the plate with four holes????

That is also what I am wondering about for those that claim the bumper is moving...

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Do you still have these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless you're stuck on getting the stockers, the ebay shackle mounts and shackles are beefy and easy to install for less $$.

ram pic.jpg

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Unless you're stuck on getting the stockers, the ebay shackle mounts and shackles are beefy and easy to install for less $$.

View attachment 122377

How do they hold up? Good powder coating? I have the brackets already, just need the hooks and bolts/nuts.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
How do they hold up? Good powder coating? I have the brackets already, just need the hooks and bolts/nuts.

Well, I haven't had to use them yet. But the mount they come with is a whole lot thicker than the material it mounts to on the truck. The mounts were powder coated black and still look new. I just scuffed-up and rattle-canned the shackles red. I've popped the shackles off and reshot them once in 18 months.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, I haven't had to use them yet. But the mount they come with is a whole lot thicker than the material it mounts to on the truck. The mounts were powder coated black and still look new. I just scuffed-up and rattle-canned the shackles red. I've popped the shackles off and reshot them once in 18 months.

Did you need new bolts? I bet I could get bolts at Lowe’s that would work. Now to figure out the size. Thanks brother!

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Did you need new bolts? I bet I could get bolts at Lowe’s that would work. Now to figure out the size. Thanks brother!

Yeah, I just got some Grade-8 bolts from Home Depot. I don't remember what size now. I do remember the top two are larger than the bottom or vise-versa and had to go back though... so learn from my mistake!

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, I just got some Grade-8 bolts from Home Depot. I don't remember what size now. I do remember the top two are larger than the bottom or vise-versa and had to go back though... so learn from my mistake!

LoL what would truck work be without making 2-3 trips to the store!

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '17 Big Horn came with them. Its kind of an expensive option I could live without, but they seem to be handy.

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Do you still have these?

Nope....Sold in less than an hour after I made the post...Ofcourse they sold to the SECOND guy who e-mailed me...The first douch decide to lowball then wait a few days and see if the price dropped...lol...It was comical when he contacted me again a few days later to see if I would take his lowball offer..."SORRY douch"..."They sold for full price plus shipping"...LOL

Moral to the story...."Don't be a lowball douch"

Last edited:

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I agree. I would already have them on my truck if they weren't so damn high. These should be standard on the 2500 and up trucks.

It took me a few weeks to realize my truck didn’t have them. I found the tow hooks on my 06 to be almost worthless. They were recessed too far back in the bumper and had too little clearance to get a tow strap on. It looks like the newer trucks use the same tow hooks. I’m looking at a set of these
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/222606793745