Did oil temp search

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred 2500 Ram Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings Diesel
I noticed the other day the oil temperature on my 2500 Ram 6.4L was at 221 degrees. The coolant was at 215. I had been plowing. I have 11,700 miles on the truck and considering water boils at 212 degrees I took it to the local Dodge dealer. They told the coolant thermostat is set at 225.

After I left the dealership I noticed 230 degree Oil temps, 235 Coolant temps, but runs fine. Seems awfully hot to me.

Is this normal to you truck owners?

Thanks, Fred

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have just over 17k miles. Once my truck is warmed up, I have noticed the coolant temperature stays above oil temp. But both temps are close to each other most of the time.

I saw 230 oil temp once while towing heavy in the hills during the summer in Texas. Coolant around 230 also.

I don't buy dealer saying truck has 225 Tstat.

I think its at 195. My coolant and oil temps are almost always around that number, always under 200 in the winter.

FWIW, My transmission temperature has never budged 180. It has been struggling to reach 160 while I've been in Toledo (and its been a mild winter)

OP
OP
F

Fred 2500 Ram Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings Diesel
Thanks for the reply. Ive never seen my transmission temp over 180 either. We are both under factory warranty so if they blow up I guess Dodge will have to go good to replace the engines.

I've only got 700 miles on the dealership oil change. I might have to trade after 3 years if I keep seeing these numbers.

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I noticed the other day the oil temperature on my 2500 Ram 6.4L was at 221 degrees. The coolant was at 215. I had been plowing. I have 11,700 miles on the truck and considering water boils at 212 degrees I took it to the local Dodge dealer. They told the coolant thermostat is set at 225.

After I left the dealership I noticed 230 degree Oil temps, 235 Coolant temps, but runs fine. Seems awfully hot to me.

Is this normal to you truck owners?

Thanks, Fred

Being that the coolant system is pressurized that raises the boiling point of the water. Also the addition of ethylene or propylene glycol raises the boiling point of the water also. Can't tell you what it boils at but it is higher than just water.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Being that the coolant system is pressurized that raises the boiling point of the water. Also the addition of ethylene or propylene glycol raises the boiling point of the water also. Can't tell you what it boils at but it is higher than just water.

You beat me to it. This is why it was so important to get a new radiator cap when the old one lost its ability to hold its rated pressure. I have seen countless people replace water pumps and thermostats when the culprit was a $10 radiator cap.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks for the reply. Ive never seen my transmission temp over 180 either. We are both under factory warranty so if they blow up I guess Dodge will have to go good to replace the engines.

I've only got 700 miles on the dealership oil change. I might have to trade after 3 years if I keep seeing these numbers.

No problem and good point. It's under warranty, so on their dime if it fails.

If it makes you feel any better, I also own a 2016 Jeep Wrangler and had a 2015 Ram 1500 5.7L. They both ran consistently hotter than my 6.4L by a good margin. They both did not have pressurized coolant reservoirs.

I've seen as high as 242 in the Wrangler (summer driving up a long grade) I think most manufactures today spec higher operating temperatures due to fuel economy and emissions requirements.

I believe our 2500s and heavier are somewhat exempt to these problems(no fuel economy numbers on the window sticker).

Overall, I have no major complaints about my truck. It has done everything I've asked of it pretty well. I have another post on here about an idle problem I've had. Please check it out. Thanks

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I have seen oil temp exceed coolant temp on a few occasions. In the low 200s. It just all depends. I'm not worried about it and you shouldn't worry either. As said, today's vehicles are designed to run hotter than years past. The 242 coolant temp would concern me a little but for brief periods it's probably ok also.

Last edited:

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
on my tradesman the coolant hovers around 212. i thought that was on the warm side, but after reading above posts, i gather it is not. cheers!

warwagon98xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 CCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my 2500 5.7 towing 10k two summers ago on the beckett mass. grade of i90 i saw 251 for eng oil temp. trans was 175 and i had my foot in it to see what it would do.