Disabeling MDS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hello ,

Is there a way to disable the mds on the rams? When i am towing with my Chevrolet i always run it in m5 so all 8 holes stay lit.

Is the Dodge the same way? If you run in manual mode (transmission) is mds disabled?

Thanks
G

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you select the highest gear, in my case 8, it prevents MDS from kicking in (2013 RAM 1500). I'm surprised you didn't try it before asking.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you select the highest gear, in my case 8, it prevents MDS from kicking in (2013 RAM 1500). I'm surprised you didn't try it before asking.

This. Either select the highest gear or get a tuner to disable it. Before I got a tune I always just used the gear select when I started the truck.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hi guys, i don't own a ram yet but am considering one, that's why i was wondering. I didn't try it on the test drive unfortunately.

How do you know mds is disabled? Is there an v4/v8 indicator or something?

Is it disabled automatically in tow/haul mode (in my Chevrolet it's not) thanks

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In the 6.4 2500s it is disabled in toe/haul and when you hit the gear selector. You can definitely feel when the truck goes to v4 and my truck has an "ECO" light that comes on when the most does. I'm not sure about the 1500s.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
MDS is disabled in manual mode on the HD's.

My truck does not have an MDS indicator and I believe the LD trucks with the 8 spd auto, 2014 and up, do.

You can permanently turn off MDS with a tuner and custom tune.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
MDS is disabled in manual mode on the HD's.

My truck does not have an MDS indicator and I believe the LD trucks with the 8 spd auto, 2014 and up, do.

You can permanently turn off MDS with a tuner and custom tune.

Thanks for this and the other replies guys. I appreciate it. Good to know it's similar to the Chevrolet then (mds disabled in manual mode).

I tow a 6k lb travel trailer with my Silverado and i really like the tow/haul mode on it. It extends the upshift and downshift points great. I'm sure the ram is similar.

Now i just need to go find and buy one. Lol. I've decided on the ram which will be the first new mopar product I've ever owned. I'm traditionally a ford/Chevy guy but when i test drove the ram i had to admit it was nice. I like the little innovative stuff dodge does like the rear crew cab in floor storage bins, the cut outs under the rear seat so stuff (or bins) don't slide around, etc.

I just hope it holds up for me. My brother had an 07 Dakota that needed an outer tie rod end and lower ball joint in under 60k miles. He had to sell that truck in 2013 (bought a 14 Silverado 1500) because the front subframe/body was all rotted out already.

I'm very perticular with my vehicle maintenance and washing the undercarriage real good throughout and very throughly at the end of winter, so hopefully i can make it live for awhile.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
When it came time to replace my 2003 Tahoe I went out looking and just for kicks I stopped at RAM dealer on the way home from looking at Fords. My first stop ever at a Chrysler dealership and I was impressed with the RAM. A few things on the RAM got my attention, heated steering wheel, ride and handling, exhaust tone, and the new eight-speed transmission, shifting was transparent. I also was impressed with the seating comfort, way ahead over Ford and GM. I know reasons are subjective but this is what got me into the RAM.

After sleeping on it I went with the RAM, big decision for me being GM all my life and I get GMS pricing. After 3 1/2 years and 51,000 miles, I've had pleasurable experiences with the truck. The down fall, everything has its pros and cons as you know, is dealership service, you may have to visit serval dealerships before you find a good one.

The pro, Chrysler offers lifetime bumper to bumper warranty at affordable costs if you buy the plan through an Internet dealer.

Last edited:

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've owned 4 Dodge pickups over the years. The '99 extended cab 4x4 with the 5.2L had almost 200K miles on it before I traded it and the only real weak areas were the intake manifold gasket and the front trackbar and bushings. Other than that, it ran good. I could have kept running it but I needed more cab space and, well, the Hemi's were out, ya know? :)

The next one was a 2007 MegaCab with the 5.7L Hemi. It was an awesome truck. At 140K we had an accident and it never ran right after that. Lots of sensor and computer issues, a definite thump in the drivetrain and leaks. So I traded it in. Besides, the 6.4L HEMIs had been introduced ya know? :)

But to your point, the 2007 Dakota and the 2007 Ram were NOT comparable vehicles, IMHO. And of course, corrosion can be stopped if you start right after you get the truck and undercoat it. Not an uncommon thing in states that use salt or other corrosive chemicals to clean roads of ice and snow. We don't use that stuff here so I've never had a corrosion problem on any of my Dodge trucks.

My point here is don't compare the Dakota with the Ram. You're just borrowing trouble you don't even have to worry about.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I've owned 4 Dodge pickups over the years. The '99 extended cab 4x4 with the 5.2L had almost 200K miles on it before I traded it and the only real weak areas were the intake manifold gasket and the front trackbar and bushings. Other than that, it ran good. I could have kept running it but I needed more cab space and, well, the Hemi's were out, ya know? :)

The next one was a 2007 MegaCab with the 5.7L Hemi. It was an awesome truck. At 140K we had an accident and it never ran right after that. Lots of sensor and computer issues, a definite thump in the drivetrain and leaks. So I traded it in. Besides, the 6.4L HEMIs had been introduced ya know? :)

But to your point, the 2007 Dakota and the 2007 Ram were NOT comparable vehicles, IMHO. And of course, corrosion can be stopped if you start right after you get the truck and undercoat it. Not an uncommon thing in states that use salt or other corrosive chemicals to clean roads of ice and snow. We don't use that stuff here so I've never had a corrosion problem on any of my Dodge trucks.

My point here is don't compare the Dakota with the Ram. You're just borrowing trouble you don't even have to worry about.

Hi MD, thanks for that. It does ease some of my apprehension. Besides for the front end issues and front end corrosion, i remember it being a good running truck.

When i bought my 15 Silverado in 15, i looked at a 1500 ram but didn't test drive it. I wish I would have. My Silverado is a good truck, but there are some things about it i don't like.

In 15 i also looked at a 2500 series ram, but didn't test drive it either. I loved that truck, but it didn't have a back up camera. I truly wanted a 2500 series truck with trailer tow mirrors, so I'm looking forward to getting a ram 3/4 ton with the trailer tow mirrors.

In looking at ford, Chevy and dodge 3/4 ton trucks and crawling around under all 3, the dodge is built just as heavy as the ford. The Chevy, while nice does not have as heavy axles, steering and suspension components, but that's just my opinion.

I'm looking forward to giving dodge a shot this time. I hope i can find one for the right price.

Thanks again
G

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I hope i can find one for the right price.

Many of us, myself included, used online volume dealers to find pricing and most of us could find a local dealer that would price match. Take a look at Dennis Dillon Chrysler Jeep Dodge, you can view their inventory online and see pricing. They show two costs, one is before any special factory incentives, for example, military, if you own Bobcat equipment, etc. Few would get the lowest, based on your market region you should see anywhere from 17 to 20 percent off MSRP plus local taxes, registration, etc.

If you can't find a local dealer, fly out to Bosie, Dillon will shuttle you to their dealership and enjoy your ride home in your new truck.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When it came time to replace my 2003 Tahoe I went out looking and just for kicks I stopped at RAM dealer on the way home from looking at Fords. My first stop ever at a Chrysler dealership and I was impressed with the RAM. A few things on the RAM got my attention, heated steering wheel, ride and handling, exhaust tone, and the new eight-speed transmission, shifting was transparent. I also was impressed with the seating comfort, way ahead over Ford and GM. I know reasons are subjective but this is what got me into the RAM.

After sleeping on it I went with the RAM, big decision for me being GM all my life and I get GMS pricing. After 3 1/2 years and 51,000 miles, I've had pleasurable experiences with the truck. The down fall, everything has its pros and cons as you know, is dealership service, you may have to visit serval dealerships before you find a good one.

The pro, Chrysler offers lifetime bumper to bumper warranty at affordable costs if you buy the plan through an Internet dealer.

I've ran through many dealers in the metro detroit area. I made the mistake and changed dealers because of a $400.00 savings(ironically on this truck too). Biggest mistake I have ever made. When it comes to warranty work, go to your TRUSTED dealer.

OP, not sure why you would want to disable MDS. It's rarely ever in unless your tooting along at a cruise speed... and at that point.. why not save the extra gas. :naughty:

DesertWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My personal opinion, I don't use my MDS in my 08 Powerwagon. I feel my fuel mileage is better with it off. Or at least consistent.

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My personal opinion, I don't use my MDS in my 08 Powerwagon. I feel my fuel mileage is better with it off. Or at least consistent.

So you just run in manual mode then?

OP
OP
GsRAM

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I've ran through many dealers in the metro detroit area. I made the mistake and changed dealers because of a $400.00 savings(ironically on this truck too). Biggest mistake I have ever made. When it comes to warranty work, go to your TRUSTED dealer.

OP, not sure why you would want to disable MDS. It's rarely ever in unless your tooting along at a cruise speed... and at that point.. why not save the extra gas. :naughty:

At least from what i have seen, If you watch the dash display anytime "eco" is displayed, the mds is active. I noticed that a lot when i was driving my truck on Friday. I think it's on more than you think

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 373 gears and when we take long trips mds Will activate, How ever I live at high altitude and am surrounded by mountains- Wish I had some 456 gears.