Air suspension question ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi8lonestar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I am looking at getting a 2500 early next year. Does the air suspension make the ride smoother over just having coils? Are there coils and bags, or just bags?

thanks

EvanYJ350

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 CC Air Susp
Engine
6.4L 392 c.i.
I would say the empty ride is smoother than coils. The 2500s have just air bags in the back instead of coils. They sit lower in the rear than coils sprung rigs too.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Personally, after owning a 2000 Ford expedition Eddie Bauer that had the ford load leveling suspension (air ride), I'll never own another air ride truck again. With a travel trailer connected, i had to keep the truck running or the system (nornal to aid getting in and out of it) would air down and make uncoupeling a real pita.

I don't care for air ride personally, but don't know how the dodge system works

PolarBear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have air ride in my 2500, it works really well and is maintenance free. It auto levels the back end for you, if you press alt ht button it lowers the back end of the truck about 2 inches. Its great for doing bumper pull or 5th wheel hook ups, you put weight on the hitch and it raises it up to level it automatically.

As far as ride its pretty smooth, better than leaf springs and the coils in my opinion. I tow every single day here in Minnesota and it has not failed me once. Super reliable.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I agree with the above comments. Only downside I found was, if there is a loss of air, whether a broken line, leak or system failure, the ride is very poor. Without the air, your axle will have no cushion of air to smooth out the bumps.
Barring any malfunctions, I think it's a great idea.
Don't own a 2500, but I do have a 1500 with the air suspension, and have had 2 Grand Cherokees and currently have a '16 Grand Cherokee with the air suspension. Not exactly like the 2500, but we've had no issues with the air suspension.