Choosing a lift for 2011 Diesel Outdoorsman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm a new member from WV. I have a 2011 Ram 2500 Outdoorsman Diesel.

I'm interested in getting a 4"-6" lift and plan to run 35" tires. It will be a street queen so off "road performance" isn't as much of a concern as ride quality. Most of the information I have been finding on the 4th Gen is for gas trucks so I need some advice.

I'd like some suggestions on which lift and options to look at and why. Also, assuming standard/short arm are the same thing- are standard and long arm essentially Stage I and Stage II on these lifts? Does it make a considerable difference in ride quality?

I am not entirely new to lifts, but Diesel trucks and the Ram 2500 suspension is new to me. Does installing a suspension lift on this truck involve cutting/welding or is it all bolt on and reversible? I want to make sure I make an informed decision rather than a blind purchase.

Thanks

OP
OP
B

bair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the links reddot. It looks like Carli makes some quality lifts, but I want a little more height.

I'm sure I can clear 35's with 3" but that isn't my goal. I want the 4"-6" lift height for a more aggressive appearance and 35's are as big as I want to go on tires since it is a daily driver and I don't want to sacrifice my towing capabilities. I am particular and don't like to "stuff" the wheel well with as much tire as i can fit but don't like it looking empty either. I think the 5" lift from Zone sounds about right but fear that it would make my truck ride like a covered wagon.

OP
OP
B

bair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks SJP

I'm really looking for opinions rather than links to available lifts. Tell me which lift you would choose and more importantly why you would choose that lift. The why's are what educate and help make informed decisions.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome to rf

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Do you have a budget?
Without getting into the thousands of dollars lifts like kelderman and pure performance, carli and thuren are your best performing lifts
Next I would say BDS and it's brother company zone and rough country
The rough country kit is inexpensive but still good quality and woul put you in the 5" target
Usually a stage1 is spacers stage 2 has lift springs and you don't want a long arm

I'm pretty sure the zone/BDS and RC are both bolt on and te control arms mount in the stock location

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Im still thinking 5/6in lift is huge for 35s. You can fit 35s as it sits now. 3in will give you plenty of space. But yah got to do what makes you happy.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Im still thinking 5/6in lift is huge for 35s. You can fit 35s as it sits now. 3in will give you plenty of space. But yah got to do what makes you happy.

Me too, I got a kick out of kid telling me he had 7" of lift and 35s on his cummins since my girlfriend cleared them stock and they look. Really good with 2" spacers
I've seen 4" and 35s on older qc short bed and tgey looked goo but 4th gens are bigger so idk I know it looks goofy on long beds

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
agreed. the fenders on the genIII and genIV rams is much bugger the the others. The fit perfect with a level so 3in would be more then enough.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Welcome to Ram Forum. Zone makes a 5" lift that is only $900 so that is a option for you.

OP
OP
B

bair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Stage 1 is spacers, stage 2 is springs and I don't want long arms...why wouldn't I want long arm?

The Zone lift really interests me if the ride quality doesn't suffer too bad- any reviews on ride quality with zone lift compared to stock? Wear and tear? Anything in a bind?

I'd like to keep the cost of the lift itself at <$2k if I can without making it ride like a covered wagon. Probably another $2k in tires/wheels and $3k in bumpers. I'm not really trying to be cheap but it's damn expensive to do everything at once.

BDS was mentioned also- they're kit is a long arm that I was recommended to avoid correct?

OP
OP
B

bair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mad Cow, what is your setup to make a custom 8" Zone lift from a 5"? Is the pic in your signature with the 8" looks pretty sweet

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Lon arm are great performing kits but their ride quality isn't not very good
Your best bet is a kit with adjustable control arms instead of long arms

Everyone here with zone kits are very happy with them
Mad cow has a 6" zone lift with bilstien adjustable shocks which they don't make for 2500
Also for bumpers you can check out one of the vendors here Road Rhino bumpers
They're nearly identical to road armor, better quality and better price!
Also ADD is a vendor her that makes another style of bumper

Last edited: