Cummins contract

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Yeah, if someone thinks Cummins had issues with emission. Cat's emission problems were so bad they exited the market and Detroit Diesel currently can't keep trucks on the road without some sort of check engine light coming on. If the DD15 did run, it was gutless in comparison to the ISX.

It's sorta odd with the 60 Series, I've known guys that had excellent luck, but then, for instance, my BIL drove a 10-wheeler for a guy and they had multiple catastrophic failures with a 60 Series. And my BIL is a careful driver who knows how to take care of equipment.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I did not know this about the DD's. i only know a little about the old old ones. like the cool as **** 2 stroke they had.

but yes, I meant that they would need to develop a completely new one.

JMO.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

B) Rumor has it Cummins is out because Ram elected to put the ecoDiesel in the 1500 vs the Cummins that Nissan now has in the Titan. That prompted Cummins to not renew their contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That last part absolutely makes no business sense and is a ******** statement. No supplier worth their salt would not renew any contract if there was money to be made. In the FCA/Cummins relationship, FCA is driving the boat here and would be their decision to not renew, not Cummins.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
my brothers uncles sisters ex bf said cummins was pissed off so they done said the hell with em

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A) I'd have to say that Ram is definitely the best looking truck brand.

B) Rumor has it Cummins is out because Ram elected to put the ecoDiesel in the 1500 vs the Cummins that Nissan now has in the Titan. That prompted Cummins to not renew their contract.

Cummins offered the 5.0l that is now in the Nissan to Ram to use in the 1500 but Ram declined on the grounds that it wasn't efficient enough.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Follow the money - when a contract of any kind comes up for renewal both sides are trying to get the most in the next go around. This is a fluid situation and both sides are likely playing the market to see what they are worth.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone on the Cummins sales team was copying threads just like this to use as negotiating power with Ram. Engine branding is a valuable thing these days.

I know I'd rather drive a Yugo than the diesels that have been going in Fords for the last 10-15 years. To be fair, the Ford 6.7 of the last 5 years or so is looking to be okay. The 6.0 and 6.4 Fords were total disasters.

The Chevy/GMC Duramax/Alison combo has proven to be pretty good and likely has the most to gain Ram loses Cummins. Most blue oval lemmings are pretty much un-phased by bad products so they never left Ford in the first place.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know I'd rather drive a Yugo than the diesels that have been going in Fords for the last 10-15 years. To be fair, the Ford 6.7 of the last 5 years or so is looking to be okay. The 6.0 and 6.4 Fords were total disasters.

The Chevy/GMC Duramax/Alison combo has proven to be pretty good and likely has the most to gain Ram loses Cummins. Most blue oval lemmings are pretty much un-phased by bad products so they never left Ford in the first place.

Bingo, this is exactly why RAM can't take a change switching from Cummins (which is just a reoccurring rumor anyways). With GM and Ford getting a stable diesel power source, RAM can't take a chance introducing a new diesel engine source which, as we well know, will be problematic the first few years, who wants to go through that again, no one.

From my readings over the past few years, the number one reason folks cite when asked why they bought the RAM/Cummins combo was reliability, this includes me too. I didn't want to spend my traveling time in dealer service bays.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Bingo, this is exactly why RAM can't take a change switching from Cummins (which is just a reoccurring rumor anyways). With GM and Ford getting a stable diesel power source, RAM can't take a chance introducing a new diesel engine source which, as we well know, will be problematic the first few years, who wants to go through that again, no one.

From my readings over the past few years, the number one reason folks cite when asked why they bought the RAM/Cummins combo was reliability, this includes me too. I didn't want to spend my traveling time in dealer service bays.

Not to mention how many people drive a Ram specifically for the Cummins. And to your point why would Ram go from arguably #1 in the diesel desirability category to #3 overnight by dropping Cummins, would make little sense from a consumer perspective.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Not to mention how many people drive a Ram specifically for the Cummins. And to your point why would Ram go from arguably #1 in the diesel desirability category to #3 overnight by dropping Cummins, would make little sense from a consumer perspective.

very true, just as much sense as the Ford and International's divorce. dont know the details but they should have tried to work things out.....and bring back something related to the 7.3. that would have been a big competitor to the cummins if they did. they had a good thing going for a while.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
very true, just as much sense as the Ford and International's divorce. dont know the details but they should have tried to work things out.....and bring back something related to the 7.3. that would have been a big competitor to the cummins if they did. they had a good thing going for a while.

Ford and International's divorce was actually considered a good thing by most Ford owners that I know after the 6.0L and 6.4L issues. The 7.3L was dumped due to emissions, so was the 6.0L and 6.4L. There is not way the HUEI pump diesels like the 7.3L would meet today's emissions. You would not be able to get the pressure high enough. Not only that, but you would also not be able to get the power numbers and fuel economy of a common rail either.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ford and International's divorce was actually considered a good thing by most Ford owners that I know after the 6.0L and 6.4L issues. The 7.3L was dumped due to emissions, so was the 6.0L and 6.4L. There is not way the HUEI pump diesels like the 7.3L would meet today's emissions. You would not be able to get the pressure high enough. Not only that, but you would also not be able to get the power numbers and fuel economy of a common rail either.

related, not identical. and your right, they did **** up the 6.0 and the 6.4 but they could have been fixed if they would have tried.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Having been the victim of two 6.9's, any divorce from Navijunk is a good one.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
related, not identical. and your right, they did **** up the 6.0 and the 6.4 but they could have been fixed if they would have tried.

The 6.4 actually wasn't a bad motor. It's biggest problems are emissions related and dirty fuel. The motor itself is actually very stout.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
WELL ****.

looks like I dont know as much as i though about diesel's. :) thats ok. I dont research them at all

good thing is,

I can admit my fault with my head held high :favorites13:

because I have a 6.4 HEMI LOL!!

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
The high volume high pressure fuel pump and piezo injectors used on the 6.4L was the reason why it was able to create such massive power with just a tune, but the system was also sensitive to contamination which many blamed on bad fuel. You could run the same fuel through the Cummins 5.9L/6.7L CP3 and solenoid injectors without nearly the same issues. To me, and many others, this is a flaw in a engines design since engine reliability should be the first and fore most concern over big power.

One could say that any diesel motor itself is very stout, but without fuel, a diesel engine is just an over-sized paper weight.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The high volume high pressure fuel pump and piezo injectors used on the 6.4L was the reason why it was able to create such massive power with just a tune, but the system was also sensitive to contamination which many blamed on bad fuel. You could run the same fuel through the Cummins 5.9L/6.7L CP3 and solenoid injectors without nearly the same issues. To me, and many others, this is a flaw in a engines design since engine reliability should be the first and fore most concern over big power.

One could say that any diesel motor itself is very stout, but without fuel, a diesel engine is just an over-sized paper weight.

And it is asinine to require a consumer to pay to install an additional aftermarket filter system to enable the 6.4L to digest the same fuel its competitors were able to deal with out of the box.

All the modded 6.4s I have encountered had significant work done on the fueling, first added filtration then added capacity....sure they will make huge power but if you are in a rural area where some questionable diesel may be encountered......bad mojo.....

Not to mention the 6.4L PSD is a pain in the **** to work on......

Last edited:

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 6.4 actually wasn't a bad motor. It's biggest problems are emissions related and dirty fuel. The motor itself is actually very stout.

Agree, my brother has a 2010 with the 6.4 in it. he has 175k on it and the only thing we have done is replace the top radiator hose due to it having a slow leak. he maintains is great, it is a very stout motor. but it is a pain to work on under the hood, really congested with the dual turbos and what nots.

Luke

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I agree with this. It's like it was designed in a perfect world that has perfect fuel, which isn't realistic. They say if any water gets to the hpfp you have a 10k repair coming your way. I sure as hell wouldn't want to deal with that.