Dual Stabilizers SUCK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey guys. My dual BDS stabilizers like to get banged alot like a dirty ho because they protrude forward and hang low. Also, they seem to put unnecessary stress on the steering box and make it work harder than it needs to. So, I decided to go back to single damper in stock location (behind the tie rod). My problem is that I no longer have the factory brackets (one for the tie rod and one for the front axle). Does anybody still have their factory brackets?

this is my current set up
14l7d7a.jpg

these are the two brackets Im looking for
wbe4bo.jpg

OP
OP
RAMYOU

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
the moral of the story - dual stabilizers is useless waste of money. I even tested driving w/o stabilizers at all trying to get that infamous death wabble. Im talking about high way speed pot hole hit with one wheel-nothing. it seems like as long as your steering components are tight and new, you dont even need steering stabilizers.

spiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Well you won't get the death wobble on the 2500 due to the solid axle, only the 1500. The dual stabilizers are there just to keep the steering tight which a steering brace will do more effectively

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well you won't get the death wobble on the 2500 due to the solid axle, only the 1500. The dual stabilizers are there just to keep the steering tight which a steering brace will do more effectively

Dodge 2500s and up are infamous for the death wobble, at least that's what people call it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge 2500s and up are infamous for the death wobble, at least that's what people call it.

Does it effect the 4th gen like the 3rd?

Almost all 4wd trucks can develop death wobble with worn parts and/or bad alignment

spiG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD

That's my mistake just realized I had it backwards as far as what truck it affects. Had to remember about the wifes JKU and how it affects them as well.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
yea I looked at that. carli high mount stabilizer fits up to 2012 models so its probably not going to fit mine. I looked around and found a dealer who would order those brackets for me so thats good.

The one I linked is for 2014+ 2500

The death wobble most 1500 owners refer to is not actually death wobble at all, only vibrations caused by CV angles in 4wd

4th gens do still get death wobble even with the upgraded steering over 3rd gens

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Any solid axle can death wobble. The older 5 link designs on the 2,3rd gen was just worse about it since it had more parts to wear out. The newer 3 link design helps, but it's not a cure. My mega has done it once with my boat trailer on the back.
All death wobble is is the front tires being bounced out of their gyro axis, that's why he only way to stop it is to slow down. (Y'all do remember holding a bike tire spinning to feel the gyro effect right? Lol) when one comes off and starts its side to side wobble, the ball joints in the tie rod ends give it enough movement to start fighting the other side. The. It starts getting out of hand.
The only way to stop death wobble is to use a drag link with solid heim joints so there is no side to side movement allowed between the tires. That's it... It's an unfortunate design flaw that we have to put up with.
Steering stabilizers don't do anything for DW. All they do is stress the steering box and make it harder/slower to steer. The only way a steering stabilizer would even help is if the shocks were mounted individually to each knuckle off the axle housing to dampen the effect of the out of axis wheel the same as it dampens the suspension.
The 4th gen trucks will do it, just wait for the tie rod ends to wear out and we'll all be complaining about it same as the older gens.
I absolutely hate that theses companies sell them touting the help/stop with death wobble. It's just a bandaid, but for the wrong problem!
Ok... I'm gonna go cool off now. Lol
Hope you find your brackets, but I'd recommend just tossing the whole thing. The steering will thank you. You dont see race trucks using them, we do t need them except to compensate for ****** designed suspension/steering.

OP
OP
RAMYOU

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Any solid axle can death wobble. The older 5 link designs on the 2,3rd gen was just worse about it since it had more parts to wear out. The newer 3 link design helps, but it's not a cure. My mega has done it once with my boat trailer on the back.
All death wobble is is the front tires being bounced out of their gyro axis, that's why he only way to stop it is to slow down. (Y'all do remember holding a bike tire spinning to feel the gyro effect right? Lol) when one comes off and starts its side to side wobble, the ball joints in the tie rod ends give it enough movement to start fighting the other side. The. It starts getting out of hand.
The only way to stop death wobble is to use a drag link with solid heim joints so there is no side to side movement allowed between the tires. That's it... It's an unfortunate design flaw that we have to put up with.
Steering stabilizers don't do anything for DW. All they do is stress the steering box and make it harder/slower to steer. The only way a steering stabilizer would even help is if the shocks were mounted individually to each knuckle off the axle housing to dampen the effect of the out of axis wheel the same as it dampens the suspension.
The 4th gen trucks will do it, just wait for the tie rod ends to wear out and we'll all be complaining about it same as the older gens.
I absolutely hate that theses companies sell them touting the help/stop with death wobble. It's just a bandaid, but for the wrong problem!
Ok... I'm gonna go cool off now. Lol
Hope you find your brackets, but I'd recommend just tossing the whole thing. The steering will thank you. You dont see race trucks using them, we do t need them except to compensate for ****** designed suspension/steering.

I took off the whole thing and its been driving great - a bit more road feel through the steering but I can just feel my steering box enjoying the easy work.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mag V10,Mag V8
I don't think a duel is a waste...my step-son '95 Dodge 4x4 rollin on wore out Swampers needed SOMTHING...so a Duel made it much better.(Way cheaper than a $1600 set of Swampers!!) :naughty:

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Steering dampers do very little if your suspension is set up correctly. I'm still running the stock damper, I'll change it when it starts to leak.

Broke pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thuren is just out to sell parts... Half of that is complete BS. Steering dampers do nothing but make the steering heavy, tires have nothing to do with it, and the track bar has very little to do with it. Granted, if you're suspension parts are worn out you are 10x more susceptible to get ting some death wobble. But mainly it's the ball joints and steering tie rod ends. Even IFS trucks can get it, but it's not as common.
The only TRUE fix for death wobble is a drag link with solid heim joints on the knuckles. If you don't let the tires fight each other when you knock one out of its gyro axis (you did read my first post above right?!? Lol) you can't get a death wobble. Period... The end.
I'm off my soap box again. Sorry, it's just frustrating to see people throw money at a problem that's so simple to solve.
Plus if the Big3 would build a quality suspension with correct geometry this wouldn't be as big an issue. But hey, we work with what we've got right?

Oh, and also, for those of you out there running those 20x12's and 20x14's with massive offsets... You boys are gonna be in for a world of fun when you get a DW! I see broken wheel bearings and spindles in Yall's future! The further away from the centerline of the ball joints the scrub radius gets, the more leverage your tires and wheels gyro force has. Good luck!

Last edited: