Cruise Control Won't Turn On - Random

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sometimes cruise control turns on no problem... other times it won't turn on no matter how many times I hit the button. ****** me off. I've had more problems with this truck than my last 3 combined (and they were GM and Ford products).

Anyone know what causes this issue? Video Link Below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu7u7btj825p6cc/IMG_0354.MOV?dl=0

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I belive some say it is the buttons-
I have had my CC turn off - mine usually does it when I have it set and jump up to 85mph plus to pass, mine won't turn back on till I pull over and turn the truck off.. if I'm on long stretches of hwy I will usually pull over shut it off and fire it right back up and it works fine after that.

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed that the other day my cruise control button was not working also. I had to really press it to get it to turn on. Then it worked like normal. Also happened again today.

Trog73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have had intermittent problems with both my on/off and cancel buttons not responding. Apparently, it's not just me. Thought about mentioning it to the dealer; not so much for an immediate repair (since intermittent problems NEVER occur at the dealership), but just to get it documented for when it totally craps out.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the 3rd gens it was usually believed to be the ABS sensor, or a faulty brake light switch. Not sure if that will help you fellas or not. mine was in fact an ABS wire.

jbnimble

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4 4.10
I have the same problem. The CC sometimes disables itself. To restore hold the CC on/off depressed and then toogle the Set switch. This usally reactivates the CC.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Push that **** like you mean it. I had that problem for awhile when I got my ram, then I pushed it hard, and its worked ever since.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I said - Most have had the buttons replaced and it solved the issue - I would try that first.

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My 14 had hella problems with cc the dealer replaced button twice, did flashes, always came back it drove me crazy one of the main reasons why I traded it in I drive an hour to work so I needed my cc

OP
OP
B

BigDogKona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 14 had hella problems with cc the dealer replaced button twice, did flashes, always came back it drove me crazy one of the main reasons why I traded it in I drive an hour to work so I needed my cc

I'm thinking the problem is the canbus system in the steering column. Mine makes a very faint noise when turning the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hemi1282

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Might be, hell I was thinking maybe my tpms had something to do with it cause if I remember right it started after I installed aftermarket wheels and tires I know thers a thread out there from me raging about it for about a month or so lol it drove me knutts, dunno though no problems with my 16 yet woohoo!

moonshinexxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Have had intermittent problems with both my on/off and cancel buttons not responding. Apparently, it's not just me. Thought about mentioning it to the dealer; not so much for an immediate repair (since intermittent problems NEVER occur at the dealership), but just to get it documented for when it totally craps out.

Mine cuts up from time to time as well. Figured I wasn't the one! And like Trog73, it's definitely worth mentioning the problem to the dealer at the next oil change so it can be documented!

tdeperte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My cruise control would not turn on last week. Pressed the on/off button, nothing. I gave the steering wheel two wacks with my palm near the switches and the cruise has worked ever since. :waytogo:

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
mine just started doing this on my trip this weekend. 27,000 miles and 2 years in and the door locks will occasionally lock when ever it wants to and the cruise won't turn on occasionally. I pushed the trim bezel around the buttons as if I was trying to re-seat it, assuming it may be a contact issue and now it works perfectly. now, gotta figure out why the automatic door locks won't auto lock here and there. maybe a weakening battery?

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My cruise control would not turn on last week. Pressed the on/off button, nothing. I gave the steering wheel two wacks with my palm near the switches and the cruise has worked ever since. :waytogo:
Worked for me as well.

marks146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Sometimes cruise control turns on no problem... other times it won't turn on no matter how many times I hit the button. ****** me off. I've had more problems with this truck than my last 3 combined (and they were GM and Ford products).

An old problem resolved.

I had some recall work performed so the truck was going to be at the stealers anyway so I picked up a new cruse control switch online and had them put it in, to the tune of $102 for labor. I had every intention of doing the install myself until I saw how to remove the airbag. That turned me off as I didn't want to detonate the bag into my ugly ****.

Now the cruse switch works perfectly. They MUST have had a bad run of switches and a few hundred of us got them. Probably not enough of us had problems or complained to create a technical service bulletin or trigger a recall.

So to recap this ancient thread, order a new switch and put it in. Your problems WILL be gone.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That bad run o' switches must've crept into the '16 MY as I had to have mine replaced (under warranty) at 30K or so miles. Also had the rear camera replaced at the same time...weird that both went south at the same time. Oh, well, at least I didn't have to pay for 'em!

Glad to see you got it fixed!

TXCOMT

autumnwalker

Reaction score
My MY15 has started doing this as well after the third gauge cluster replacement. Dealer said it's common and they replace the buttons "all the time". I'd say it's more wide spread than a "few hundred" bad switches.

HockeyPops

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Happened to me and I hit the side of the stealing wheel with my palm. It never happened again