The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I purchased my 2014 Ram 2500 CC with the 6.4L HEMI on 3/28/15.

Within a week of purchase I noticed that there was a lot of valvetrain clattering going on at cold start up and while it quiets down, it does not totally go away, even when warmed up. I've owned two other HEMI powered vehicles, a 2007 MegaCab with the 5.7L and my 2006 300SRT8 with the 6.1L so I'm familiar with "HEMI tick".

The sound the 6.4L was putting out was much more than "HEMI tick". In fact, the first time it really got loud I looked back to make sure there were no 5.9L 24V Cummins badges on the truck! :roflsquared:

So on 4/16/15 I dropped it off with the dealer, advised the service writer that there was a problem and that they should listen to it under cold start conditions. They called me back last night to advise they will need to keep the truck "for a few days" to tear down the engine. Oh joy...:yucky:

More later...

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Is there anyway you can post a video of the noise so some can get a better sense on what it is just in case someone else may come across the same noise? I know some 5.7L and 6.1L Hemi's had a lifter issue and there for a while some recent 5.7L Hemi's had timing chain issues. Good luck and I hope they find and repair what ever it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have no video of the noise.

Basically it sounds like a huge group of small metal hammers drumming on the head.

They called me back this AM (yup, my dealer service department is open on Saturday) and told me that they went out and cold started two other 6.4L equipped trucks and neither of those made that sort of noise.

I'm guessin' there is a lifter problem...unless they forgot to check the oil prior to putting it on the lot. :D

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
rut roh

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Thoughts

Well, after having your Ram for less than a month and now needing major engine work, might, if something you wish you had purchased different (diff gears, trim pkg, etc. ) might be the time to ask to be set up in another Ram that has something different. Just a thought. Might be a little hard for them to refuse a reasonable request.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing I'd rather have than the one I purchased. It meets my needs, it has the equipment package I wanted and it was the best of 5 trucks I personally looked over and test drove.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is what greeted me when I stepped into the dealer's service bay this afternoon:

042015%2001_zps6hoyd5xk.jpg

0420152002_zpsowni0tba.jpg

0420152003_zpsfltfvpve.jpg

0420152004_zpshxbqatl0.jpg

0420152005_zpsjrhdyp0f.jpg

I talked with the tech, the service writer and the service manager during my visit.

The dealer had received a TSB from CJDR corporate over the weekend that describes the symptoms I was experiencing. The tech is following the instructions of the TSB and has partially disassembled the top end and pulled the pan to inspect the lower end.

The service writer advised that he can get me a loaner tomorrow if I want one.

The service manager said he'd provide me a copy of the TSB when I picked up the loaner. He also advised that if the inspection finds the condition described in the TSB, a new engine will be installed.

I'm anxious to read that TSB and will share it with you as soon as I get it.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wow.... that's crazy. Yeah, that's quite a little TSB. I can just see it:

Problem: Engine Tick
Cause: Defective Engine
Solution: Replace Engine

For your sake this sucks... for everyone's sake I hope it's not a widespread thing that causes owners a bunch of headaches and gives the blue oval worship group some material.

At least it seems like there should be a quick resolution. Sounds like you have a pretty good attitude about it and are getting taken care of.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
There is a TSB for engine noise, applies to vehicles built from June 16,2014 to October 7,2014. The issue is some engines were built with incorrect wrist pins. Repair procedure is a new engine.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
They started two 2015 model 6.4L equipped trucks on Friday and neither exhibited the problem. So whatever it is, it seems to be a 2014 model issue.

Thanks for that info on the wrist pins. I need to look up my build date!

I'm certainly not happy about the situation but it won't do any good to rant or go off on the dealer. They didn't build the vehicle but they will fix it and to get paid for doing so, they will do what Dodge tells them to do to fix the issue. I just want to know what the issue is, what Dodge says must be done and get the documentation to show what's been done and why.

Defecation occurs...

I'm also kind of curious as to how long this will all take. :(

14RedPowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There is a TSB for engine noise, applies to vehicles built from June 16,2014 to October 7,2014. The issue is some engines were built with incorrect wrist pins. Repair procedure is a new engine.

Do you have a copy of this TSB or number for it?

MADDOG

Let us know what the results are from the tech's evaulation of the internals. Looks like I may be contacting my dealer about this as well, as my 14' 6.4L is also noisy as well on a cold start up. Just would like a TSB # or copy of it so I can show my service department before heading over there.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
holy crap... subscribing...

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OK guys...I got a copy of the Service Bulletin which has also been issued as a Rapid Response Transmittal. The Service Bulletin # is 09-002-15. The RRT # is 15-038.

The information I don't have is the VIN list referenced in the document but the document does list sales codes and a VIN range.

As for my truck they have completed the diagnostics and will be contacting Dodge for a replacement engine. No timeline for that to happen has been provided.

I now have a loaner which was given to me tonight. Gotta love going from a HEMI to a sewing machine. :D

042115%20Loaner_zpslcduqzle.jpg

I hope the info I've managed to secure will help my fellow 6.4L owners.

Unfortunately, the document is too big to attach per the forum limits so if you want a copy, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

jpro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
A week after I bought my truck I took it back to the dealership to have the bed liner sprayed on. By this time I can already hear a loud squealing noise. It was a very annoying to hear but I can only hear it when the windows are down. It was loud enough that it turns peoples head with a "WTF is that noise?" look on their faces. It was hit and miss, sometimes it is prominent sometimes you could hardly hear it at all. The noise sounded like a combination of loose slipping belt / exhaust leak / water pump going bad.

I left it at the dealership overnight in order for them to do a cold start in the morning. They could not hear the noise.

2000 miles later I took my truck to my local dealership to do an oil change (first oil change) and told them about the noise and to check it for me. They did not hear the noise and it was possible that if there was a noise the oil change may have fixed it. I drove the truck home and I did not hear any noise either.

The two days later the noise came back. I noticed it driving to work and I was not happy.

Long story short, I received a phone call from a Chrysler executive and from my local dealership Service Manager. I was told I am getting a new engine due to a bad wristpin material. My new engine is being ordered as we speak.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I must be getting old and it's been too long since I've worked on cars. What the hell is a "wristpin"? :)

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I know the bulletin is calling out only the 2014 model at the moment but my 2015 is showing the same symptoms as well as it falls under the same codes listed in the bulletin and is in the range of dates listed...

Glad to see that the dealers are attract taking care of the problems...

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
The wrist pin is what connects the piston head to the connecting rods...

I must be getting old and it's been too long since I've worked on cars. What the hell is a "wristpin"? :)