Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Over the last 8k miles my truck has swallowed a 1/2 gallon of coolant. It is not leaving any visible marks from leaking so I guess it's getting burned up somewhere...on a hot engine component or in the cylinders. Anyone else having this issue?

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Does your truck smell like coolant on the front end? Mine uses a bit of coolant too. No leaks, no spots... But when I walk around the front of the truck after parking it smells like coolant!

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Does your truck smell like coolant on the front end? Mine uses a bit of coolant too. No leaks, no spots... But when I walk around the front of the truck after parking it smells like coolant!

Yup, it does. And every so often when I'm driving down the hi way I get a really strong smell of it too. I used to think it was someone in front of me but now I'm wondering.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Got to be going somewhere. How does the oil look? Any white smoke coming out the tail pipe?

I would have the dealer look at it and pressure test the system.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Oil is fine and no smoke...it's going in for the dealer to look at for sure just wanted to see if I was the only one...you know, misery loves company.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You'll have to let me know. I've only put about a quart in since I've owned it, and I have 14k on it now. My oil is fine as well with no smoke... Not sure when I'll have a chance yet to bother the dealer, but very interested to hear what they say.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can actually smell it, it's leaking onto a hot surface. It may not be hitting the ground but it is seeping from somewhere. Pressure testing the cooling system should find it

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Mine does it as well, also see no puddles nor can I find any trace evidence of where exactly it is coming from. The smell seems to emanate from the front passenger's side of the truck. I made an appointment with the dealership, hopefully they don't give me the "could not replicate" standard BS answer.

Anyone see a pattern here? Is this a 6.4L problem? Previously we had the leaky oil filter adapter, which was fixed under recall. Maybe there is another recall pending or coming out for 6.4l hemorrhaging coolant?

Last edited:

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine has an appointment next Wednesday as well. It started to smell worse so I upped the urgency. I'll let you guys know what they say.

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Thank cptwing and Ionicbrick...please let me know. I don't know when I'll be able to take mine in since I want them to do the body mount/isolator TSB at the same time.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hmm... I may have them look at that on mine as well. I have a poping sound in the floor board on the drivers side when going over large bumps... Sounds like the freakin truck is going to fall apart!

OP
OP
Snake_Eyes

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
cptwing and Ionicbrick, any news from the dealer on your trucks?

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just dropped mine off tonight. I'll keep you posted.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
To update you all on mine... The dealer still has it. I suppose it had some software updates which have been done, and they ordered and installed a new map light for me that had some gremlins...
On the coolant leak, they're pulling out their hair. They are with me that something is wrong, as they smell the leak too. Initially they put everything under pressure, which held for a couple hours and then failed. Bewildered they replaced hose clamps and tested the cap, which passed. They put it under pressure again and had the same thing; held for a while and then failed. Curious as to wether they had malfunctioning equipment they tested one of their own trucks and it held pressure steady for the whole day. So they started removing various components and testing them individually. The heater core passed, overflow bottle and cap passed, and the radiator passed. As of this afternoon they were thinking maybe the bearing seal on the water pump has a slight weep to it. They've kept an eye on it and haven't seen any drips from it, but they think it might be possible that it's steaming off of it. It sounded like they were going to try to make a call on it tomorrow, as I guess FCA doesn't like them to have vehicles this long (we'll be at 5 business days by the end of tomorrow.)
I feel like the dealer maybe could have moved faster on this for me, but they are looking into it and agree with me that there's an issue. I use this truck to tow a lot for work and play and the last thing I need is for it to strand me somewhere. I'm just glad they're taking the time to try to figure it out.

I'll keep in touch as to what they actually do for it, and as I drive it for the next couple weeks I'll let you know if it actually fixed it. I think at this point if they replace something and it doesn't fix it I'll have to wait until I have a better leak.

Has anyone else taken theirs in yet?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nice that they seem to be putting some effort into it at least.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10
Mine has the odor of coolant as well.
I am pretty sure my overflow has sat at the min level for a while now though.
I recall someone posting a while ago something about a vent where the smell may have been coming from.
The systems on these trucks I believe are an open system, so totally new for me, not used to not having a rad cap on the rad & not sure exactly how these cooling systems work....

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Mine goes in monday for the coolant issue, I will let you all know how it works out. In addition to that I wanted them to perform the R46 trackbar recall. I was told the parts would take months to get? WTF?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963