decisions decisions...which would you choose (Uconnect 3.0 or 5.0)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjamin247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Going to the dealership this weekend to check out two trucks: one has the off-road package with radio Uconnect 3.0, the other does not have the off-road package but has radio Uconnect 5.0.

Is the Uconnect 5.0 that much more different than 3.0? Can I just upgrade to an aftermarket radio that supports the backup camera (both trucks have backup cameras)?

stembridge

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
My truck had the base "dumb" radio when I bought it, which I replaced with a Pioneer SPH-DA120 AppRadio 4 (which is CarPlay compatible). I did the install myself, which took several evenings and about a foot of solder (there were a *lot* of wires to connect). Works a treat, and I can either use bluetooth streaming for my tunes and handsfree calling, or if I plug my iPhone in, I get the same plus Maps navigation and noticeably better audio quality since it's wired. I was able to tap the video feed from the tailgate camera so it shows up both on my rear view as well as on the head unit (much larger, which my old eyes appreciate).

es

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you are moderately handy, get the Offroad package truck.

I swapped out my Uconnect 3.0 for an 8.4 Nav touchscreen. Had to reroute the backup camera wiring from the rear view mirror to the back of the head unit, then swap in steering wheel radio controls. Other than that it was plug and play because my truck has sirius radio (its antenna also functions as GPS).

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
3.0 vs 5.0 should not be a factor. You can easily go from a 3.0 to a 5.0 with an hour or two and less than $500 in parts. If you otherwise prefer the 3.0 truck and the numbers work too, buy it.

There's a good chance you may want to go to an 8.4 after anyway.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Going to the dealership this weekend to check out two trucks: one has the off-road package with radio Uconnect 3.0, the other does not have the off-road package but has radio Uconnect 5.0.

Is the Uconnect 5.0 that much more different than 3.0? Can I just upgrade to an aftermarket radio that supports the backup camera (both trucks have backup cameras)?

Just make sure the truck you get can't be hooked up to the internet and you wont be hacked EVER.

That and get the 4x4 off road package it's awesome!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just make sure the truck you get can't be hooked up to the internet and you wont be hacked EVER.

That and get the 4x4 off road package it's awesome!
Just put on the tin foil hat and it can't happen.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My truck has the u connect 3.0 with Bluetooth for my phone. I actually really like it.

The 15 Silverado I had, had a 7" touch screen. .i thought it was cool at first, but after awhile i found it annoying. I found i looked at it too often, if i adjusted the volume, i had to wait till the volume bar went awsy so i could see the radio stations again, etc.

I guess I'm just an old school button pusher. Lol. So i don't desire any touch screen radio. I'm glad my tradesman does not have one personally. One less thing to go wrong too, and i know those screens are not cheap.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I wouldn't worry about the radio as much as does either have the 4.10 gears and the
anti-spin rear axle

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My truck has the u connect 3.0 with Bluetooth for my phone. I actually really like it.

The 15 Silverado I had, had a 7" touch screen. .i thought it was cool at first, but after awhile i found it annoying. I found i looked at it too often, if i adjusted the volume, i had to wait till the volume bar went awsy so i could see the radio stations again, etc.

I guess I'm just an old school button pusher. Lol. So i don't desire any touch screen radio. I'm glad my tradesman does not have one personally. One less thing to go wrong too, and i know those screens are not cheap.
Uconnect 3.0 doesn't have Bluetooth... Only the 5 and above do.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont base your purchase on these radios, They are both technically the same thing. Just the 5.0 you get to touch the screen and if equipped you get a backup camera that you mentioned but it's not that great.
My first truck came with the 3.0 and I eventually bought a 5.0 radio and installed it. It cost me $200 and it took me about 30mins and that's because I didn't know what I was doing.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dont base your purchase on these radios, They are both technically the same thing. Just the 5.0 you get to touch the screen and if equipped you get a backup camera that you mentioned but it's not that great.
My first truck came with the 3.0 and I eventually bought a 5.0 radio and installed it. It cost me $200 and it took me about 30mins and that's because I didn't know what I was doing.
You get Bluetooth too, so a mirror with a microphone, but that is easily installed.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Uconnect 3.0 doesn't have Bluetooth... Only the 5 and above do.

Incorrect. My 17 ram tradesman 2500 has the 3.0 uconnect.

It has Bluetooth capability and is currently paired to my Samsung galaxy J7.

I can make and receive calls with the u connect 3.0 no problem. I also have a usb drive full of music connected also. Works great. I don't need a touch screen, but that's just me.

This may have changed over the past year? I read this comment here earlier so i made sure the u connect 3.0 had Bluetooth before i bought the truck

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Incorrect. My 17 ram tradesman 2500 has the 3.0 uconnect.

It has Bluetooth capability and is currently paired to my Samsung galaxy J7.

I can make and receive calls with the u connect 3.0 no problem. I also have a usb drive full of music connected also. Works great. I don't need a touch screen, but that's just me.

This may have changed over the past year? I read this comment here earlier so i made sure the u connect 3.0 had Bluetooth before i bought the truck
Mine was a 2014 and it didn't have Bluetooth, I'm glad they added it though.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Mine was a 2014 and it didn't have Bluetooth, I'm glad they added it though.

Thanks, yes, me too, it's nice to have. That and the back up camera and rear sonar system

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Correct. As of 2017 (possibly 2016) there are now two 3.0 radios and one of them has Bluetooth.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have the 5.0 and it's nice, but have been reminded by several others that the more electronics the truck has, the more there is that can go wrong. My friend had the 8.4 u-connect in 2 different rams, and had issues with both of them. I don't know if that is a common problem with the truck's, or he just had bad luck, but either way he wasn't pleased. So far mine has been fine. Good luck either way.

HS-LD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have the 5.0 and it's nice, but have been reminded by several others that the more electronics the truck has, the more there is that can go wrong. My friend had the 8.4 u-connect in 2 different rams, and had issues with both of them. I don't know if that is a common problem with the truck's, or he just had bad luck, but either way he wasn't pleased. So far mine has been fine. Good luck either way.

I agree completely. The 5.0 is as high up the complexity ladder I want to climb!