Cummins contract

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capsfloyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2017 supposed to be the last year for cummins. Does anyone know which diesel they will use?

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Conjecture. Over the last 20 yrs I've read then numerous times.

However, if they choose not to continue with Cummins, FIAT has an IVECO 6.7l that is very similar to the cummins 6.7l. IIRC, cummins helped them with it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That is a rumor that goes around ever few years. The contact between RAM and Cummins is tight lipped so you never know but it would be short term suicide if they did drop Cummins.

No doubt. The main reason why I went with Ram was the Cummins. If the Cummins wasn't offered, then I would have went with a different brand.

And yes, this rumor keeps floating around through the years. Kind of like the "Ford owns Cummins" myth.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Tend to agree that RAM will take a hit dropping the Cummins engine. Not so much for the engine itself but the branding tie in RAM makes with the Cummins name.

Ford was smart in the sense to not overtly advertise their "Powerstroke" engines were made by IH and had less fanfare when they dropped IH for quality issues and went in house on their current Powerstroke engines. RAM would have a more difficult transition if they did the same with Cummins IMHO.

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
The Cummins is the only reason I bought a Ram too.

440hsp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Same here. Main reason why i went with my 2500. Cummins all the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
100% agree with the sentiment here......how many times have we all heard "I wanted a Cummins and the Dodge/Ram just came with it".......

goodguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
A) I'd have to say that Ram is definitely the best looking truck brand.

B) Rumor has it Cummins is out because Ram elected to put the ecoDiesel in the 1500 vs the Cummins that Nissan now has in the Titan. That prompted Cummins to not renew their contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
B) Rumor has it Cummins is out because Ram elected to put the ecoDiesel in the 1500 vs the Cummins that Nissan now has in the Titan. That prompted Cummins to not renew their contract.

I used to work at Cummins and still have some contacts there. They are saying that this is just a rumor, and as others have said, it has been going around for years.

Rumors like these are the reasons why I do not like false or misleading information posted in forums. Once it gets posted and isn't corrected, then you have a domino effect. The guy who reads it goes out and tell his buddies. They go out and tell their buddies. Before you know it the whole world believes that Cummins is owned by Ford. Don't always believe what you here and verify that where you are getting your info is getting their info from a reputable source. Countless people just post what they want to be true instead of what is actually true, and we all have the ability to be wrong at times.

goodguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I used to work at Cummins and still have some contacts there. They are saying that this is just a rumor, and as others have said, it has been going around for years.

Rumors like these are the reasons why I do not like false or misleading information posted in forums. Once it gets posted and isn't corrected, then you have a domino effect. The guy who reads it goes out and tell his buddies. They go out and tell their buddies. Before you know it the whole world believes that Cummins is owned by Ford. Don't always believe what you here and verify that where you are getting your info is getting their info from a reputable source. Countless people just post what they want to be true instead of what is actually true, and we all have the ability to be wrong at times.

Rumors are called rumors for a reason. Thanks for clarifying what actually going on. Assuming you're right.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Rumors are called rumors for a reason. Thanks for clarifying what actually going on. Assuming you're right.

The second part of that was intended as a general statement about all rumors and wasn't a stab at your comment. When I said you, I meant people in general. Sorry, I should have clarified.

goodguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
The second part of that was intended as a general statement about all rumors and wasn't a stab at your comment. When I said you, I meant people in general. Sorry, I should have clarified.

Oh I didn't think it was a stab anyways. Glad someone finally attempted to clear this topic up.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
These types of rumors will never go away - people hear what they want to hear and love to hear bad news.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
FWIW, some of the "insiders" on Allpar also confirmed that Ram would be staying with Cummins for the their HD trucks. If you read the Mopar News and Rumors forum it's in the Engine Rumor Roundup post. They share a lot of good info on that site.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
JMO

But iv always thought that any HD truck would sell like hotcakes if they put a CAT or a Detroit diesel in it.

I prefer DD myself

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
JMO

But iv always thought that any HD truck would sell like hotcakes if they put a CAT or a Detroit diesel in it.

I prefer DD myself

Well, 3208 was not so good, and the 3116/3126 was so-so according to owners I have known. Maybe one of the Perkapillars? The DD 6.2/6.5 were not so great, and the 8.2 was crap. I guess if they developed something from scratch.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Well, 3208 was not so good, and the 3116/3126 was so-so according to owners I have known. Maybe one of the Perkapillars? The DD 6.2/6.5 were not so great, and the 8.2 was crap. I guess if they developed something from scratch.

Yeah, if someone thinks Cummins had issues with emission. Cat's emission problems were so bad they exited the market and Detroit Diesel currently can't keep trucks on the road without some sort of check engine light coming on. If the DD15 did run, it was gutless in comparison to the ISX.