Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Heavy Duty

Heavy Duty

Bfg ko2 285/65/r20

This is a discussion on Bfg ko2 285/65/r20 within the Heavy Duty forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Originally Posted by 07MegaCabRam Man I loved Nitto Trailgrappers.. but wow, didn't get 20K out of them! BFGs are separating ...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2014
Engine: Hemi 6.4L
Originally Posted by 07MegaCabRam View Post
Man I loved Nitto Trailgrappers.. but wow, didn't get 20K out of them!

BFGs are separating for a bunch of my father in laws pipe line company in Texas. 120 or so trucks and have a good dozen separate with like 15K miles on them. They just went through all 120 trucks and got new tires because of it. hate to see that bill...
Yeah if I am honest, the only thing I don't like is the wear on the Nittos, they are grippy but use a soft ass compound......wears like dog poop.....

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Engine: 408 CTD
My current Nitto Trail Grapplers have 38k on them and will be needing a new set at 40k. Although that is not good for an all terrain, is not bad for a mud tire which is what the Trail Grappler is. Mud tires generally have a softer compound compared to all terrains which lead the quicker wear. Not only that, but moat mud tires have less tread contact with the pavement so this also causes them to wear quicker than an all terrain with more tread contact.

When I am due for new tires in a few thousand miles, I will probably go with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers all terrains instead of the Trail Grappler mud terrains again. The Ridge Grapplers have a harder compound and more tread contact so they should last longer than the Trail Grapplers. They seem aggressive to enough to handle the off roading that I need it to. Nitto's other all terrain, the Terra Grappler G2, is their competative tire to the AT KO2 and just doesn't seem it would do well in the mud that I go through at the farm and dear lease.
SouthTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Name: $miley

Ram Year: 2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew 4WD
Engine: Hemi 5.7L
Originally Posted by SouthTexan View Post
My current Nitto Trail Grapplers have 38k on them and will be needing a new set at 40k. Although that is not good for an all terrain, is not bad for a mud tire which is what the Trail Grappler is. Mud tires generally have a softer compound compared to all terrains which lead the quicker wear. Not only that, but moat mud tires have less tread contact with the pavement so this also causes them to wear quicker than an all terrain with more tread contact.

When I am due for new tires in a few thousand miles, I will probably go with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers all terrains instead of the Trail Grappler mud terrains again. The Ridge Grapplers have a harder compound and more tread contact so they should last longer than the Trail Grapplers. They seem aggressive to enough to handle the off roading that I need it to. Nitto's other all terrain, the Terra Grappler G2, is their competative tire to the AT KO2 and just doesn't seem it would do well in the mud that I go through at the farm and dear lease.

Man fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice... go broke buying tires. 40k is just not acceptable for the cost of tires. I like the looks of Nitto but that is straight pathetic mileage. Figure out your cost per mile. Might piss you off enough to buy another brand.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Engine: 408 CTD
Originally Posted by smiley3303 View Post
Man fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice... go broke buying tires. 40k is just not acceptable for the cost of tires. I like the looks of Nitto but that is straight pathetic mileage. Figure out your cost per mile. Might piss you off enough to buy another brand.
40k is pretty good for a mud terrain. Most mud terrains I and other friends have had only get about 25k-30k no matter the brand so it is not the brand, but rather the style of tire which is why you have to compare apples to apples when it comes to different brands. You should get better mileage out of all terrains, but you have to sacrifice off road capabilities. I have gotten over 60k out of less aggressive Nitto Terra Grappler G1, which is Nitto's verson of the AT KO, but they were crap in the mud just like the AT KO's are versus a mud tire like the Nitto Trail Grappler.

It is a give and take. The more aggressive and softer compound for off road grip, the qiucker tire wear. If you want more mileage out of a tire, then the compromise is generally less off road capabilities especially in mud.
bcbouy likes this.
SouthTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:22 PM   #15 (permalink)

Super Moderator

I get that but 40k is just too soon maybe if you are running some treadweight rubber but if you have to spend $1000-$2000 only to watch then melt in 40k I would reconsider options personally but I guess different needs are key to it all. I merely responded to this thread because of the title. If it was mud tires convo I would steer clear as I don't use them personally.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pcschwenke View Post
Will these tires fit without rubbing on 2016 SRW 4x4 3500? I had the same tire, but different size on my 1500 and lived them. The Transforce 295/60/R20 are aweful in the snow... BFG doesn't make the tire in the stock size, but these are an inch taller than stock.

I ran this size on my 1500 and they fit well and I think you would have a little more clearance than I do.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012 ram 2500
Engine: hemi
Originally Posted by River19 View Post
Also agree.....KO2s are great on 1/2 ton and smaller rigs.......google KO2s and 2500s or something along those lines and there are plenty of issues with them on the larger trucks. Some tire places require a waiver to put them on 2500+ since they get non-stop back and forth with rebalancing etc.

Oh and I wouldn't recommend Nitto either as I haven't been impressed with how they wear on any of my 3/4 ton rigs......seems previous owners always love putting Nittos on and I love when I can take them off......
same goes for duratracs.they may be tolerable for a jeep but they suck hard on an h/d truck.check the load rating.as for nittos,the trail grappler is a really good off road tire.it's what its made for,not good looks as you do your grocery runs.mine are wearing qiuck like everyone else,but it hasn't let me down yet off road,and i've yet to chunk one or puncture either.you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited by bcbouy; 12-30-2016 at 01:05 AM.
bcbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 6.7
Just put nitto ridge grapplers on 2500 diesel I had transforce on it rode like crap
These ridge grapplers ride like a freaking car they r so smooth and exceptionally quiet time will tell on wear but they seem be a harder tire

My bfg ko2 wore out in about 20000 on the diesel too costly never again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coolemoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Engine: Hemi 6.4L
Yeah, previous owner threw the Trail Grapplers on at 5000 miles and now they have 23K and I'm just getting ready to move on. I have a set of Terra Grapplers wasting away in my driveway from my diesel rig as I had to yank them they were so horrible in the snow and wet stuff we have in New England......turned that rig into an 8800lb sled.....still mounted on rims stacked next to the shed wasting away.

In the handful of times this rig has been off road the Trails did well as you would expect, but I have other rigs for that so this is a towing queen for now.

The Duratracs went on the F250 when I had it and they were a solid E load tire and firmed up my towing feel compared to the wallowy Terras......

I may have to look hard at the Toyos......but I am hoping for one more towing season from the Trails.....which really means maybe another 5,000 miles from them and replace them in the Fall next year. I have 3 other vehicles on the road and I'm always buying tires for something. Just threw new studded snows on the GX470 and my General AT2s are wearing like iron on my modded Tundra.

Last edited by River19; 12-30-2016 at 05:34 AM.
River19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #20 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012 ram 2500
Engine: hemi
Originally Posted by coolemoff1 View Post
Just put nitto ridge grapplers on 2500 diesel I had transforce on it rode like crap
These ridge grapplers ride like a freaking car they r so smooth and exceptionally quiet time will tell on wear but they seem be a harder tire

My bfg ko2 wore out in about 20000 on the diesel too costly never again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
any chance you can do an update on how your ridge grapplers are fairing later on down the road? i'm looking at them for maybe the late spring or early summer.i'd like to hear what you think of them.
bcbouy is offline   Reply With Quote