Edge and dealer visit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hey guys I have a 16 6.7 with a juice with attitude installed. I have to take my truck in to have the tpms sensors updated. First time having my truck in for service with the tuner. I called edge to see what I should dscnnect before dropping it off. They recommended completely removing the tuner and engine connections for the juice. This seems a bit exsessive. Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this?

Hemipowrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd take it out. Pretty sure that would void the warranty.

Sent from Mobile

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Most modern tire shops can replace/update TPMS sensors if that's the only issue.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I leave my pillar mounted Edge monitor in the truck when I take it to the dealer for oil changes and warranty repair. The only thing they requested was to return it to stock and unplug it from the OBD port or any other plug-ins because they don't want to be liable for any damage of the unit. Although my case is different since my dealer is cool with mods and I give them lots of business through work.

If your dealer is not cool with mods then I would unplug everything.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
if the dealer flashes your truck your screwed, so yea, take their advice and remove the tuner.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I've brought my fully tuned/deleted Cummins into the dealership a handful of times for warranty work with no issues at all. Not a single comment about the tuner being installed or the obviously lack of emissions equipment. If it's not a powertrain related issue they aren't going to care about it. If it is a powertrain related issue well, you don't have warranty anyway as they'll be able to tell it was installed. So you could face an argument there either way.
At most I'd uninstall it and unplug it from the OBDII port as stated above but definitely wouldn't go any further than that. And just make sure they right on your file not to flash the truck with any updates.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
if the dealer flashes your truck your screwed, so yea, take their advice and remove the tuner.

The EDGE JWA is an external module and is not a tuner that alters the ECM programming. It only intercepts fueling commands that the ECM sends to the injectors and changes the fuel amount and timing.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you leave it on the truck, and they decide to query the PCM and do any update flashes, it could wreak havoc with your modified PCM. Then you'd have to pay to restore it.

It's always a good idea remove such items before a dealer visit.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on the dealer- Just remove it to be safe.

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well I took it off prior to visiting, it's a real pita to have to deal with any time it needs service. The service guy gave me the official speech but under his breath pretty much said if it came down to it for warranty work they would have me put it back to stock before they did any work so they wouldn't have to report aftermarket parts to Chrysler. The intake that I put on was causing issues, he told me to put the stock one back on and see if that fixed the issue, if not bring it in with the stock intake installed so they could use my warranty. Seems pretty cool.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What intake do you have and what issues did it cause?

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It's an injen intake, it was weird, on a cold start like first time starting the truck for the day a message would come up telling me that the active air needed service see dealer. Any other time no message. No cel but there was a code.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
If you leave it on the truck, and they decide to query the PCM and do any update flashes, it could wreak havoc with your modified PCM. Then you'd have to pay to restore it..

The EDGE JWA does not modify the PCM.

hemiguy93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
i had the exact damn thing on my 15 diesel!! At 18,000 miles the planetary gears went out in my transmission. Edge wasn't claiming responsibility and Chrysler wouldn't even discuss covering it. Chrysler said I could continue the warranty if I paid for the replacement myself and removed the tuner. Cost me $7000 out of pocket!! Bought the edge in March this year and tranny went out in June. Idk if it was just bad luck or what. I was told it was safe to use and wouldn't void a warranty and it did both. Just get rid of the damn thing man, Ill show ya the paperwork if you want.

OP
OP
homebrew

homebrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have the manual trans, the clutch slips with the edge set on level 2. So I keep it on 0. I really only wanted it to recalibrate my speedo and to use as gauges. I'm going to save up for a new clutch before I do anything else to the truck.