Emissions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2jdpop70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L cummins
I just purchased a 2015 ram 3500 an was wondering about the emissions on it. I previously had a 2005 2500 so never had to worry about it.
Will letting the truck idle for a long period of time do any harm with the emissions?
What are the nightmares I can look forward to with the emissions on this truck?Has anyone heard or had problems with the newer ram diesels? I've heard that previous years had some problems but it sounded like the bugs have been worked out by 2015. Any information at all would be helpful thanks!!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
personally ram is doing good on the diesel emissions. unfortunately we prolly have 4-5 more years before it is perfected. if u want that thing to run the way a diesel should.. and last the 500k it should.. then start gutting all the emissions. if u plan to only keep the truck for 3-7 years then just leave it alone and drive it. idle with out being under a load is fine, the truck will clean when it needs to. just keep up on the maintainece.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
2jdpop70, I would be a lot less worried about the new 2013+ emission systems than the 2007-2012. Due to not using an SCR and only an EGR, the 2007-2012 were prone to EGR failures, reduced fuel economy, more particulates clogging the DPFs.

Idling is not necessarily good for a DPF depending on how long it is and if there are periods of long highway running in between. If you are doing nothing but idling all day(and I mean all day) then yes you will shorten the life of the DPF filter just as it would cause harm to gasoline engine catalytic converters as well. If you are just idling for very long periods every now and then between normal driving then I would not be too worried.

Here is a post I made in a previous article about the emissions systems on these diesels that you might find informative.

The 6.7L EGR pitfalls is one of the reasons why I like the SCR system. What most don't know is the 6.7L Cummins is emissions compliant even without the SCR system so it doesn't need it(which is why it hasn't had an SCR from 2007-2012), and only needs the EGR and DPF to be compliant. The SCR system was used with the 6.7L in the 2013+ specifically because the EGR issues in the 2007-2012 engines and to lessen the amount of regens needed. Most people incorrectly think that the SCR and DEF is a bad thing when it is actually a good thing and those who had EGR issues in the 2007-2012 CTD should be praising the use of SCR.

The whole reason for either of these systems is to lower NOx to be compliant. The EGR introduces cooled exhaust gas, which has less oxygen, at combustion into the intake system which reduces the combustion temperature and lowers NOx production. The amount of exhaust gas introduced and when is controlled by the EGR valve. The lower combustion temperature makes the diesel engine less efficient and also creates more particulate matter so you essentially trade off less NOx for more fuel usage and soot production. Also, the engine is creating less power due to the lower combustion temperatures. The extra particulate matter or soot generated also clogs up DPFs even quicker.

The SCR basically injects urea into the exhaust turning the NOx into nitrogen and water vapor from the reaction with the catalyst thereby lowering NOx. With the SCR system, the EGR would not be needed as much or at all which allows the engine to operate at optimal combustion temperatures providing better fuel economy, more engine power, and less soot generation therefore less DPF regens. The downside to this system is that you have to buy DEF every 5,000 to 7,000 miles depending on your engine loads. These two systems working with each other reduces emissions even more and reduces the need operate the EGR at such extreme levels therefore reducing engine wear.

So again, those who were having EGR issues in the 2007-2012 CTD Rams should be praising the introduction of SCR, and not see it as a negative. I think most see it as a negative because they do not fully understand how it works and what it does so as we all know, people fear what is unknown to them.