Brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you all using for replacement pads? I've had good luck with Power Stop pads, but on other vehicles.

I'm right over 22,000 miles but most of that has been pulling something. I'm starting to get some squealing and the amount of dust in the wheels is picking up. Think I might be due shortly.

Sent from a field

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I've never done better than OEM. Not the value line, mind you, but the original equipment pads. My last truck had over 120k on the originals. I replaced with OEM and never even had to turn the rotors.

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On previous vehicles I have noticed a difference in the power stop pads in both performance and dust. They performed better than oe. I guess I can just give it a go.

Sent from a field

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ever tried Bendix? It's what my company uses on their work trucks. That'll be what I'm going with when the time comes. Very high quality and reliable I hear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
O

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used bendix shoes, don't recall using their pads. But my memory isn't what it used to be either.

Sent from a field

kry226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I would add that brake wear, like tire wear, is a subjective thing. The way people drive influences a lot. Some people use their brakes to slow down. Some people coast and use their brakes to stop. Big difference.

I would also caution anyone to use things like "brake dust" to quantify "better" or "best" brake pads. Like transmissions, there are hard parts (rotors) and soft parts (pads). Saving soft parts may induce more stress on the hard parts, and vice versa. So obviously, you want to strike a balance between dust and destroying rotors every 30k.

For what it's worth. YMMV.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've tried 'em all, ceramic pads are by far the best, lowest in dust output and almost has the stopping power of carbon fiber! Get them at Auto Zone, save the box and you'll never have to buy another pair, they have a lifetime warranty!

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've tried 'em all, ceramic pads are by far the best, lowest in dust output and almost has the stopping power of carbon fiber! Get them at Auto Zone, save the box and you'll never have to buy another pair, they have a lifetime warranty!

ceramics are not ideal for towing, and autozone pads are terrible. theres a reason why they have no problem constantly giving out new pads for free.

i'd suggest using a semi-metallic pad, like what came on your truck if your after the best braking performance. dust is a trade off for superior braking performance. some pads are worse then others. take that for what its worth. if it helps, i recently put a set of wagner thermoquiets on my dually a few months ago. so far they seem to stop pretty well and the dust isnt that bad at all. i would consider buying them again.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ceramics are not ideal for towing, and autozone pads are terrible. theres a reason why they have no problem constantly giving out new pads for free.

i'd suggest using a semi-metallic pad, like what came on your truck if your after the best braking performance. dust is a trade off for superior braking performance. some pads are worse then others. take that for what its worth. if it helps, i recently put a set of wagner thermoquiets on my dually a few months ago. so far they seem to stop pretty well and the dust isnt that bad at all. i would consider buying them again.

You may be right about the towing, I don't tow, but your wrong about their pads, been running them for years (off one set) and never had an issue and they last, ceramic emits very low dust, too.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You may be right about the towing, I don't tow, but your wrong about their pads, been running them for years (off one set) and never had an issue and they last, ceramic emits very low dust, too.

well then, maybe your lucky. i worked at autozone for a few years when i was in school. tried some of their pads on past vehicles, and sold/returned/exchanged more pads then i can count. their c-max's, which at the time were the top of line pad, had a spongy feel to them. the truck never felt confident when making hard stops. they also gave off the same if not more dust then the pads i removed. i didnt keep these for all that long for those reasons. their gold line was OK as far as braking was concerned, they just didnt last very long. i personally would rather spend a few bucks more for a better pad then keep replacing the autozone one's.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
well then, maybe your lucky. i worked at autozone for a few years when i was in school. tried some of their pads on past vehicles, and sold/returned/exchanged more pads then i can count. their c-max's, which at the time were the top of line pad, had a spongy feel to them. the truck never felt confident when making hard stops. they also gave off the same if not more dust then the pads i removed. i didnt keep these for all that long for those reasons. their gold line was OK as far as braking was concerned, they just didnt last very long. i personally would rather spend a few bucks more for a better pad then keep replacing the autozone one's.

Well, since you worked at Auto Zone in high school, you MUST be an expert then!:roflsquared:

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I put dura last gold rotors and pads on my front end a few months ago and I haven't had a problem. I'm about to go get new pads and rotors for the back next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk