The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I must be getting old and it's been too long since I've worked on cars. What the hell is a "wristpin"? :)

In internal combustion engines, the wrist pin connects the piston to the connecting rod and provides a bearing for the connecting rod to pivot upon as the piston moves.

220px-Gudgeon-pin-and-connecting-rod-drawing.svg.png

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I know the bulletin is calling out only the 2014 model at the moment but my 2015 is showing the same symptoms as well as it falls under the same codes listed in the bulletin and is in the range of dates listed...

Glad to see that the dealers are attract taking care of the problems...

Really it depends on the noise. The 6.4 in the trucks is a heavy duty engine, and it is much noisier compared to a 5.7 in a 1500. The first time I heard one that was the first thing I noticed is that it's noisier then I expected. I've had a few customers complain about it but once they understand it, they're ok with it. However there is a fine line between normal engine noise and engine knock.

If you're worried at all, take it in. That's what warranty is for.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Honestly, I'm kind of the fence as to whether or not I want mine to be part of the problem. The downside is I lose the use of my truck for +/- a week. The plus side is a get a new engine after putting 25K on in the last year :)

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What Tach_tech says is true.

In my case I ain't talking about ticking. I didn't name this "The Clattering Truck Thread" for no reason. Mine was making one hell of a racket!

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
My noise has been really hit and miss... sometimes it will really clatter, some times its a tick, some times is a squeal and sometimes there is nothing...

oh well, at least it appears that Ram is aware of it and doing what needs to be done to get it corrected at least. My dealership has me scheduled as early as they can and my salesman has already scheduled me a loaner. I am a touch nervous as we have a camping trip planned for memorial week with a 9,000 pound camper going roughly 6 hours, but the salesman said they would take care of me if it got stretched out to that point... hopefully not, but i am happy that they are doing what they can to fix us all up!

keep us posted on your repairs guys!

14RedPowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am scheduling my truck to be dropped off at the dealer next week. My 2014 Power Wagon w/6.4 falls under the build dates on this TSB as it was built in August of 2014. My motor makes the clattering noise on startup and is very noticeable when starting it up in the morning in the garage. It's definately not the infamous hemi tick as I have had two hemi ram trucks before this one and know that distinct sound, this is much more audible as stated by MADDOG. The whole idea of them swapping out a new motor does not have me too excited to say the least. I may look into see if it is possible to swap trucks, instead of engines. Not too happy with Ram on this issue.

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure if mine falls under the build date or not, it was built June 2014. I would think that part would fall under the 100k powertrain warranty.

I figure if my vin falls under the TSB I'll wait till she gets closer to the 100k mark to get a new engine. This way I can get more for my aggravation since I am pretty sure the new engine would also come with a warranty

jpro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
A week after I bought my truck I took it back to the dealership to have the bed liner sprayed on. By this time I can already hear a loud squealing noise. It was a very annoying to hear but I can only hear it when the windows are down. It was loud enough that it turns peoples head with a "WTF is that noise?" look on their faces. It was hit and miss, sometimes it is prominent sometimes you could hardly hear it at all. The noise sounded like a combination of loose slipping belt / exhaust leak / water pump going bad.

I left it at the dealership overnight in order for them to do a cold start in the morning. They could not hear the noise.

2000 miles later I took my truck to my local dealership to do an oil change (first oil change) and told them about the noise and to check it for me. They did not hear the noise and it was possible that if there was a noise the oil change may have fixed it. I drove the truck home and I did not hear any noise either.

The two days later the noise came back. I noticed it driving to work and I was not happy.

Long story short, I received a phone call from a Chrysler executive and from my local dealership Service Manager. I was told I am getting a new engine due to a bad wristpin material. My new engine is being ordered as we speak.

I received a call from the Service Manager, my new engine has arrived and I have an appointment to bring my truck in next week to do the engine swap.

hammer40

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had my engine replaced at 4000 miles due to the faulty wrist pin TSB. It was a pain in the ***. I'm at 11,000 miles now and I'm having another cold start clattering, though not as bad. It's going in next week.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Does anyone have a rough date range of affected trucks?

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Does anyone have a rough date range of affected trucks?

The service bulletin says:

This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after June 16, 2014 (0616XX) and on or before October 7, 2014 (1007XX) equipped with a 6.4L engine (sales code ESA or ESB).

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after June 16, 2014 (0616XX) and on or before October 7, 2014 (1007XX) equipped with a 6.4L engine (sales code ESA or ESB).

Thanks..... mine was in my driveway by 03/14 so I guess I'm in the clear. It's interesting they'd start doing it right.... then wrong.... then right again. I've seen lots of problems with first model year trucks but usually the problems start right from the beginning. There's always the chance it gets expanded, I suppose.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine

Craaaaaaaaaaaap! My truck was built July 24, 2014. Ugh

No noises yet, but now I'm going to be worried about it! [emoji15]

Just at around 4800km on it and took it in for it's first oil change

Last edited:

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Oh.... youll start hearing them now (there or not) :)

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A week after I bought my truck I took it back to the dealership to have the bed liner sprayed on. By this time I can already hear a loud squealing noise. It was a very annoying to hear but I can only hear it when the windows are down. It was loud enough that it turns peoples head with a "WTF is that noise?" look on their faces. It was hit and miss, sometimes it is prominent sometimes you could hardly hear it at all. The noise sounded like a combination of loose slipping belt / exhaust leak / water pump going bad.

I left it at the dealership overnight in order for them to do a cold start in the morning. They could not hear the noise.

2000 miles later I took my truck to my local dealership to do an oil change (first oil change) and told them about the noise and to check it for me. They did not hear the noise and it was possible that if there was a noise the oil change may have fixed it. I drove the truck home and I did not hear any noise either.

The two days later the noise came back. I noticed it driving to work and I was not happy.

Long story short, I received a phone call from a Chrysler executive and from my local dealership Service Manager. I was told I am getting a new engine due to a bad wristpin material. My new engine is being ordered as we speak.

Uh oh, my truck makes this noise pretty loud now nearly 100% of the time.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thanks..... mine was in my driveway by 03/14 so I guess I'm in the clear. It's interesting they'd start doing it right.... then wrong.... then right again. I've seen lots of problems with first model year trucks but usually the problems start right from the beginning. There's always the chance it gets expanded, I suppose.

Since the wrist pins are an outsourced part, it appears they only received bad pins for a particular period of time.

And there is a chance that you'll never experience the problem, too. The defective wrist pins obviously did not get into every engine built during that period as I suspect there were still wristpins on the floor that pre-dated the defective production units and new pins came in before all the bad ones were used.

ForceofWill

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CC Trades
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Looks like mine was build 3-14 so I should be good, probably just a slightly loose belt.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Where are the 6.4 motors built anyways?

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you find the exact build date? The door sticker on my truck shows a manuf date of 6/14.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I got my build date by emailing Dodge and requesting the build sheet.

Here's the link to where you can send them your request:

Email Dodge