cruise control stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walker111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^ THIS!!! Thank YOU for the solution
I had this happen on a recent (1300m) trip to FL. The cruise control would shut down and appear to be inoperative. This seems to happen if to many Set / Resume push buttons are occurring. The following reset procedure is from the owners manual and it restored the cruise control. From OM "The Electronic Speed Control System can be reactivated by pushing the Electronic Speed Control ON/OFF button and resetting the desired vehicle set speed." You can do this while parked with the ignition ON. Be sure to hold the ON/OFF pressed while toggling the SET button. No problems since then.

Can you elaborate on this? My 16 2500 CTD is not included on the recall but I'm having issues with my CC. I can turn it on and off with no problems, but randomly when I set it, it doesn't hold the set speed, the set speed will show on the cluster, it just doesn't hold it. Turning it off then back on will resolve the issue. This happens just about everytime I drive it. My buttons seem to work just fine, it almost seems mechanical that it wont hold the speed. Again, turning it off then back on, it functions normally. It doesn't set the Check engine light off but P0585 and P0591 are stored.

Kevin B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have had an issue with my cruise for the past 2 weeks (WONT POWER ON WITH BUTTON ON STEERING WHEEL). Checked the F82 fuse 10 amp. No issues. Checked connections no issues. On day on the road I discovered if you push both the set button and the power button at the same time you can disable or re-enable the cruise control. Dont know if this is normal or a freak find. My cruise just stopped working for an unknown reason. Prior to the failure I used the cruise often. Truck has 40000 miles on it.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had an issue with my cruise for the past 2 weeks (WONT POWER ON WITH BUTTON ON STEERING WHEEL). Checked the F82 fuse 10 amp. No issues. Checked connections no issues. On day on the road I discovered if you push both the set button and the power button at the same time you can disable or re-enable the cruise control. Dont know if this is normal or a freak find. My cruise just stopped working for an unknown reason. Prior to the failure I used the cruise often. Truck has 40000 miles on it.

This might sound funny, but in all seriousness it just might work for you... it did for me.

Flick the button. Like with your fingernail, give it a nice swift flick. Then see if it works, and report back :)

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Recently started having intermittent/non-op issues with cruise control like others have reported, tried pressing on-off button and the plus/minus buttons at the same time and was able to re-activate the cruise control. Thanks to those who posted up the re-set instructions!

gearheadjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in the same boat, i went to JUST ANSWER and talked to a real knowledgeable guy. here is our conversation. In our phone call which is not recorded he informed me that the CC switch wiring is bused over to the command center switch which in turn is bused to the clock spring. those part numbers are (68163712AA, wiring between swiches)(56046375AB, Command center switch)(56046094AF Cruise control switch). He said in different instances he has seen one of those three fail. Pretty wordy but hope it helps

05 January 2019 04:51

My cruise control is not working no light no nothing. i took it to the deal who said it was the clock spring, when that didn't fix it they said it was the cc switch, that didn't fix it either. my scan tool showed a code for p1593. what is the procedure to get my cruise going. 2012 6.7 ... view full
05 January 2019 04:54

(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.

05 January 2019 04:54

Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

05 January 2019 05:00

Dodge Mechanic
Hello my name is Chris and I will assist you today. I am a shop foreman at a shop foreman at a Ram dealer and have seen the wiring in the steering wheel cause this OR the steering wheel control switch on the left side cause it. The CC switch goes through that left switch. Maybe ask the dealer to check those 2 items. If you wish, I can send you the diagnostic procedure for the P1593. Let me know.

Chris

Premium Service Offer: Phone Call
Learn More
We can talk live on the phone to make it easier to get all the help you need.
Amount: $26
Connect with the Expert 24/7
By clicking “Accept this Offer,” the refundable amount above will be processed and the Expert will be credited for the original question and service.

05 January 2019 05:08

if you could send the diag procedure for it that would be awesome

05 January 2019 05:25

the last 8 of the vin cg284140

05 January 2019 05:40

Dodge Mechanic
Thanks Joe! Good talking to you tonight! The switch part number is 56046375AB and the steering wheel wiring is 68163712AA. I hope this helps, and thanks again for using just answer tonight. I will keep this session open for a few days just in case you have any follow up questions.

Chris

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you are satisfied, please rate me. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic, request me again.

05 January 2019 07:39

Hey chris i did think of another question regarding the wiring between the clock spring and the ECM. i would like to know what the color coding is for the CC wires going through the firewall. no rush on a reply, i will be offline until monday afternoon. Again thanks for your help, and good talking to you also.
Joe

DanJo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Has anybody had an issue with turning on there cc mine stopped working yesterday, figures after my warranty was just up
In my case, the VSS, attached to the transfer case of my '92 Dodge Cummins truck, was about to fall off; its retention nut was "hanging on by a thread." Tightened it up and my multi-year cruise control problems disappeared.