Educate Me on LSD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Drugs are bad!!!!

Sorry couldn't resist

First thing that popped in my head, "Thank God, I made it out of the 70's!"

Sorry, OP.

agpilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Maybe I don't quite understand the function of a Limited Slip Dfferential (LSD) like I thought I did, but I ordered my 15 2500 4x4 with the 6.4 and LSD. I haven't done any off roading with it, but The other day I found myself turning a tight right hand turn off the road on to a very steep concrete driveway. Of course I was in 2-wheel drive on a dry surface, but as soon as the front started up the steep incline it lifted the right rear tire off the road and all forward movement stopped as the right rear wheel sat there spinning in mid air. No power transferred to the left rear wheel. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't the purpose of a LSD to transfer grip to the other side if traction is lost on one side?

I'd pull the build sheet for your truck and make sure you have the correct diff: www.ramtrucks.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=
(add your VIN after the = sign)

Most limited slip units will give some traction in that situation.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds broken or wasn't installed.
Jack up your rear differential and by hand spin one tire, transmission in neutral.
If you have a L/S the other wheel will spin the same direction. If not it will spin the opposite direction.

What?

The only time the other wheel will spin backwards is if it's in park. Otherwise the differential itself will just spin with the axles.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Actually he is correct.

Uhhhh, I can tell you for a fact I've done this on cars and they've both spun even though it's an open diff. It all depends on what has more resistance to turning, the pinion or the other axle.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
The 01 Rams did not come stock with a Detroit/Eaton True Trac. The Detroit/Eaton True Trac is a gear style LSD just like the new trucks. The 01 Rams came with a clutch style LSD.

IIRC, Ram went to the gear style LSD when they switched to using AAM axles instead of Dana axles in 2003 and up year models. Every year model with LSD before 2003 with the Dana 80 Trac Lok limited slip were clutch style LSDs.

Sorry. Trac-lok. As per the manual. Page 3-98 thru 3-102.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I know you think you are proving a point with all these videos but that is not always correct. The spinning tire theory only works on a vehicle with a clutch driven limited slip. The vehicle in question in the original post does not have that. It is gear driven. On a rack if you spin the tires it will act just like an open diff. It needs to be under load to lock up. You explained how a Torsen style lsd works in your first post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I know you think you are proving a point with all these videos but that is not always correct. The spinning tire theory only works on a vehicle with a clutch driven limited slip. The vehicle in question in the original post does not have that. It is gear driven. On a rack if you spin the tires it will act just like an open diff. It needs to be under load to lock up. You explained how a Torsen style lsd works in your first post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I don't think I proved my point, I know I did.