Blue Smoke Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
It smoked at startup 6-7 times during the first 1500 miles. I changed the oil, kept with the SRT 0w40 pennzoil at 2500 miles. Just checked my oil tonight and it was a quart low, i am at 5000 miles now. I added 3/4 of a quart, started in up, completely level in my garage, and a ton of blue smoke out the tailpipe. I am confused because it stopped smoking on startup around 1500 miles.

Checked for recalls, ~EGR, nothing for my vin.

The truck gets driven once a week to work, 5 miles away. It does reach operating temp on the coolant and oil. Most of the miles have been highway miles for vacation in the mountains.

Anyone else still having this issue. Is it possible the simple act of pouring the oil into the fill hole with a funnel somehow caused this?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I think this has been brought up before and it is common.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Mine did that a few times early on. I'm at 2400 miles now and it has not done it for a long time now.

whsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
it only happened one time-has not used any oil in 7000 miles

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is common. Happened to both my Rams. It will go away. Has something to do with the engine breaking in. It is a uneasy feeling when you see it happen but it will go away.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 6.4 still does it occasionally at 19,000 miles. My 5.7 did the same for the 40,000 I owned it. I drive 70 miles a day round trip for work. I'm sure it gets up to temp for this drive. Sort of embarrassing when people are around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've never saw mine smoke when new but don't remember really looking for it. I do remember having to add about a 1/2 quart of oil when it was a couple thousand miles in. Since then it literally has not burned a drop and I'm at 59K. It totally blows my mind when I check the oil - even when it's been 7K or so since a change I'm right at the full mark on the dipstick.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I'm going to take it in to the dealer anyway, see what they say. I'm due for 4 new rims since the wheel weights discolored the cheap plastic covers, I have the squeaky rear suspension going over bumps, the transmission shudders from time to time, and this oil burning issue-- which I am hoping will be a new EGR.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
As everyone else said, usually it goes away after a while. Mine did it several times within the first 8k or so and then stopped.

Terry3blue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The blue smoke stopped on mine after the dealer replaced the pcv under warranty it has 11000 miles on and it uses a little oil but less than the first 8000 miles.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
, the transmission shudders from time to time,

Good luck with this one...... I think I can predict a, "they all do that" from the service adviser followed by some over-technical BS explanation about fluid passing through ports, tunnels and flux capacitors inside the tranny.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good luck with this one...... I think I can predict a, "they all do that" from the service adviser followed by some over-technical BS explanation about fluid passing through ports, tunnels and flux capacitors inside the tranny.

Look here.. this is very old, but EXACTLY what mine does..

TSB 03-003-04

I notice mine does it less when making a sharp turn, and almost completely disappears with a bunch of weight in the bed, which would change the drive line angle.. makes sense to me. My first visit over that was met with a "can not duplicate" I am scheduling a ride along with a tech once my camper gets picked up. Mine is most noticeable at medium throttle input from a dead stop, and only last for about 2 seconds as it accelerates through it. Im pretty convinced, at least in my circumstance it is not the transmission, or it would greatly magnify as more and more torque was placed on it as the rpms climbed. It doesnt, it simply does it and moves on.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going to take it in to the dealer anyway, see what they say. I'm due for 4 new rims since the wheel weights discolored the cheap plastic covers, I have the squeaky rear suspension going over bumps, the transmission shudders from time to time, and this oil burning issue-- which I am hoping will be a new EGR.

the owners manual says the engine may use some oil innitially so the dealer will likely not do anything for you . and if it only smokes 4 or 5 times in the first 5k miles , there isnt a problem anyways. ive got 2500mi and got blue smoke about 3 times. not worried as it should clear up at some point

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
i still really like the truck, just wish there was less quirks that needed to get worked out.

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your rear end squeak is 99% the emergency brake cable. Driver side behind the rear tire the emergency brake goes threw a metal loom. That is where your squeak is. You have to bend it a small amount to release the pressure on the cable. SQUEAK GONE!

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When I had my Durango R/T (2014) there was a blue smoke TSB. It has to do with the Hemi and being parked/started while on an incline. I'm not sure it transferred over to the Ram pickups...but thats what the TSB specifically stated..and it was fixed by installing a new oil pan.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I had my Durango R/T (2014) there was a blue smoke TSB. It has to do with the Hemi and being parked/started while on an incline. I'm not sure it transferred over to the Ram pickups...but thats what the TSB specifically stated..and it was fixed by installing a new oil pan.
I backed truck out of garage today and it sat at a slight incline for about 8 hours. When I started it to pull back in the garage I think I killed every mosquito within 5 miles there was so much blue smoke. Guess I'll be getting that checked out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sorry to hear this. No blue smoke here. 29k miles on my 2016 6.4L, 10k of those towing 7500 lbs.

No engine, electrical or driveline issues. Did have one leaking rear shock replaced under warranty.

Almost sounds like the trucks aren't broken-in (rings). I followed the owners manual break-in procedure. "Brief full throttle acceleration within the limits of local laws" to set the rings. I did that a bunch of times soon as I hit 300 miles on the ODO. No oil usage either.

OP
OP
E

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I hear you, my truck does get parked on a hill with the nose down, yet of the 8 times it smoked- 5 were parked flat and with a warm or semi warm engine. Whenever I drive it I floor it from 20-55 mph at least once, and it does a lot of stop and go. On the freeway it's all mountains and tractor trailers, so throttle get varied a lot. I just thought it was over the smoking thing, until it did it for the first time in 3500 miles after I added oil.... I'm scratching my head, guess I shouldn't try to hard to figure it out. I'm going to cross my fingers with the dealer and hope they throw some parts at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963