Advice from 2500 CTD owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Long story made short, I can't make up my mind on a new truck but the decision is being impacted dramatically by what I can get in the not too distant future. My dealership offers a good discount program for first responders (MIL/LE/Fire/EMS) which I qualify for and want to take advantage of if possible. The problem is they don't have what I initially was looking for so I'm going through different options. From what little info I can find, when Ram does finally decide to allow me to order a 2018 (RCSB) I probably won't get it until mid November, I can't be without a truck that long. I am now considering a 2500 CTD and would like some honest advice as to whether it would be a good choice. My intentions for the truck are as follows:

-Whatever I buy will not be a daily driver, at least not anytime soon.

-It will mostly be used for trips to the farm we lease to hunt, out of state hunting trips an annual fishing trip to Canada and family vacations. As much as I hate the thought, I may allow my wife to take it on her out of state business trips a few times a year if she can convince me she won't drive it like she does our CC 1500 (like Mario Andretti).

-Plowing snow would be an option to make money with the truck.

-My hunting partner and I have an electric 4wd hunting vehicle we tow and are looking to pick up a mid sized tractor and implements for working food plots which would be towed from farm to farm as well. He also has a 34' camper which I would likely tow a few times a year if I buy a 2500.

This truck will likely be the nicest vehicle I ever buy. I intend to keep it until it becomes cost prohibitive to do so. I would like to put a 4" lift and 35's on it (maybe 37's) and a cap, no other mods until the warranty runs out and I have no interest in trying to squeeze 1000hp out of it down the road.

Would it be foolish to purchase a Cummins? I have no issues with the Hemi, ours has run great for 65k miles now but I have wanted a diesel truck for 20+ years. I'm not overly concerned with the cost at this point, more curious if my stated uses would be damaging to a modern day diesel (not enough work?)

Thanks in advance for putting up with the long read and providing honest opinions based on experience.

Last edited:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get the diesel-
Nice thing is the lift with bigger tires wont hurt ur performance- it would in a gas especially when it came time to tow-
The diesel maintance cost is prolly really close to the 6.4 hemi-
The Diesel is going to get better gas mileage -
If I could go back I would of dropped my trim lvl and got the diesel," I have this thought once a month" but my wife won't let me get another truck untill I get her the car she wants- so I got another 6-10 years lol.
Don't be scared of the emissions stuff - these trucks run good.
My 6.4 runs me about 100$ to do the oil every 8 months or so.
Sure I don't have the same fuel filters or same oil but cost is close to the same... but that's where the differences stop.. same trans/transfercase.. I am sure the added fuel mileage should cover the def fluid. More will chime in, that's my opinion.

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
If you truly want it and can afford it, get it!! That's what i did and dont regret it one bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We could go on and on about the pros and cons between which would be best for you but I think you should go with what you've always wanted. Both the 6.4 hemi and CTD will be great for what you want/need it to do. But at the end of the day you need to go with what will make you happy especially if this may be the last nice truck you buy

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It sounds like a lot of what you're worried about is lack of use? If so, I think you'll be fine. There are some old diesel engine myths that die slowly around the internet. One being that a diesel must be taken out and driven hard 200 miles a day.

Sure, a modern diesel may be a little more sensitive than a gasser to extremely short trips and little use but as long as you get it up to operating temperature a couple times a week you'll be just fine. The real beauty is you have a warranty for 3 years on everything and 5 on the powertrain. If you're really worried you can always extend those.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Thank you gentlemen

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
My two Bits..........get the Cummins but I would tell you to throw out the 2500 and get the 3500. The additional cost is negligible and you get much more payload capacity and a fair amount of tow capacity over the 2500. You mention you will be towing trailers and one of them an RV type. What is the chance you will ever step up to a 5er? If a remote possibility then definately get the 3500. Also, you sound like you will use your truck much the same way we use my 2500 6.4 Hemi, family vacations and road trips. I would take a long had look at a Mega Cab. Best thing since sliced bread.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
My two Bits..........get the Cummins but I would tell you to throw out the 2500 and get the 3500. The additional cost is negligible and you get much more payload capacity and a fair amount of tow capacity over the 2500. You mention you will be towing trailers and one of them an RV type. What is the chance you will ever step up to a 5er? If a remote possibility then definately get the 3500. Also, you sound like you will use your truck much the same way we use my 2500 6.4 Hemi, family vacations and road trips. I would take a long had look at a Mega Cab. Best thing since sliced bread.

The 2500 is actually rated to tow slightly more than a comparable 3500.

I also don't go by the payload ratings from the factory especially since their is no legal reason to, but that is some people preference. While I will not say that my 2500 will not be able to handle the 4k payload that a 3500 like my truck will, I will say that it can safely and reliably handle way more than its 2k payload. I put about 3k in the back all the time and it safely handles it without much squat.

It just all boils down to whether you are one of those that wants to go by the payload sticker and don't mind paying the higher registration fees(depending on where you live) for it. As stated, there is no legal reason to abide by the tire load and inflation sticker and it depends on ones experience and knowledge of these trucks to make that decision. After all, some people need a "Do not touch while engine is running" sticker next to the serpentine belt while others don't.

Also, if someone gets tires that have a lower max capacity rating than the stock tires(which happens all the time) then the number on the door is useless.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
The 2500 is actually rated to tow slightly more than a comparable 3500.

I also don't go by the payload ratings from the factory especially since their is no legal reason to, but that is some people preference. While I will not say that my 2500 will not be able to handle the 4k payload that a 3500 like my truck will, I will say that it can safely and reliably handle way more than its 2k payload. I put about 3k in the back all the time and it safely handles it without much squat.

It just all boils down to whether you are one of those that wants to go by the payload sticker and don't mind paying the higher registration fees(depending on where you live) for it. As stated, there is no legal reason to abide by the tire load and inflation sticker and it depends on ones experience and knowledge of these trucks to make that decision. After all, some people need a "Do not touch while engine is running" sticker next to the serpentine belt while others don't.

Also, if someone gets tires that have a lower max capacity rating than the stock tires(which happens all the time) then the number on the door is useless.

Well, then go ahead and post up the sale trim level truck in diesel but one 2500 and the other 3500. Show me that the 2500 tows slightly more.

On your other points, I don't disagree. However, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Well, then go ahead and post up the sale trim level truck in diesel but one 2500 and the other 3500. Show me that the 2500 tows slightly more.

On your other points, I don't disagree. However, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Ram Body Builder's Guide (<---open in ie, will not work in Chrome)

2017 2500 tow chart.jpg

2017 3500 tow chart.jpg

As you can see, the 2500 diesel is rated to tow the same or a little more than a SRW 3500 diesel in a comparable configuration.

As you can also see, the max GVWR of the 2500 trucks is 10k due to its 2b class regulation. I can guarantee that if DOT changed the 2b truck class to have a max GVWR of 11k, then the Ram 2500's would have their GVWR's increased to 11k overnight without them changing a thing.

I have worked in the medium and heavy duty truck industry all my life and have had to deal with these outdated truck class weight regulations that were made decades ago. The max weight limits of most of the classes are outdated because trucks have progressed in capabilities and the limits have not changed to match them. This would require a bureaucrat to do his job so I would not hold my breath waiting for it.

Until then, I will rely on my experience and knowledge of trucks to help me make a sound judgement on what loads are safe for my class de-rated truck. I generally keep my loads below 3.2k and tow no more than 14k. My 2500 has shown that it will easily and safely handle these weights, and I do not need to tow or haul more than this so I feel no need to get more truck than this.

Judging by the recent threads and posts of 2500 owners safely hauling more than the what their truck is rated for, I do not feel I am alone in this sentiment. If some feel they need to be within rated numbers to be safe, then by all means get the 3500. I am just not one of those people.

2017 2500 tow chart.jpg

2017 3500 tow chart.jpg

Last edited: