AEV 2500/3500 Rear Differential Cover Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Thought I would give a brief review/overview of the installation for the AEV RAM Rear Differential Cover I recently received. This is not a step by step installation guide either nor a commentary on relative worth of such an installation. The only first world problem this solves for me is the addition of a drain capability.

That being said, out the box this is one heavy piece. Threw it on my postal scale and the cover comes in close to 23 pounds compared to maybe 2 pounds at most for the OEM stamped steel unit. Included in the box is installation hardware with Allen cap screws (6mm Allen socket needed), drain plug, large top fill port plug w/o-ring, alcohol prep pad and press on AEV badge. A sheet was also included referring to AEV's website for the latest installation instructions.

Installation is relatively easy with the OEM cover removal, drain and retention of the gasket and fill/check plug for install with the new cover. Removal is also helped by removing the sway bar bushing mounts and letting it swing down and hang on the end links. Just be careful with the sway bar as it is heavy also and when released, can swing down violently if not held up and hit you in the head like almost did me. If installed, the upper track bar can stay installed and does not need to be removed.

Before ever installing the AEV cover, check all the threaded parts like the fill plugs and drain plugs to make sure they start and thread on fine. Unlike the factory cover that has beveled self lining threads, the AEV cover is full threaded from front to back on the plug holes and I ever so slightly buggered up the smaller fill/check plug about one thread in. I was able to recover with a thread dressing file tool (M20x1.5 thread size) and all went well.

To aid installing the AEV cover and due to the 23 pound weight of it, I went bought two longer bolts (thread size escapes me at the moment) and cut the heads off and used them as alignment/support dowels when installing the gasket and cover. This allowed me to start the installation of the Allen cap socket bolts with no problems. Once the cover was bolted up and torqued in place (25 ft-lbs), the rest of installation was a breeze and reversal of removal. Fluid fill was apporx. 3.5 quarts.

Overall pretty happy with the AEV cover.

20160820_124132.jpg

20160822_172625.jpg

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you install this for looks or do you plan on backing over boulders now?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hootbro

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Did you install this for looks or do you plan on backing over boulders now?

.......... The only first world problem this solves for me is the addition of a drain capability. .........

:).

OP
OP
Hootbro

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I figured that was the reason. I prefer to take the cover off and clean the magnet anyway.

I would be lying to say no vanity was involved in the purchase. As to the magnet, the small fill plug in the middle is the magnet. I do not recall seeing a separate magnet puck in the OEM cover I removed.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would be lying to say no vanity was involved in the purchase. As to the magnet, the small fill plug in the middle is the magnet. I do not recall seeing a separate magnet puck in the OEM cover I removed.
There is the tiny one in the fill plug and there is one in the bottom of the housing.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
With the stock cover being lighter, have they incorporated any features for heat dissipation? 23 lbs seems like it's pretty thick and will retain heat.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
With the stock cover being lighter, have they incorporated any features for heat dissipation? 23 lbs seems like it's pretty thick and will retain heat.
The weight doesn't matter, surface area and the metals ability to transfer heat matter, it has little fin type braces that will help get rid of heat if I remember right the cover is nodular iron which should transfer heat just as well as the stock cover. If you are concerned about it throw a cover from a 11.8 dually axle on it.

OP
OP
Hootbro

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
There is the tiny one in the fill plug and there is one in the bottom of the housing.

If there is a magnet at the bottom inside of the housing, it was lost on me then. I finger waved and wiped out the whole bottom of that axle housing to get the last bit of sludge and fluid out and did not recall any magnet being there.