cruise control stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb9lww

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3500 miles on a 2016 and my cruise stopped working. Have an appointment at the dealer next week. I'll let you know what they find.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a 2013 Ram 1500 Laramie. Somewhat overwhelming with all the buttons and controls this truck has. Anyway 2 days ago the cruise control would not come on. So I did a Google search '2013 ram laramie 1500 speed control will not turn on'. That's how I found this forum and thread. A couple links down there is a link to a YouTube video about this problem posted by conquryourfear where he shows his 2500 diesel and the problem/fix. After this video the next one hat comes up is posted by Rob Wagner showing nearly the same problem/fix for a 1500.
It's the freakin vacuum lines going or coming from the engine, to the speed control unit and then thru the firewall, going under the dash. So I start poking around the engine looking for vacuum lines. Once I got the top of the air filter and big ass tube to the engine intake off and removed the big plastic engine cover, I find there is a big vacuum distribution box, right in front of the air intake that I removed the big tube from. So one of the plastic vacuum lines goes to the left side of the engine bay connecting to what I'm guessing is the speed control unit. Connected to this thing is another vacuum line that goes thru the firewall. All I did was jiggle and move some stuff around trying to check connections and naturally I don't find anything wrong since this truck has less than 60,000 mi on it, but guess what now the cruise comes on and works. I'll see how long it lasts and when I get more time I'm gonna get some silicone adhesive to wipe around the connections to seal them up better. Hope this helps YouAll! It's at least something to look at and fiddle with.

14Ramcc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ED
SOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spoke to soon, it worked this morning but after work it was gone, Haaaaaaa why this truck gotta freakin do this **** right after the bumper to bumper warranty goes out, I called the dealer just awhile ago and hell they said it would cost $105 to just run diagnostics on it, wtf

Mine does not work all them time but it does not throw any codes either. A workaround that I use is to push the - gear selector button and then the + gear selector button. When I do that the cruise control button works. I assume that is what you are talking about when it quits working.

Roscoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure the parking brake is all the way up. I had trouble with my CC only working sometimes. A friend told me to check this and sure enough, it worked. It wasn't showing the brake was on, so I didn't think about it. I haven't had any problems since I popped it out all the way.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 1500 that has this problem. Bringing it in on monday. Does anyone know where the control module/switch is for this?

CatDaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine would not come on Friday afternoon. Pushed the button harder after I got mad at it and it works fine. Switches are probably in my near future.

joedodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 & 2012
Engine
360 and Hemi 5.7
2012 Dodge 1500, cruise problem

The cruise on mine has done the same thing. Doing 70-75 it wont come on. Very Intermittent. Slowing down to 45 coming off the freeway it decided to start working. This is the second time this has happened to me.

1) where is this switch you are talking about replacing?

2) where is this wheel clock spring?

Maybe its the one side of the switch that i noticed i was pushing. will test further.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My does this to me on long trips-
It did it today on our way to so cal-
It seems to only **** off once I have broken 80mph - scenario" I get on it to pass cars- get up over 85-90... slide back into lane and get off the gas and the cruise just shuts off-
Once I pull the truck over - shut it off - turn it back on its fine- really starting to **** me off

Gorena

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turn on Reset Cruise Control

Short answer: press the Gear- and Gear+ buttons simultaneously when not in any numbered gears. Then press cruise control.

Long answer: the stupid design with buttons at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the front and back of the steering wheel allows you to accidentally hit buttons while you were driving all day long. It also seems to me, that it is not safe when you can't touch your steering wheel at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. (My 2nd complaint with the 1st being that the radio doesn't stay off. Comes on everytime I start the truck)). With the buttons on the steering wheel, I am turning my radio on/off, calling people by accident, Am/Fm, as I'm dring through the city. Hands-free is causing me to move my hands all over the place. [gripe sessions is over. Maybe Dodge will read this and fix it!]

When the cruise control doesn't respond, I have to press those two buttons simultaneously. See short answer above.

Last edited:

JasAB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Quad
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm having the same problem on my 2016. It started within a couple thousand miles from new. Dealer replaced the on/off button in the steering wheel and it was ok for a few months but it's doing it again intermittently. I haven't tried the gear selector switch -/+ buttons trick but I will. Another trick i found elsewhere on the net is to manipulate the tilt steering up and down but I haven't tried it. I will be taking it back to the dealer at some point.

joedodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 & 2012
Engine
360 and Hemi 5.7
so many problems

You think they would do a recall with us having so many problems. What happens if it turns on and speeds up, out of control ???

Bruce55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cruise not working

My cruise quit working so I took it in. They ran the diagnostic and said it was the switch. Ok. Replace it. 1 week later doing same thing. I did disconnect batteries and started working again. The stopped again. POS. Called the dealer and they said they would have to plug into it again. And they would work with me. I said really. I just paid you guys 300 for a weeks worth of use and you want to work with me. Bs. Waiting to take it in again and make them fix it right

jbnimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4 4.10
I had this happen on a recent (1300m) trip to FL. The cruise control would shut down and appear to be inoperative. This seems to happen if to many Set / Resume push buttons are occurring. The following reset procedure is from the owners manual and it restored the cruise control. From OM "The Electronic Speed Control System can be reactivated by pushing the Electronic Speed Control ON/OFF button and resetting the desired vehicle set speed." You can do this while parked with the ignition ON. Be sure to hold the ON/OFF pressed while toggling the SET button. No problems since then.

Drrog1964

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was having the same issue with the cruise control. I tried pushing the res and on buttons at the same time. On it has worked twice. Now see how long it will last.
So something you to try for now.

Drrog1964

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Try pushing the res and on buttons at the same time. So far has worked for me.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Mine has been giving me problems for months now. I usually push the buttons in a counterclockwise pattern starting at the top left button and when I get back to the on button it works. I bought a replacement switch but I'm reluctant to put it in. The air bag has to come out and I am concerned about removing it. I might just pay to have it done.

Garry71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cruise fail twice on are 2015, 2500. Under warranty deeper repaired.

jled

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had this happen on a recent (1300m) trip to FL. The cruise control would shut down and appear to be inoperative. This seems to happen if to many Set / Resume push buttons are occurring. The following reset procedure is from the owners manual and it restored the cruise control. From OM "The Electronic Speed Control System can be reactivated by pushing the Electronic Speed Control ON/OFF button and resetting the desired vehicle set speed." You can do this while parked with the ignition ON. Be sure to hold the ON/OFF pressed while toggling the SET button. No problems since then.

^ THIS!!! Thank YOU for the solution

sublime154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963