Another Upgrade to the CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Last month I did the DPF delete, unlock, EFILive tunes with 4-way switch, EGR cooler delete, throttle valve delete and straight piped from the turbo back to the stock muffler.

Damn truck runs like race car and sounds like a big rig. Great combination!

After reading up on CTD tuning and transmissions, plus a little bit of time at WOT on tune #3 :naughty:, it was clear another set of mods was needed which are being installed today:

1. BD Diesel valve body plate kit.
2. Mag-Hytec 68RFE deep trans pan with an additional 3+ quarts of fluid capacity.
3. ATS 68RFE transmission case brace.

The reason for the mods was to reduce transmission fluid bleed through past the stock valve body which causes a 14 psi pressure drop and some shuddering, additional fluid to facilitate more efficient fluid cooling which works well with the higher line pressure and to mitigate transmission case cracking, one of the most common 68RFE transmission failures caused by excessive movement of the transmission.

Dropped the truck off at the shop last night and expect to get it back today.

I will escalate performance testing with tune #4 (The Holy Crap! tune) in play.

More later...

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I was thinking about BD plate kit as well, but I think I will just drive the stock 68 until it fails and get a built trans with a triple disc TC when it does. Then it will be level four 500+ hp tune all day everyday.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was thinking about BD plate kit as well, but I think I will just drive the stock 68 until it fails and get a built trans with a triple disc TC when it does. Then it will be level four 500+ hp tune all day everyday.

Level four tune all day everyday? That's CRAZY! I like it.... :roflsquared:

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the update. I'm close to just pulling the trigger on a new CTD anyday now. I'm leaning the 68 tranny too.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It has it's good points, Mike but it needs a little help to be more resilient to torque shock and case failures. I believe this latest upgrade gives me that.

Good luck on your new purchase!

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
After some testing this afternoon it appears that the combination described above took care of the bleed down past the valve body, the transmission is definitely running cooler than was, the transmission doesn't shake and there is no shudder.

It worked!

Hot Damn, tune #4 here I come.... ;)

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I still miss my 6.4L truck but not as much as I did the day it was hauled away....

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still miss my 6.4L truck but not as much as I did the day it was hauled away....

Going back to back 6.4/6.7, what is the mpg increase for your normal driving tanks? How much did you spend on the BD and ATS products? Thanks.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
6.4L normal/mixed mpg never topped out much more than 14.5 - 15.5 MPG

6.4L highway mileage was 18.5 - 19 without a load, cruising at 65 - 70 mph

In comparison, the 6.7L normal/mixed is better. After the delete and tunes were done it runs about 19.5 - 21 depending on how heavy my right foot is that day and what tune I am on. I haven't had much of a chance to accurately measure it yet as the mods are pretty new. Highway mileage is yet to be measured.

The BD Diesel valve body plate was $145
The Mag-Hytec deep pan was $245
The ATS transmission brace was $165

SETEX 6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wow. My 6.4 only gets around 9.5 - 11 normal/mixed and around 11.5 - 13 Highway with no load.
I do have 4:10's with 35's Mega Cab and fully loaded Ram Boxes so she is a heavy girl and I do have quite the Hemi foot.
I've been debating trading in for the Cummins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'll bet your 3500 6.4L is heavier than my 2500 6.4L was.