advice on psi for new toyo tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
comrades!

installed toyo open country tires on truck this past weekend. e rated tire....

any advice on what psi to run? no towing. just construction materials in truck...

currently they are at 60.

yes, the tpms will blink forever.

i refuse to run factory psi in these tires, due to wearing them out too soon.

thanks in advance for input.

cheers

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I run 305/70/18 with 55 front 45 rear

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the best method to set tire pressure, and works with any vehicle or tire. Pick up a heat gun. Most auto parts places carry them. Maybe $30. Drive around for a bit to get the tires up to temperature. Get out and shoot the tires in the center, and at the sides of the tread face. If the center is warmer, they're over inflated. If it's cooler, they're under inflated. You want them to be a uniform temperature across the entire tread face. It'll usually vary a degree or two, and that's ok. Been using this method for several years now without any issues. I rarely use my tire gauges anymore. Now if you intentionally want to run a certain psi, it won't work. This only works for proper inflation.

wink

OP
OP
N

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
This is the best method to set tire pressure, and works with any vehicle or tire. Pick up a heat gun. Most auto parts places carry them. Maybe $30. Drive around for a bit to get the tires up to temperature. Get out and shoot the tires in the center, and at the sides of the tread face. If the center is warmer, they're over inflated. If it's cooler, they're under inflated. You want them to be a uniform temperature across the entire tread face. It'll usually vary a degree or two, and that's ok. Been using this method for several years now without any issues. I rarely use my tire gauges anymore. Now if you intentionally want to run a certain psi, it won't work. This only works for proper inflation.

wink

i have a infared thermometer. that is good info. thanks. kinda like checking temps on header primary tubes i guess....cheers! :)

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i have a infared thermometer. that is good info. thanks. kinda like checking temps on header primary tubes i guess....cheers! :)

Cool! You're set then. Yeah it's similar. You're just trying to get the entire tread face to sit flat on the road. When I dumped my gauges and switched to the gun I hooked better and my 60' times were more consistent at the track.

wink

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Great tires, had a set on my Jeep.

Just a word of caution (probably obvious). Make sure to air up the rears to max cold psi if hauling or towing heavy.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I have Toyo AT 2's and am running 45 all around. I think I am going to do the thermometer thing though, just to check. I had the TPMS limits set at 45 all around a few months back...

OP
OP
N

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have Toyo AT 2's and am running 45 all around. I think I am going to do the thermometer thing though, just to check. I had the TPMS limits set at 45 all around a few months back...

went to 3 dealers here to try to get the tpms values reset past couple weeks.

they looked at me like i had 3 heads. of course, i offered to pay for it - happily.

one dealer told me it was against the law to do it.

perhaps its the weed here in colorado?

cheers!

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque

they looked at me like i had 3 heads. of course, i offered to pay for it - happily.

cheers!

I did not go to a dealer, had a person from the forum has a shop near me and has the tool. There is a thread on here with a map of where people that have the tool, also someone is willing to send the tool to you to do it yourself. I think it is in the TPMS sticky...

Merives

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4. 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
PM 4x4x4door..

cheers!

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I rarely haul anything much in the box of the truck, and never pull anything. I have Open Country M/T,s on my 2018 and have em set at 35psi front, and 32psi rear. I found lower pressures on the M/T to work really well in every aspect, (ride, wear, heat) for the exception of fuel economy. Cant have it all!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i refuse to run factory psi in these tires, due to wearing them out too soon.

??

Not sure I understand this. A tire inflated to the manufacturers recommendation should get the most life. I totally understand under inflating for a better ride but have never heard of getting longer life. If anything I'd think you'd be reducing life due to a greater amount of heat and sagging/deformation of the tire

R.D.J.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I think he means the “80 psi” as factory pressures.

No matter what tire you’ve got, unless it’s a 19.5, or 22.5 etc, that’s too much pressure for an unladen truck. Loaded to max weight, sure, but empty? Not a chance. That’s a tire wear wrecker, and a spine ruiner for ride quality.

CostaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I run my 305/55/R20 Open Country AT at 38 psi, seemst that that works fine.
There is the more simple trick to paint with chalc pencil a white stripe across the tread pattern, drive a half mile / a mile to see if it wear away uneven.
Chris