Blue Smoke at start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I really hate to post threads on here about these things. Yesterday about half to work, im stopped at a light. When light turns green, i accelerate alittle harder than normal. An older BMW 5 Series accelerated just as fast. When I looked in my mirror, there was blue smoke behind us. I thought it must of been the BMW but now i believe it was from me. This morning, when i started the truck in the morning, using the key fob, blue smoke came out of the pipe.

It was definitely blue smoke and had a burnt smell to it. Anyone else having a $45,000 brand new truck with 2100miles smoke?

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
it's happened to several, myself included. Do a internet search on the Ram 6.4 startup smoke and you should get several valid hits. So far, nothing solid has come up for root cause.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
blue smoke is oil fyi... and yeah, many have reported it...

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
funny you mention it. i have the 5.7 hemi but just this past sunday i noticed blue smoke out of mine at startup with 45,000 miles. not the 6.4 but still...

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, add me to that list. Noticed it twice now on my new 2015 2500 with the 6.4

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How many miles on the 6.4L? Did you drive it when new to seat the rings properly?

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
YIKES! I have about 10,000km (6000mi) on my 14 6.4 so far. Haven't noticed any smoke, but I'm definitely going to be looking closer now!

OP
OP
zeddy

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I currently have 2300 miles. The first 500 miles I drove it gently, after that a little mix, I drove nice and easy and other times like hard. For example I had to wot when getting on the freeway.

So far, my trucks smokes twice, that I know of. All times have been when I started her key fob. Don't know if it's done when I start it from inside.

Funny thing is when it has smoked, prior couple days, I had been driving like grandma.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I have not noticed anything other than using about a 1/2 qt oil in the first 2500 miles. Unless it is like fogging for mosquitoes bad, I would not get to worried unless it goes past 10K miles and is still a problem.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
My Mega has done it 3 times that I've seen in 12000 miles. My 2010 1500 does it every now and then also. I'm thinking it has something to do with the mds and possibly fuel washing the cylinders at shut down. Then the fuel oil mix is burning at the next start.
So far it do ant look like anything to worry about. Not a noticeable amount of oil being used in either truck... So I don't sweat it. Yet...

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles on the 6.4L? Did you drive it when new to seat the rings properly?

My truck has a little over 200 miles on it. So far, I've been driving it just nice and easy. Like everyone else is saying, I only have seen mine do this twice and both time were when I used the remote start. It may do it when I start it while I'm inside, but I'm not sure.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Wanna break it in? Get a big heavy trailer and head to the mountains for a couple days. Make it a holiday.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hemi engines have a lot of blow-by (or catch cans wouldn't be needed). With MDS there is no fuel going to four cylinders and no combustion, but you're still making all four cycles. A little crank case pressure from the cylinders that are firing may be driving a small amount of oil into the cylinder in a reverse of the normal blow by path since we know (for those who stayed awake in physics/thermo) higher pressure seeks to equalize with an area of relative lower pressure.

It could also be that for new engines without catch cans, its PCV waste being burned off at start-up because your rings haven't seated and your blow-by is higher than it will be when broken in. So your sucking oily waste from your PCV through the throttle body and burning it off in your cylinders.

For new engines, being babied, you know MDS is coming on, so either of the theories (above ) may be operative.

I don't know for certain, but if you are not seeing oil smoke when decelerating at high revs and your compression is good, its probably just a artifact of MDS, or MDS in conjunction with remote start.

Last edited:

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi engines have a lot of blow-by (or catch cans wouldn't be needed). With MDS there is no fuel going to four cylinders and no combustion, but you're still making all four cycles. A little crank case pressure from the cylinders that are firing may be driving a small amount of oil into the cylinder in a reverse of the normal blow by path since we know (for those who stayed awake in physics/thermo) higher pressure seeks to equalize with an area of relative lower pressure.

It could also be that for new engines without catch cans, its PCV waste being burned off at start-up because your rings haven't seated and your blow-by is higher than it will be when broken in. So your sucking oily waste from your PCV through the throttle body and burning it off in your cylinders.

For new engines, being babied, you know MDS is coming on, so either of the theories (above ) may be operative.

I don't know for certain, but if you are not seeing oil smoke when decelerating at high revs and your compression is good, its probably just a artifact of MDS, or MDS in conjunction with remote start.

Ya, I don't see any smoke or any other issues of concern besides just the start-up smoke. And that is minimal at best.

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
Smoke at start up is usually just oil leaking past the valve guides and guide seals not the piston rings. I would not be too worried about it, but I can definately see how it would be unsettling.