Buying 3500 Dually - Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I'm looking for an RV machine and have been playing around on the RAM site with options. So far that following options are what I've prioritized.

* Cummins Diesel
* Aisin Trans
* Dually
* Air Suspension - auto level
* OEM Trailer brake control & 5th wheel pkg

I'm unsure what final drive ratio to pick. I doubt I'll pull anything >19,000 lbs so any of the gear ratios are within the range of capability.

Any other options people would suggest?

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you're going all out get the 4.10 gears. Can't have too much truck. I'd regret not getting it if I was in your shoes. You already have the max towing stuff selected except gears.

I'm not sure but I would think 4.10 would also give you better around town "mileage" :crazy:

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Agreed. If you are getting the drive train you are getting you might as well get the 4.10s. Not to mention if you sell the truck it may be more appealing to others looking to tow heavy.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Is it possible to get the air leveling suspension in a Tradesman?

Either way, one thing to consider would be getting the standard spring suspension, and adding the AirLift 5000 kit. Should put your payload leveling capacity higher than the factory air ride.

Good for you. Hope you like the truck when you get it.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Also, make sure you get the backup camera and Bluetooth phone radio. They are definitely nice options.

james.kaschmitter.90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Just my 2 cents, but speaking from experience but if you can get the self leveling air ride rear axle that's the only way to go, and go with the 3.73 ratio rear end, still gives you more than enough pull with that Cummins, but with better fuel mileage than you can get with 4.10s

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Is it possible to get the air leveling suspension in a Tradesman?

Either way, one thing to consider would be getting the standard spring suspension, and adding the AirLift 5000 kit. Should put your payload leveling capacity higher than the factory air ride.

Good for you. Hope you like the truck when you get it.

https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=3C63RRGL8HG656517

I can walk to this dealership from my house. Tradesman with the exact set-up I'm talking about. It has the 3.73 gears, not the 4.10.

The 3.73 is good for 25,000 lbs max towing rating. That is a healthy amount more than I need and the thing does have 900 ft/lb of torque. I drove a tractor trailer pulling 80,000 lbs and it has less engine than this thing (although more gears).

Internet price on it is $55,000 which is more attractive to me than the used prices I've seen.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That looks like it is a pretty good package. All that for $55k isn’t bad either.

You’ll have to post pictures if/when you buy it.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Internet price on it is $55,000 which is more attractive to me than the used prices I've seen.
I'm obviously not in the market, but that sounds like a very good price for a new Tradesman! Chrome package is a nice upgrade, the 5.0 radio is a great upgrade that I wish I had from the factory, backup camera, bedliner, 5th wheel package, Aisin trans and factory rear air are all the options I would want too. Stupid question (again, I'm not in the market and unaware of the verbiage for this option...), does this backup camera package include the camera in the 3rd brake light for 5th or gooseneck connection? That is the only thing that isn't obviously there that I would suggest you include.

Good luck, this sounds like a GREAT truck. In 10 or 15 years when I retire and we try fulltiming, that sounds an awful lot like what I would want!!!

SoCalDirtNSnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Out of your list I didnt get the OEM air bags. I was going to have the dealer install an AirLift set but they were backordered at the time. I'm still looking to get them but glad I didnt as now I want a full on-board system for tools, horns etc. It would have been nice to control them with the oem controls though. I do have an air-hitch. Which if it wasnt so stinkin expensive I would recommend. But I love how it softens the ride of 14k/3k-PinWeight compared to a standard FW hitch. I probably wouldn't go back. And I have the damping Kingpin setup on mine so it tows pretty smoothly.

I would say if you can stretch a little the added features of some of the option packages are nice though not necessary. I was in the market for an SLT up to a Laramie. But I ended up getting a Longhorn for close (enough) to what you plan on paying.

I use the park sensors, backup & bed camera a lot.
I have the 3.73 which I wanted but would have taken the 4.10 if they had one with the same spec. It gets driven empty more than it tows but the MPG diff & off-the-line performance is not signifacngt enough for me to go either way. If you even think you might need it get the 4.10.
I like the auto-high beams.
The auto wipers are nice until you clean your windshield at t he gas station with the engine on. scares me every time.
Aux switches are nice for any add-ons you want to bring into the picture. But you lose the buttons for the seat heater/cooler and have to use the screen to access. Yes the struggle is real.
So basically with all that and the exhaust brake etc this is close to driving itself.

I'm also looking to get an aux tank. Not a piped one though so I can take it out really easy. It's not to prevent me from having to stop or save money liek a lotof people think. I just like the convenience.

The main thing I don't like about the LH is there is no front bench option. It would rarley get used but I like having the option. Also I'm not a fan of leather so I wish they had the cooling option in a cloth seat. Me likey the cooling in the summer on those long drives. The other thing I dont like is all the chrome.
What I wanted that Ram doesnt offer is the lane departure, emergency braking and the camera system that the new Fords have.
And I wish they had the Rambox for the dually. Then I could have a regular width bed with a crapton of storage.