Converting back to RAM from GM....help me decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89BLK5OH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everybody,

I was a previous ram owner ('05 1500 QC 5.7 4x4)...liked the truck a lot....but got sick of the hemi tick and other front suspension and steering issues...

I am a professional Automotive Technician and I hate having to repair my own vehicle...after the Ram I purchased a new 2013 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 6.0L w 3.73 gear.....I work on these trucks frequently, have a repair contract with a large construction company who has a couple hundred of these GM trucks.....very reliable, tough truck that impressed me.

At the time I really liked the Ram 2500....but didn't want to get into another ticking 5.7L.....or deal with potential death wobble/ front end issues with the '03-'13 chassis....So I went to Chevy.

But....I've never been a fan of how it drives...always felt sluggish and under powered....I even have a custom tune....still not happy....the 4.10 gear was near impossible to find on a lot...and a Duramax was not in my budget.

So, I've been thinking about going back to a Ram 2500 with a 6.4L with a 4.10, maybe even a power wagon. I've been doing a lot of reading in the 6.4L thread.

I'm trying to sort out a test drive with a 6.4L RAM 2500....also a bit hard to find with a 4.10.....may just have to drive a power wagon.

On paper the ram seems like more truck for your money. They stepped their game up, with the new chassis, coil spring rear, 11.5 AAM rear axle and 6.4L.

Anybody have experience with both trucks (GM HD & RAM HD) ???? Driving impressions ???? Any input or opinion is appreciated.

Sorry for the story, thanks in advance. :favorites13:

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My previous ride was a 2012 Chevy 3500 srw 6.0/6 speed/3.73's and have a 2015 ram 6.4 3500 3.73's till about noon (going cummins) the 6.4 makes a 6.0 feel like it's missing 2 cylinders, and the trans behaves much better on the ram, wish I had gotten the 4.10's (and a later build. As I'm in a tsb for bad wrist pins which my motor is banging hard... Look at my post a few below this) far as the ride. Gm has that. But the ram is built a lot heavier, I don't have anything against gm (besides their ******** commercials) and fuel mileage I'm doing better on the ram over the Chevy while daily driving or pulling, I just stopped at the local ram dealer and they where blowing on the few 16's he has left. And couldn't pass up a hummin cummins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've had nothing but Ram trucks since 1999 so I can't comment on a comparison.

Having said that I am very pleased with my 6.4L truck with the 3.73 gear set. It's comfortable, suspension is very nice (my bro-in-law's Phord feels like a straight axle buck board to me compared to the RAM), it has good power (better now with a programmer and custom tune on it) and I'm glad I made the decision to purchase it

The 6.4L still ticks a bit, as all HEMI's seem to do, and it's perfect for me as I tow but I don't tow that big of loads.

Good luck with your decision.

huntntruk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My father in law has a 2015 Chevy 2500 with the 6.2. I have a ram 2500 6.4 with 4.10. My truck rides so much smoother. Any bumps or ruts in his truck feel like Im riding in a tractor. I almost had to get out of his truck because on the way into deer camp the trail was a little rough and his truck was so damn uncomfortable. Mine feels like a stout 1500. Stiff but smooth. Mine definitely sits higher and feels like a bigger truck but that could be just because he has a reg cab. Both good heavy duty trucks but Im glad I have my ram. I think they are the class leader with the solid front axle and coil springs. I cant comment on power really because I don't drive them like race trucks but they both have plenty to do what we need to do. both have been loaded to the gills with firewood and you could barely tell it was there.

champ198

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
. . . . So, I've been thinking about going back to a Ram 2500 with a 6.4L with a 4.10, maybe even a power wagon. I've been doing a lot of reading in the 6.4L thread. . . .

My good friend just got a red '16 2500 Power Wagon. He loves it. 6.4, 4.10 gears, Goodyear Duratracs, optioned out. The side graphics are growing on him. He got it used with 4k miles on it.

Of course, I'm loving my 3500 (my first RAM truck). The trucks have really come a long way. I have been a Ford guy most of my life, but these new RAMS are great trucks.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I drove nothing but Chevy's since I converted to them in '97...a '93, '96, '01, & '04 with an '05 F250 in there for a mowing crew truck (Ford was in the shop 4 times a year the 2 years I had it.) This is my first Ram and is my favorite out of all of them. 6.4 Hemi crew cab short bed 4x4.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Get the 4.10 gears, you'll be happy you did when going to a larger tire.

OP
OP

89BLK5OH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys....keep the comments coming....

Another complaint of mine about the GM trucks is the wax coating they put on the chassis....it peels off, and underneath it, you have rust.....pretty ridiculous for a $50k truck.....I've spent hours upon hours touching up the chassis.

My 8 year old Ram 1500 looked close to new underneath, a few touch ups here and there....nothing like the PITA the Chevy has been.

Ram and Ford actually paint the chassis.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love my 6.4 for the most part. The tranny gear spacing and shifting is my only real gripe (and it's shared by many others). Basically, it bogs down waaaaaay to far before downshifting and the gap between 1st - 2nd seems like a mile when towing heavy. As a daily driver the gap is not really much of an issue.

The real thing that sold me on the Ram and would make me buy another is the rear coil springs. IMO they are just much better than leafs. The ride is better and the towing experience is way better. Where leafs give you a slapping/jarring experience the coils are more smooth and even. It's still a rough ride but that's an HD truck.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
No experience with Chevy - But the 6.4 and 4.10 gets it moving so fast, no strain, you really need to have a light foot.
It seems dealers order the 4.10s with the 5th wheel prep. and 4x4s.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 6.4 with 373"s .. It pulls just fine I really wish they actually made a higher gear set than 410"s- A few members have spent the 2k- 3k and upgraded to 456.. I personally want to do this Becuase it is such a big truck and with the hp and tranny 456 in my mind would be a good match, and with the mds may even net better fuel mileage. 373 to 410"s is a minimal jump. But to each thier own. my truck rides a little stiff but I know it's these damn **** fire stones.. Getting new tires in a week- Can't wait.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
The Hemi tick is still there, so unless you have gotten over that, you will be disappointed again.
4:10 seem to be a special order items, as already noted, but of you are going with the PW, the 4:10 are standard.
Good luck with your new possible purchase.
The Ram 2500 is great, but cannot compare to the GM.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a 2007 Silverado with the 6.0 Vortec Max and 3.73. It was a quick truck and towed power wise relatively well. My Tundra was better than the Silverado though and the Ram is even better than the Tundra. I have 4.10 gears as well and tow about an 8-9000lb travel trailer. It tows well on the interstates here in WV, as long as the speed limit is where you can keep around 60-65. Anything slower and it downshifts to 2nd on the steeper inclines. However, that is typical of any gas enginer.

Something to note, the Power Wagon, though having 4.10 gear has a lower GVWR making your payload much less than a standard 2500 of 10,000 lbs. It is 8510 GVWR according to the towing charts on the very last line of Pg. 3 at: https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2016_ram_2500_towing_charts.pdf

j75949

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I love my 6.4, i havent spent much time in a hd chevy but i am a tech myself and service a small fleet of them and i cant get over the awful turning radius. my ram 2500 turns just about as well as my f150. the trans could be better but if it last its fine. i think ive been spoiled by the zf and its variants. mine has 3.73 gears and it is sufficient, but i will be limited in tire size.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sorry ahead of time for the long post:

I tried all three brands before I bought my Ram. The 6.0 GM with 4.10, the ford 6.2 with 4.30s and then the Ram 6.4 with 3.73 (I had them get me the 4.10). The Ram by far was the best feeling seat of the pants I drove. The Ford I didn't get to drive over like 40 mph due to the dealership being in town. The GM 6.0 felt anemic and I previously had many GM products. It flat out felt sluggish empty, and I can only imagine loaded up.

I know many will complain about the gearing in the 6.4 tranny, but honestly, if you aren't towing long trips everyday, it's awesome empty as a daily driver. I don't drive out west in the Rockies, if I did, then I'd most likely have a Cummins. My budget just didn't allow a Cummins so I got the best I could get for my needs. We all have our restrictions when buying.

Overall, I love my truck and I make excuses to drive it. I've had a Duramax and a 6.4 Powerstroke, my Dad had a 7.3 Powerstroke, I've had 5.3 GMs and a 6.0 GM, and had a Tundra 5.7 with the 4.30 gears. I like my Ram as much if not better than any of them. I have the same torque as the old 7.3 Powerstrokes (albeit not at as low of rpm). I thought that was the "be all end all" of towing when I was 16. Now we always want more and more.

Sorry for the long post, just thought I needed to ge that out there!!

OP
OP

89BLK5OH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks again for the replies....long stories are welcome :happy107:

I rarely if ever tow...if anything once in a blue moon to help a buddy out.

A 1500 would serve me better....but in my area a nicely optioned 1500 sells for the same as a 2500....so I cant justify paying the same for less truck, plus the 1500 depreciation is far greater due do a flooded market. You search autotrader and there are 800+ 1500s for sale....search 2500s...100 or less available.

I find the 2500s hold their value a bit better....they are more attractive at resale for the commercial market vs the 1500....always landscapers and construction guys looking for good HD trucks.

Being a Tech....I also find the 1500s are heavy on service....high cost of ownership...like owning a really expensive car.... that plummets in value.

Not knocking the 1500s....love the trucks....but I always look at the mechanicals and durability....and the 2500s win in that category.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

A 1500 would serve me better....but in my area a nicely optioned 1500 sells for the same as a 2500....so I cant justify paying the same for less truck, plus the 1500 depreciation is far greater due do a flooded market. You search autotrader and there are 800+ 1500s for sale....search 2500s...100 or less available.

I find the 2500s hold their value a bit better....they are more attractive at resale for the commercial market vs the 1500....always landscapers and construction guys looking for good HD trucks.

Being a Tech....I also find the 1500s are heavy on service....high cost of ownership...like owning a really expensive car.... that plummets in value.

Not knocking the 1500s....love the trucks....but I always look at the mechanicals and durability....and the 2500s win in that category.

Maybe I'm just a borderline old guy with a bad back but I'd NEVER buy a 2500 if I didn't need it. It just doesn't ride anywhere near as soft as what a 1500 does. Nothing wrong with any brand - it's just physics.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I love the truck in my sig line below. Been very happy with it so far.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

Okay... bear in mind, I'm a long time GM guy. Still am. I wanted a new 2500 and the GM dealers in my area are just terrible. Anyhow, I ended up with a '16 Ram 4x4 Laramie w/6.4 crew and 3.73s.

This is my second Ram. I still own 3 GM trucks. All have 3.73s. A 6.0 in an '01 2500, a 5.3 in an '02 Yukon and a 6.2 in a Yukon XL Denali AWD. 4L60E trannies in the Yukons and 4L80 in the pickup. I say that to say this: I HATE the transmission in my Ram. It just feels very unsorted and it is downright erratic when cold and trying to drive easy. After it's warm, it just seems like it's confused and I think it's more than likely software-induced in an effort to try to squeeze all the mpgs out of it as possible.

Overall, I really like my Ram. Looks great, rides great, decent gas mileage for its class, etc. But there are some things I do not like. As mentioned above, one big one is the transmission. Another is the traction control. It cannot be bypassed and therefore, the truck is a gutless wonder off the line. Will not even try to spin, not even on wet or muddy roads! WTF? I am going to get a programmer and see how that does. One last and fairly minor annoyance; the brakes while towing are far from confidence-inspiring.

I've had the truck for 5 months now and have put 7k miles on it. To be completely honest, I don't know if I would do it over again. The transmission and traction control combo are just about a deal breaker for me. One thing I can tell you for sure is that any of my GMs will whip that big Ram's ass in a drag race without trying. Obviously, none of them were bred to race, but who doesn't like to burn a little rubber every now and again? What is perhaps more important, why does the manufacturer feel it necessary to take ALL the fun out of my $60k truck?