Binding Rear-End?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2014 6.4 Hemi 2500 4X4 with about 25K miles, totally stock.

I've noticed this in other HD trucks and pretty much from day one with this truck but it sure does seem to be getting worse. Most of the time it's when I'm towing my 8500# TT. Or, at least it's worst under that condition.

Basically, it feels like when you have the 4X4 locked in and are trying to make a sharp turn. It feels like the rear wheels are binding..... and binding bad. I believe in the past I've been told this is just the rear differential doing its thing but it is REALLY getting noticeable. The worst circumstance is when I'm starting out and pulling away from a curb for example. The whole truck shakes and grinds for a few seconds until I get going straight. I really don't notice anything while making turns once I'm driving. Maybe a bit while making really sharp turns while going very slowly, like in a parking lot.

So, is this just "normal?" In the grand scheme of things I don't worry too much since everything is under warranty. It's just kind of annoying and I want to be sure there's not something bigger lurking that will leave me stranded someday.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have a new truck, take it to the dealer and let them worry about it. Sounds like some chatter or spider gears.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are u in 4x4 on dry payvment? I know 4x4 with a good amount of turn angle it is going to walk on its self. but as stated above definetly take it to the dealer.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That doesn't seem normal... new truck, HD truck or not. I'm with them, take it in. Sounds like both rear wheels are locking.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine certainly does not do what you mentioned

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the truck have a limited slip differential ? In the 2500 that's the helical gear style, and if they are damaged they pop under load. Seen a few Wrangler Rubicons doing this :)

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks everyone... yes, it's a 2500 and I don't know if it has a limited-slip. It's a 4X4 Outdoorsman - kind of a middle of the road as far as trim levels.

It's frustrating because it only does it when my TT is attached which will be difficult to get to the dealer and demonstrate but at some point I guess I'll have to. I'll post back if/when I learn anything.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Youre very likely to have the LSD since you have the Outdoorsman and it sounds like there is something funky going on with it. And yea I think youve got to figure out a way to demonstate it at the dealer and let them take care of it.

Rocky15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy cow mines doing the exact same thing. 14 tradesman 4x4 with the lsd. But my rear end been "rebuilt" by dealer twice! 19,500 miles, not happy...

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so you're in 2 wheel drive and the rear sounds/ feels like it is binding but o lay when under a load?

OP
OP
M

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
so you're in 2 wheel drive and the rear sounds/ feels like it is binding but o lay when under a load?

Yep.... definitely in 2WD and it's on dry pavement. The worst is when I'm pulling away from the curb in front of my house which means I'm heading up a decent hill. With the hill, the load on the truck from the TT is even greater. As I turn away from the curb into the street it feels just like trying to turn into a parking spot in the snow with the 4X4 engaged (but again this is while in 2X). It's kind of that hopping/binding feeling for a few seconds until I'm moving and the wheels are straightened out.

Rocky15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My issue is exactly the same as yours the last time I towed my TT. But only started after the dealer replaced the ring and pinion for the second time. Had bad gear whine and leaking pinion seal prior to this. Growing tired of these issues...