Can you replace a 66rfe with a 68rfe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yea, you aren't the first one that ive seen with a busted trans in stock form. Which makes me leary about them, not that a 6l90 in the GM application is much better. Easier to rebuild though.

I don't tow anything very heavy, I just want something ~400hp and lifted. And I want the physical size and strength of a 2500, I don't want to run 37s on a half ton. And I don't want to run a 6 inch 35 tire half ton, its not enough for me, I get bored just thinking about it. Diesel is the easy way, but lots of drama I don't exactly want to deal with at this point in my life. But I realize its going to be hard to stabilize reliability, cost, and performance lol.

The only exception to the half ton, is the ecodiesel. Which I think would be cool, but after all the problems I had with my first one, I cant imagine buying another. Even if its free fix under warranty, its not worth it. Getting ~22mpg lifted would be awesome, but not if you cant ever drive it because its busted! New F150 diesel is out soon, but I'm sure its littered with problems too. We will see, maybe that's my white unicorn.

Hey... my first towing experience was with a 85 k10, stock 350, 35s, and a th350 lol. So yea, things are A LOT better now!

Last edited:

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Some additional material on the 66RFE:

Known as the 66RFE, it will boast beefier planetary gears as well as shafts and a torque converter more than capable of handling the power that the HEMI® brings to the table.
Other design improvements include a much steeper first gear ratio (3.23) for better off the line pulling as well as a wider spread of overall gear ratios that utilize the engine’s power more efficiently – and helping improve fuel economy. Since many Ram owners tow/haul heavy loads, our engineers also paid special attention to the oil pump capacity by increasing the sump size and adding a unique dual filtration system.

https://chryslercatchall.wordpress.com/2011/12/29/ram-heavy-duty-gets-a-six-speed-auto-for-2012/

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I don't know anything about the transmission swap, but Idon't like some more info on procharger and whipple making us a supercharger kit. I'd love it for towing. I'm working out of my truck every day now and it does great until I put around 10000 pounds behind it and a little extra oomph would be nice. Maybe less downshifting etc.

OP
OP
S

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm curious how good the tune will be and how much power they will make on all the ram platforms. Have you seen their new 5.0 f150 kits? They are ridiculous.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Again, if anybody has details on exactly what failed in the transmission it would be good to document. I saw the mtofell's comment about the throttle body rupturing but that doesn't make any sense as far as trans components that I'm familiar with:)

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Again, if anybody has details on exactly what failed in the transmission it would be good to document. I saw the mtofell's comment about the throttle body rupturing but that doesn't make any sense as far as trans components that I'm familiar with:)

Yeah, the tech just said the throttle body blew apart and wiped out a bunch of the inner-workings of the tranny. It failed under totally non-stressful circumstances and had no prior slipping or weird behavior.

When it blew it was pretty much instant but did still drive for about a mile until I could get off the freeway. The off ramp was uphill and I barely made it. Just about as I came to rest the CEL finally came on. It was almost comical timing. After shutting it down and restarting for the tow truck it wouldn't move forward at all.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Yeah, the tech just said the throttle body blew apart and wiped out a bunch of the inner-workings of the tranny. It failed under totally non-stressful circumstances and had no prior slipping or weird behavior.

I'm going to assume you mean valve body, not throttle body correct?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452