Crappy Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've had an issue with my 2016 Power Wagon since I bought it new. I've taken it to the dealership 3 times and they have not been able to fix it... so I'm looking for help here...

Basically, the brakes are weak. It's as if they only work at 75%
1. In panic stop situations the pedal goes to the floor and the truck stops, but not nearly as fast as one would expect.
2. Backing out of my driveway downhill, it takes full force just to stop the truck, and it rolls a few feet before it stops.
3. Anti-Lock never activates, even in panic stops... brakes couldn't lock up the tires in my wildest dreams.
4. In 4WD the brakes can't stop the truck. If I hold the gas pedal and the brakes at the same time, the engine "wins."

I had a 2006 Diesel Megacab and the brakes worked just fine... this 2016 has the worst brakes of any vehicle I have ever driven.

On the third visit to the dealer they replaced the brake booster and the check valve. This did not fix the problem.

So, I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue? Do you think the master cylinder could be the culprit?

Help is appreciated.

Here is a video I took after my first visit to the dealer:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7tf82q87hl0umg/IMG_6982.MOV?dl=0https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7tf82q87hl0umg/IMG_6982.MOV?dl=0

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Could be the ABS module. I would return to the dealer and say here is my truck, please provide me a rental and call me when it's fixed.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The key - be nice. Don't demand and throw a fit. You've got to be civil and come across as a nice guy. You'll get more from a dealer this way.

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Could be the ABS module. I would return to the dealer and say here is my truck, please provide me a rental and call me when it's fixed.

Unfortunately we both know they don't give a ****... this is a dealer we are talking about. First visit they "couldn't duplicate the problem." Second visit they acknowledged the problem and reprogrammed the computer. Third visit they replaced the vacuum booster and check valve. No loaner or free rental on any occasion.

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I was thinking the same thing... could be limiting hydraulic pressure to the brakes. I've asked the dealer to do a caliper pressure test and they look at me like I am an alien.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Unfortunately we both know they don't give a ****... this is a dealer we are talking about. First visit they "couldn't duplicate the problem." Second visit they acknowledged the problem and reprogrammed the computer. Third visit they replaced the vacuum booster and check valve. No loaner or free rental on any occasion.

I know some people hate dealers. I've never had a bad experience with a dealer from Ram or Dodge. Chevrolet not too bad, but they where the ones that always tried to get out of doing stuff, but would do it.

I've had great experiences with any dealer. Maybe you can try another dealer? Going to a new dealer is actually in your benefit, because they will TRY to win you over so you keep going to them. If you explain your issue and troubles at an other dealer, the service advisor gets paid for work.. and will try to win you over.

Hopefully, you live in a area like I do, where I can go to 5 different dealers with in a 10 mile radius.

I have friends all over dealers, from parts managers, service advisors, techs and sales... I hear some of the stories.. and tricks of the trade.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a guy on here not to long ago with a 5.7 2500 who had the same issue- only he mainly had problems launching his small boat - Truck just would not stop. I don't know if he ever got it resolved but it is definetly a issue- i would take the service manager for a ride let him drive - shave him get on it and slam on the brakes... if it is as bad as you say it is he should be willing to try and sort it.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There was a guy on here not to long ago with a 5.7 2500 who had the same issue- only he mainly had problems launching his small boat - Truck just would not stop. I don't know if he ever got it resolved but it is definetly a issue- i would take the service manager for a ride let him drive - shave him get on it and slam on the brakes... if it is as bad as you say it is he should be willing to try and sort it.

Here is the thread;
http://www.ramforum.com/f119/braking-104417/

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When you depress the brake pedal, does it feel harder to push down then it should be? When you say the 'brakes go to the floor', do you mean they go down to where they should fully depressed, or literally to the floor? I doubt they would have told you, but do you know if there were any codes found in the ABS module or if they could get the ABS module to bleed or activate all the valves with a scanner/computer? Also, when you said they replaced the "booster", do you mean the hydro-boost assembly? Our heavy-duty trucks do not have conventional brakes with vacuum boosters. They have hydro-boost, which runs off the power steering pump. If you hold your brakes and turn the steering wheel back and forth, is the steering harder than usual?

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Those surveys chrysler sends via email.... complete one each time if the issue is NOT resolved to your satisfaction. REALLY. You'll get a call from the dealership to get you in to fix your issue. That's worked every time with me when the dealer doesn't fix the issue the first time. I've only had to do it twice when I had my jeep.

Especially since it's a safety issue not being able to stop. For some reason, the dealers take those surveys as a pretty big deal.

Personally I think my truck stops great for such a big heavy truck!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a car decide they needed to change lanes in front of me a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you that mine will definitely kick the abs on with 35's even. I know first hand just how frustrating it can be dealing with dealers not listening so good luck!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When you depress the brake pedal, does it feel harder to push down then it should be? When you say the 'brakes go to the floor', do you mean they go down to where they should fully depressed, or literally to the floor? I doubt they would have told you, but do you know if there were any codes found in the ABS module or if they could get the ABS module to bleed or activate all the valves with a scanner/computer? Also, when you said they replaced the "booster", do you mean the hydro-boost assembly? Our heavy-duty trucks do not have conventional brakes with vacuum boosters. They have hydro-boost, which runs off the power steering pump. If you hold your brakes and turn the steering wheel back and forth, is the steering harder than usual?

The diesels have hydro boost, the hemis have vacuum boosters. My truck is a Power Wagon with 6.4 Hemi. The pedal takes more pressure than it should. In panic stops i press the pedal as hard as I can, it bottoms out... truck stops, but not as fast as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Those surveys chrysler sends via email.... complete one each time if the issue is NOT resolved to your satisfaction. REALLY. You'll get a call from the dealership to get you in to fix your issue. That's worked every time with me when the dealer doesn't fix the issue the first time. I've only had to do it twice when I had my jeep.

Especially since it's a safety issue not being able to stop. For some reason, the dealers take those surveys as a pretty big deal.

My last Ram stopped great too... that's why I know there is something wrong with this one.

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a car decide they needed to change lanes in front of me a couple of weeks ago and I can tell you that mine will definitely kick the abs on with 35's even. I know first hand just how frustrating it can be dealing with dealers not listening so good luck!

Mine has 35's... I can barely get the ABS to activate on wet roads.

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Been there. Done that. Even had a Chrysler Customer Care Case opened. They closed the case even though I told them the problem persists. Corporate BS.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The diesels have hydro boost, the hemis have vacuum boosters. My truck is a Power Wagon with 6.4 Hemi. The pedal takes more pressure than it should. In panic stops i press the pedal as hard as I can, it bottoms out... truck stops, but not as fast as it should.

Look again, you have hydro boost.

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All of the Ram 2500s and up should have hydro-boost. I know my 2017 2500 6.4 has it. Vehicles with hydro-boost are commonly misdiagnosed. Most garages that are just used to working on cars and light-duty trucks for the majority of their work are used to working on hydro-boost systems. The dealership you go to, do they sell alot of heavy-duty trucks? Where I have worked for 10 years, I work on everything. We have customers and accounts that have anything from small cars to big rigs. So, I am very familiar with these systems. That's why I was asking for alot of questions pertaining to your problem.

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All of the Ram 2500s and up should have hydro-boost. I know my 2017 2500 6.4 has it. Vehicles with hydro-boost are commonly misdiagnosed. Most garages that are just used to working on cars and light-duty trucks for the majority of their work are used to working on hydro-boost systems. The dealership you go to, do they sell alot of heavy-duty trucks? Where I have worked for 10 years, I work on everything. We have customers and accounts that have anything from small cars to big rigs. So, I am very familiar with these systems. That's why I was asking for alot of questions pertaining to your problem.

Negative. 6.4 Hemi trucks have vacuum boosters. The vacuum line clearly comes out of the brake booster on the firewall and goes to the intake manifold. Appreciate you trying to help, but you're incorrect.