Discount Tire Refuses To Install Tires. WTF?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So I dropped by my local Discount Tire yesterday to get some pricing information for new tires and wheels. I'm heading up into the mountains of Tennessee this winter looking for some snow and I wanted a good all-terrain tire with a snowflake rating. As far as I've found, that's the Exo Grappler or the Falken Wild Peak AT3W. Exo Grapplers are $$$$$ so I thought I'd try the Wild Peaks. Asked DT for pricing in 305/65r18 and they flat out said no they won't install them because they don't conform with OE spec. For those of you that haven't looked, OE tires have a load index of 125, giving them a carrying capacity of 3638lbs per tire. The Wild Peaks have a load index of 124, giving the a carrying capacity of 3527lbs per tire. So, because the load index I asked for was less than OE, they wouldn't do it, even though the tires I asked for would still carry over 4000lbs more than my truck is legally rated to weigh.

On a side note, I called Tire Kingdom and they said if they can get the tire they have no issue installing it.

Anybody had similar experiences? What are your thoughts on tire places refusing to install tires that don't conform to OE spec even though they're still more than enough tire for the application?

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is the new trend. I am hearing this happening more and more. It is because they do not want to get sued.(Lawyers)
My son works in the tire center of Costco and they will not put ANY SIZE TIRE other than what is recommended for your vehicle. The sticker that is on your drivers door jam. He said they get into arguments with customers all the time and turn away business because of this.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never heard of them doing that, interesting.

vgoodson91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you dual rear wheel or single?

If dual, they will not install anything larger than factory size as far as I know due to fear of rear duals rubbing under load.

If single wheel, then I've never heard of such nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a similar issue with my Jeep SRT. I wanted 315's on the rear, they send they would mount the tire to the rim, but wouldn't install the rim on my Jeep. So I just brought both wheels to then and I took them off and put back on my Jeep in my garage.

fla crkr 1 ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 [360]
I have had the same issues here with a Walmart [just for pricing] they refused to do a quote because it was not the tires that were factory options sizes for my truck.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Liability issues.
I know it sucks but I understand them if something were to go wrong they the installers would be responsible if them installing that tire was to blame for.
I know Costco has it advertised one their website the they won't install certain tires not meant for the car/trucks

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am just starting to do the research on my 4" lift and what tire and wheel combo I am going to run. I wonder if I am going to have the same issue when I try to buy my tires. I hadn't heard of this until now. I will probably just buy them on line from The Tire Rack or some other online tire supplier.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had the same problem with Discount Tire until I reminded them I have a Power Wagon and it came with D rated, LI 124 tires from the factory. The irony was I was just having them mount a set of tires on rims and put them in the back of the truck. I wasn't even having them installed.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I do not deal with the "Box Tire Store". if its not in a book or spec they wont do it... they won't even touch my R/T cause is is so far beyond stock spec.

I use a shop that is part of a Tire Co-op and will do anything I ask. his main clients are Farm and Trucking but does auto also. have been using him for the past 10+ years. he has installed some crazy combos for me from 40's on a jeep to 35x12.5's on a dually and set it up with the spread kit so there was no rubbing.
Go find a small shop like this and you will forever be happy and not have to deal with the walmarts of the tire industry.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Let's not lose our minds here, Discount has treated me well over the years. In fact, last week I had the TPMS warning come on in my little car and took it into a random location. They noticed some abnormal wear on the tire so they replaced it for $11. The tires have 45K miles on them and I don't have a replacement warranty. It's true they are "by the book" but I doubt they just up and decided to screw over truck owners...they probably got sued one too many times for "helping a guy out".

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let's not lose our minds here, Discount has treated me well over the years. In fact, last week I had the TPMS warning come on in my little car and took it into a random location. They noticed some abnormal wear on the tire so they replaced it for $11. The tires have 45K miles on them and I don't have a replacement warranty. It's true they are "by the book" but I doubt they just up and decided to screw over truck owners...they probably got sued one too many times for "helping a guy out".

The store in my target is Les Schwab, but Discount Tire isn't far behind. Only dealings I have had with them is online trying to order wheels for vehicles. they tell me they wont fit and cant order them... funny how when I went somewhere else they fit.

But yes you are right, this will not be the case in all stores. Its manager and employee dependent. There is a Goodyear tire store that just opened up right next to my office, I used them to do a oil change for me cause I was too busy, dropped of the truck and oil not prob, they went through my truck and inspected everything no charge, alignment, filters, trans fluid, axle etc etc.... Talked to them about tires since I was there and its convenient and they said they will put on anything I want as long as it fit.
So some of those stores are good. its all about the people. He also gave me a 15% discount cause I'm a Firefighter.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just had Michelins installed today at a Discount Tire. I went with stock size and load, as I always do. I have heard of some shops not installing anything other than OEM, but I have never encountered it. This location had a lifted Durtymax outside with mudders on it. One was flat, and waiting for repair or replacement.

Just take off the wheels and bring them in. Say they are for a Ram Power Wagon.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Interesting update, I stopped by Tire Kingdom today to get pricing and they changed their tune from what I was told on the phone. They won't order the tires at all for me. Said they would install them if I brought them in but won't order. They explained that it was based on the fact the manufacturer wouldn't warranty the tire if it was under the OE load index. They also said the truck would wear them out really quickly. Not sure how much of that I believe but that's what they told me. Anybody had any experience regarding that aspect of their claim?

I may just have to see if I can find a small tire shop or go to my local 4 Wheel Parts and see what they say. Worst case, at least Exo Grapplers come in stock size and load index. Hard to swallow $1700 out the door just for tires though when I can do wheels and tires for just a bit more and save big money on tires the next time around.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Are you dual rear wheel or single?

If dual, they will not install anything larger than factory size as far as I know due to fear of rear duals rubbing under load.

If single wheel, then I've never heard of such nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Single rear wheel. No issue with rubbing here.

OP
OP
G

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Discount has treated me great over the years as well. That's why I started there. Just sucks they won't do what a paying customer is asking or have some sort of protocol for working around the corporate ********. I'd sign a waiver if I have to but doesn't seem like the chains will do anything out of the ordinary anymore.:wtg:

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I don't understand why they don't write up a "release from liability" for the customer to sign to protect themselves :mad3:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't understand why they don't write up a "release from liability" for the customer to sign to protect themselves :mad3:

Cause even with a release, Liars (lawyers) will still go after and win...

This is really a result of the idiots who cannot take responsibility for their own actions or lack of knowledge and always having to blame others. If these idiots didn't exist and people were of their word then it would be like the old days where you got customer service instead of cover your ass service

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Because some lawyer somewhere will still try to sue claiming the shop should have known better. So many people no longer hold themselves responsible for their own actions, and this is the result.

Agree, find a local shop and work with them even if it cost you an extra few dollars. At least you're helping the local community and hopefully dealing with an intelligent person, not a corporate policy.