**** Cepek's (two-ply high-tensile body cord)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I know there is a current tire thread but I wanted the point this out separately.

So, as always, I am researching tires and I really like the look of **** Cepek's Extreme Country tire but wasn't sure about their new " two-ply high-tensile body cord " that they use for the carcass, hence a 2 ply sidewall. At first I blew it off and said "no 2-ply sidewalls" (like the Duratrac), I only wanted 3 ply for the puncture resistance. the funny thing is, their "Fun Country" which is their A/T tire has Coopers new 3 ply sidewall.

NEW EXTREME COUNTRY MUD-TERRAIN TIRE | **** CEPEK TIRES AND WHEELS

well I got curious again and contacted them with this question.

"I have 2 questions regarding your "Fun Country" and "Extreme Country". I see you went with Coopers 3 ply sidewall with your A/T Fun country. That\'s a great sidewall. But im am confused as to why you put a 3 ply on an A/T tire and a 2 ply on a "Mud Tire". I see you have the 2 ply labeled as "two-ply high-tensile body cord". What exactly does this mean? are the cords the same diameter but made of stronger material. or are they the same cords just more tightly wove? or maybe bigger cords?

I have a HD 3500 SRW truck, so its kinda heavy. I love the extreme country tire buy not to happy about it being a 2 ply for when im "off road", and fear sidewall punctures.

how does this new 2 ply compare in puncture resistance to coopers 3 ply? is the 2 ply suitable for a heavy truck like mine when off road?"

Their answer was not as detailed as I was looking for but im sure they cant share much info without giving away their secrets sauce. LOL. Here is their answer, And I understand the reasoning behind it. just not much out their to test their clams on the sidewalls specifically.

"The 2 ply construction has the same factor as the 3 ply without adding more weight is why we did that with the mud tire, so the sidewall will still have more flex when airing down. The sidewall puncture is still very good on the mud tires."

BTW, can anyone really say without just guessing, what they mean by "factor". LOL

Last edited:

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't read the yellow text

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I can't read the yellow text

I see, on my PC the backround is black so you can see it well. On my phone the backround is gray. I have to fix it when i get home.

Shame on me.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Fixed. Sorry for the yellow

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can understand that for an offroad tire you would want more sidewall flex, and for their intended purpose I'm sure are great. I would think for a hd truck that hauls tons of weight at a time at 70 mph, like how I use mine, I would go with a three ply with less flex in the sidewall

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I can understand that for an offroad tire you would want more sidewall flex, and for their intended purpose I'm sure are great. I would think for a hd truck that hauls tons of weight at a time at 70 mph, like how I use mine, I would go with a three ply with less flex in the sidewall

very true. I would love to see how thick the sidewall is compared to the duratrac. a lot of guys with 3/4 and 1tons use those and they are paper thin walls.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I won't run anything other than GY MTR/K's for M/T tires. Side walls are damn near indestructible. I air them down to 12 psi for trail use, lots of rock climbing. Sure, you want some sidewall flex, but too much and you'll pop a bead. Been there, done that with too many other M/T tires.

This is for my '12 JK Rubicon, btw. It's a dedicated trail rig.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I won't run anything other than GY MTR/K's for M/T tires. Side walls are damn near indestructible. I air them down to 12 psi for trail use, lots of rock climbing. Sure, you want some sidewall flex, but too much and you'll pop a bead. Been there, done that with too many other M/T tires.

This is for my '12 JK Rubicon, btw. It's a dedicated trail rig.

I would love to have those.... they are just WAY to expensive in comparison to tires in the same size. and when mud tires are on 3/4 & 1 ton trucks the miles you get out of them per dollar you spend is a big deal, as they dont last very long.

https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productDetail/tireStandardFitment/90000023670

https://www.treaddepot.com/#!productDetail/tireStandardFitment/750032326