Crazy highway vibration Brand New 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpeedE55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey all,

First time Ram owner. I just got a 2017 2500 6.7 Laramie Mega Cab. I traded in my 2012 Ford F450 6.7 for it. The Ford was also a great truck, just didn't need the towing capacity any longer and using a dually as a daily driver isn't all that practical.

The truck so far has been great other than a pretty noticeable shaking/vibration
doing 65+ mph on the highway. Anyone else ever experience this?
I have 18" factory aluminum wheels and OEM spec Firestone Transforce tires.

Anyone else heard of this issue? I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Steve

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I’ve had this happen when my tires need to be balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SpeedE55

SpeedE55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I certainly hadn't ruled out the tires, but given it's a brand new truck with 400 miles on it, it didn't seem likely.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I certainly hadn't ruled out the tires, but given it's a brand new truck with 400 miles on it, it didn't seem likely.

Yeah loading & unloading it off of rail cars & then back onto trucks there is no telling what they may have run over. In fact it would probably **** you off to find out how they treated your new truck before it got to the dealer.
I seen a video of guys unloading new cars off of a rail car & it looked like they were going doing 40-50mph through the railcar & off the ramp out the back.
Seems like someone posted on here awhile back that he had to take his new truck back 2 or 3 times for them to finally get the tires balanced out right.
Good luck... & keep on em' until they get it right!

OP
OP
SpeedE55

SpeedE55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep, I'm aware of how vehicles can be treated. I'm in the van conversion business myself and we get new ProMasters and Transits drop shipped from the factory directly to us. Never really seen a new vehicle tire issue though. I did just look up the factory invoice on the truck and it was in inventory for 240 days before I took delivery, so depending on how long it was sitting, may have gotten slight flat spots on the tires.:cheers:

Kingsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yep, I'm aware of how vehicles can be treated. I'm in the van conversion business myself and we get new ProMasters and Transits drop shipped from the factory directly to us. Never really seen a new vehicle tire issue though. I did just look up the factory invoice on the truck and it was in inventory for 240 days before I took delivery, so depending on how long it was sitting, may have gotten slight flat spots on the tires.:cheers:

I think you hit the nail on the head here. I've seen dealers have to replace new tires, yours might just be one that is in that pool. Tires aren't designed to sit like that for long periods with no movement.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mine are smooth as glass since new on 18" Firestone HTs. Currently at 30k miles.

I'm rolling on OEM 18" chrome steelies though. I did notice the factory balanced them with the weights at different areas (clock positions) on the outer side of the rims at least.

Rotated myself every 8k miles or so, never been rebalanced. I run 55 PSI front, 50 PSI rear.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Mine are smooth as glass since new on 18" Firestone HTs. Currently at 30k miles.

I'm rolling on OEM 18" chrome steelies though. I did notice the factory balanced them with the weights at different areas (clock positions) on the outer side of the rims at least.

Rotated myself every 8k miles or so, never been rebalanced. I run 55 PSI front, 50 PSI rear.

Mine were great with the HTs too, and the mileage was better to boot. When I switched to A/Ts the ride got harsher, and they’re harder to keep balanced. It was a necessity since we boondock in the desert. Nothing like being hitched up to your travel trailer, and thinking you’re going to be stuck in the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My money is either on tires or the wheels. One of our new fords in 2013 had a wheel that was out of round.. took the dealer a month to figure it out.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Be glad you don't own a 14 and up GM half ton. There are many complaints about vibration issues with those and they are very difficult to fix and at times GM has been buying them back. There's a several hundred page thread about it over on GM trucks.com

Hopefully your issue is not as bad to figure out. My 17 is very smooth. I'm running the oem 18" wheels and tires. 3k miles now and run front and rear at around 70psi

Jettix2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500HD
Engine
6.4 Hemi
These trucks seem sensitive to tire balancing issues. My OEM 18" Transforce ATs were as smooth as glass, but I replaced them with a better tire for this coming winter (Nokian Rotiiva AT) and the dealer has balanced them TWICE and I still have a vibration. They only have an old static balancer, and they recommended I have the Discount Tire (hour away) balance them with their Hunter Roadforce balancer, which I simply haven't had time to do....

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've had that problem a lot and it was always mud dried on the inner part of the rim. Also had guys pressure wash their wheels and knock weights off and have the same symptoms. Likely a wheel balance issue. I've also hit a pothole and had a small amount of tread seperation on my goodyear SRAS in the past which also had similar symptoms and the tire shop cleaned and balanced them without noticing. I just happened to park the right way and noticed it after a few days of banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out.

Markks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express RCSB 4X4
Engine
Pentastar
What ever you find out let us know..
My 16 1500 has had a vibration since day 1..
But it has the 20 wheels. Had a out of round wheel replaced,
and a set of Cooper's and it's decent now but still has slight
vibration in center armrest. Oh had to have Driveshaft
balanced also. But Dealer did nothing to help... Good Luck....

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963