Crappy Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Negative. 6.4 Hemi trucks have vacuum boosters. The vacuum line clearly comes out of the brake booster on the firewall and goes to the intake manifold. Appreciate you trying to help, but you're incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0794d9ac92640b3d9c5562336787cc20.jpg

297f162ce159610ab58d3a631d0c0921.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Look again, you have hydro boost.

All of the Ram 2500s and up should have hydro-boost. I know my 2017 2500 6.4 has it. Vehicles with hydro-boost are commonly misdiagnosed.

Granted this is from Ram Canada, but is the US 2500 built differently?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...iIATAZ&usg=AFQjCNH5ndKSQwiWXblvn-3bwD8K55vPeA
83a72d56825aeaf790b2a8e00b35a051.jpg

Negative. 6.4 Hemi trucks have vacuum boosters. The vacuum line clearly comes out of the brake booster on the firewall and goes to the intake manifold. Appreciate you trying to help, but you're incorrect.

Last edited:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, I want to know why yours is different, all 2500's should have hydro boost, so either for 2016 they switched the power wagon to vacuum assist or the Canadian gas trucks have vacuum. I know for 2014 and 2015 every single hd had hydro boost but I haven't payed much attention to the 2016 and 2017 model years.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have hydro-boost and I have a 6.4 Hemi. I'm not sure if it is the packages my truck has? I have the 22A Tradesman package, snow cheif, I have the entire build sheet...heavy duty engine cooling, 220amp alternator, etc. Maybe its just the package? I do not have another 2500 to look at right now. I have been a mechanic for 10 years, I am 100% sure I am looking at a hydroboost system under my hood. Now I am very interested of why I have have it and apparently others do not.

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have hydro-boost and I have a 6.4 Hemi. I'm not sure if it is the packages my truck has? I have the 22A Tradesman package, snow cheif, I have the entire build sheet...heavy duty engine cooling, 220amp alternator, etc. Maybe its just the package? I do not have another 2500 to look at right now. I have been a mechanic for 10 years, I am 100% sure I am looking at a hydroboost system under my hood. Now I am very interested of why I have have it and apparently others do not.

I am too! I was thinking of seeing if I could convert mine to hydro. Maybe they changed it for 2017???

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am assuming it must be a Canadian thing. Im assuming because maybe it is colder that they have vacuum-assist instead of hydraulic. The power steering fluid will get very thick when it is cold until the engine heats up, which in extreme cold, it can bubble over before heated up cause ****** braking and steering.

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For work I have a program called Mitchell that I can look up every car it, it is all connected to Snap-On. Unfortunately, 2014+ heavy duty is vague on information, i'm not sure why. But they call come up with Hydro-Boost. It will not let me choose Canada made as an option. I'm not saying this because i am obviously biased, but where i work the Dodge trucks do not come in for anything but normal maintenance because they really just don't have problems, or if they do they are still under warranty. We also do state inspections, so i am going to start looking under the hoods when they come in.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For work I have a program called Mitchell that I can look up every car it, it is all connected to Snap-On. Unfortunately, 2014+ heavy duty is vague on information, i'm not sure why. But they call come up with Hydro-Boost. It will not let me choose Canada made as an option. I'm not saying this because i am obviously biased, but where i work the Dodge trucks do not come in for anything but normal maintenance because they really just don't have problems, or if they do they are still under warranty. We also do state inspections, so i am going to start looking under the hoods when they come in.
I always preferred alldata because I hated looking stuff up on Mitchell, situations like this is why.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

According to the 2017 RAM 2500 spec sheet that Crash68 posted, it states all Hemi 5.7 and 6.4 should have vacuum assisted brakes... as mine does. If yours somehow got a hydroboost system, that would be odd. Throw some pics up on here. I'd like to see how they routed it... I could theoretically order the parts and convert mine. I know the only downfall of hydro-boost is weak steering at idle when holding the brakes, but I'd put up with that over what I'm dealing with now.

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here is a video I took after my first dealer visit. As I stated in my original post, on visits 2 and 3 they acknowledged the weak braking problem, but have still not fixed it. My goal posting on here was to get help to determine what is causing the issue. It's not the booster, but I wonder if the booster is getting enough vacuum pressure to operate normally? OR is the anti-lock system somehow reducing braking performance?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7tf82q87hl0umg/IMG_6982.MOV?dl=0

Dodge4x4810

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If there was a problem with the booster, it would affect the power brakes drastically. The booster is what obviously provides the power by vacuum. If the pedal is very hard to push down, the booster is usually to culprit. A good way to test is: hold the brakes down as you turn the truck off, the pedal should push up a bit. Also, push the pedal down and hold when the vehicle is off, then turn it on while you are still holding the pedal, the pedal should sink.

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If there was a problem with the booster, it would affect the power brakes drastically. The booster is what obviously provides the power by vacuum. If the pedal is very hard to push down, the booster is usually to culprit. A good way to test is: hold the brakes down as you turn the truck off, the pedal should push up a bit. Also, push the pedal down and hold when the vehicle is off, then turn it on while you are still holding the pedal, the pedal should sink.

I've already ruled out the booster itself. The vacuum pressure to the booster could be too low though. Dealer never tested that.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Man, that is a serious safety issue that is unacceptable for the dealer or FCA to allow you to continue to operate that vehicle.

Take it back to the dealer. Tell them you want it fixed and not to call you until it is. Document everything. Contact the BBB about the lemon laws in your state. If they can't fix it the BBB will help you lemon it for a replacement truck.

There is no excuse I would accept for a dealer to hand me my keys and say "sorry, your brakes don't work as they should. Here's your keys back, good luck!".

jaflowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
To the dealer........"So you are telling me that a critical safety device on my truck is not working to spec. and that you are not willing to take the time to fix it under warranty. What, you want me to go ahead and drive it home? Ok, but if I get into any accident my attorney's going to have a field day with you. Please sign this statement. Thanks."

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
To the dealer........"So you are telling me that a critical safety device on my truck is not working to spec. and that you are not willing to take the time to fix it under warranty. What, you want me to go ahead and drive it home? Ok, but if I get into any accident my attorney's going to have a field day with you. Please sign this statement. Thanks."

Yup. I've got pretty darn good documentation so far... including Chrysler support closing the case even though I told them the problem persists.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Contact the BBB about the lemon laws in your state. If they can't fix it the BBB will help you lemon it for a replacement truck.

The BBB is a useless paper lion and would be a waste of time. If the OP hasn't contacted Ram reps that visit here I'd suggest he do so. At this point he has nothing to lose.

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The BBB is a useless paper lion and would be a waste of time. If the OP hasn't contacted Ram reps that visit here I'd suggest he do so. At this point he has nothing to lose.

Who are the Ram reps on the forum?