Excited new Cummins owner wanting to delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

CUtigerfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Surely you understand that unlike gas engines diesels make their best numbers low in the rpm range. With my application I have 4 separate performance options with a simple twist of a button. I generally leave mine in the economy position unless I decide someone needs their doors blown off. Even with the economy setting the throttle is more responsive with light to medium pressure than WOT. I owned a supercharged Tundra that had power clear across the rpm range but again that was a gasser. If you're worried about the transmission you could always leave it in the economy mode.

I understand that a diesel accelerates completely different compared to a gas truck. I traded a 2014 Ram 1500 on this truck. I put a Vararam intake, moes ported throttle body and DS intune with a hemi fever tune on it. I was shocked by how much of a difference it made in the trucks willingness to go. It wasn't the fastest thing in the world pushing 35" MTs but it felt like every time I pushed the skinny pedal it optimized the potential that was there. That's all I'm looking for here is a little throttle response and hearing the turbo and exhaust sound like it's trying. I'm not interested in racing every sports car and douche in a truck with Flowmasters. My only gripe is I get a different response every time I ease into the pedal and ask the truck to go.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
One thing you could try is having the dealership flash the transmission. That transmission has learned how the previous owner drove. It might Perform differently if it is flashed and learns how you drive.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I would go the custom tune route like ST mentioned; spend the time data logging and working with the tuner. You either pay upfront and do it right and get something that makes you happy and is tailored to your truck and your needs and driving style or you end up paying to do it right after you frustrated yourself with canned tunes.

I would also install any bolt-ons etc. before you have your tunes done so they can really tailor how your rig is breathing and fueling. Working with a good tuner with the specific fuel map for your rig will usually avoid wasting fuel and power blowing black smoke all over the place like an 18 year old.

OP
OP
C

CUtigerfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing you could try is having the dealership flash the transmission. That transmission has learned how the previous owner drove. It might Perform differently if it is flashed and learns how you drive.

I'm taking it to a dealer tomorrow to have it serviced and everything inspected just for peace of mind. I'll ask them to make sure everything's updated.

OP
OP
C

CUtigerfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is the advantage of a custom tune versus a canned tune. The tuner customizes the tune to your liking. It may take a couple rounds of data logging to get it right, but he can tailor it to your liking. Ryan and Kory also calibrate the accelerator pedal to get rid of the dead pedal. A friend of mine has a mild 25 hp tunes from EFIBYRYAN and it is hands down better than my Edge and all the things I got in my signature. The transmission tuning alone makes a world of difference.

Are both trucks 13+ trucks with the DEF? How long has he been running that setup?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Are both trucks 13+ trucks with the DEF? How long has he been running that setup?

My truck is a 2014 and so is his. He bought his late 2013 though. I want to say he deleted it about the time I got mine truck October of 2014. I will have to ask him how many miles he has put on the truck since then and get back with you.

OP
OP
C

CUtigerfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is a 2014 and so is his. He bought his late 2013 though. I want to say he deleted it about the time I got mine truck October of 2014. I will have to ask him how many miles he has put on the truck since then and get back with you.

I'd really appreciated it. I want to delete but until I put some miles on this truck I want to keep the warranty intact. Someone else put 78k on it and I need to make sure everything is as it should be. I went ahead and bought a TS Stryker for half price on eBay. Apparently the seller took it off their truck to have it updated and never reinstalled it.

mesotall13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Try the edge juice with attitude and the bd throttle sensitivity booster. This make my truck a whole new animal!!! And in the event of warranty work it's all removable. I figure once I hit 50k I'll delete everything. But until then this is an awesome set up. Once your ready to build your transmission look into Randy's transmission from Utah for an amazing setup.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Try the edge juice with attitude and the bd throttle sensitivity booster. This make my truck a whole new animal!!! And in the event of warranty work it's all removable. I figure once I hit 50k I'll delete everything. But until then this is an awesome set up. Once your ready to build your transmission look into Randy's transmission from Utah for an amazing setup.

I have the EDGE JWA and BD Booster too. Just a slight press of the throttle with the EDGE on lvl 4 and throttle booster at 50% will put you back in your seat. While I agree with you that the truck is a different animal power wise, it still is the same old animal when it comes to the transmission.

This is where custom tunes like EFIbyRyan make a world of difference. The power is there(if not more) but the transmission shifts exactly how you want it to. There is a night and day difference when it comes to trans shift with my truck with the EDGE versus my friend that has the EFIbyRyan. My truck will up shift too soon putting you in 6th gear as low as 50 mph causing the truck to lug a bit when you go up hills. By buddy's truck will not shift into 6th unless you are going at least 61-62 mph when you are at 1,700 rpm. It also downshifts better keeping you in the right rpm if you need to get back on the throttle.

The other area that I loved was the cruise control work much better in his. If you set it at 65 mph then it stays there no matter even up hills. Mine will sometimes drop 2-4 mph from the speed I have it set at because the turbos are not responding quick enough, and then downshift using a little fuel to get back up to speed. The only way I can avoid this is to pre load the turbo with a little boost right before I start going up a hill.

There are some other differences too like much better throttle and quicker turbo spool, but these are the major ones that I noticed.

Last edited:

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Lots of great information already posted in this thread but I'll add my bit.

First off, if your first post you mentioned a MiniMaxx as an option. Well it is a great tuning option and platform for custom tuning through MCC it's not an option for you as they don't support 2013+ Cummins. So that can be taken off the table.
As far as tuning goes custom is the way to go no question. I've run custom tunes for almost the entire deleted life my my truck (which has been most of it's life). I switched to box tunes for about 20 minutes and that was all I needed to conclude that they were junk and that custom tuning is the only way to go.

For tuning options the main things you should be looking at are EFI Live or a RaceME which will allow you to custom tune through their new WARP tuning software. EFI Live is one of the top options no doubt. Guys like Ryan Hardway and Kory Willis are doing great work. They were essentially the brains of the H&S tuning before they closed their doors. They know their stuff and they know how to tune a Cummins without a doubt.
RaceME is a newer tuning company in the grand scheme of things but they've hit the market hard and developed a really good product. Their new RaceME Ultra tuner is a really great option for guys that want either box tuning or custom tuning, the ease of a plug & play type tuner without the back and forth, the option for custom tuning, and a touch screen monitor to have some extra gauges visible. Guys like Ray Rich at Double R Diesel are having some great success with custom tuning on the new RaceME's. I personally run custom tuning on my MiniMaxx from Ray at Double R Diesel and am very happy with everything him and I have worked through together.

Transmission tuning is key with whatever setup you go with. The stock tuning on the 68rfe's is junk. They shift way too early to try to keep RPM low but that's exactly what you don't want for the life of the transmission. I have spent far more time working with Double R Diesel on the transmission tuning side of things than the engine. At this point I've pretty much changed all shift points, increased the line pressure, and changed pressure building curves.
At the end of the day how you drive it is key. As mentioned previously gears 1-4 are pretty stout and can take some abuse. It's mashing the throttle in 5th or 6th that will slip the overdrive clutches and fry the transmission. If you drive the truck smart it will handle a fair amount of power. I've been running max performance tunes (around 200 hp over stock) for a handful of months now with no issues.

Now segwaying into the power level. You can certainly run a 20-40 hp over stock tune as a daily driver. Really that works better for a lot of things. When I tow heavy for a longer trip I load a 40 hp over stock file as anything more than that starts building too high of EGT's because of the extra fuel. So I'd say a 40 hp tune is a lot more practical if you just want to tune it and leave it. Now that being said, if you're running a 150-200 hp over stock tune it still drives normally if you're easy on the throttle. You really only notice the difference when you start to lay into the throttle.
The beauty of EFI Live and a CSP5 switch is that you can go from a 40 hp over stock to a 200 hp over stock tune with the turn of a knob. So you can have the best of both worlds very quickly and easily.

Overall tuning and deleting is a world of difference over stock. The 2013+ trucks don't get as much of a fuel economy gain as the 2007.5-2012 Cummins did as the design is different. But the driveability and performance of the truck alone makes it fully worth it. You won't want to go back to a stock truck after driving a deleted one. Getting rid of the torque management is also a great thing as that alone makes the truck feel more powerful. On a 2013+ I would recommend getting the BD throttle sensitivity booster as well as they have a pretty bad dead pedal without it.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 Ram 3500 with the 6.7L Cummins you speak of. I have all the deletes already done and the performance is phenomenal. I do have the Aisin transmission and was told it will reliably hold 700 hp. I took my truck to a local diesel performance shop for recommendations. I highly recommend you seek professional guidance and installation since those guys know what has or hasn't proven to be reliable. My truck was mildly enhanced with a BullyDog GT tuner, EFI Live programming, deletes, AEM air intake and filter, 5" exhaust with an Aero muffler (sounds nice and not overly loud)..... I'm told the hp is in the 540-600 hp at the rear wheels. I'm running 37" Tires and they'll break loose at 20mph if you're using stage 3 or 4. The speed eliminator is gone. I'm getting roughly 14.2 mpg around town and 18+ on the highway and that's with a freaking huge truck pushing 8000#!

For the record I wouldn't expect your numbers to be in the 540-600 hp range at the rear wheels. I'd expect you're close to 650 hp at the engine but that will equate to 475-500 hp at the rear wheels. I've seen a number of trucks with a similar setup as yours or mine run on the dyno and very few break that 500 hp mark at the rear wheels. Especially running 37's.

The Aisin trans will definitely hold a good amount of power as well. I know a guy in Alberta running around 700-750 hp through a stock Aisin and so far it's holding. Really good to see that.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Their new RaceME Ultra tuner is a really great option for guys that want either box tuning or custom tuning, the ease of a plug & play type tuner without the back and forth, the option for custom tuning, and a touch screen monitor to have some extra gauges visible. .

The Raceme Ultra is a canned only tuner. If you want a custom tune you would have to get the Raceme MM3 which is basically the same thing, but is blank to allow custom tuners to load their own tunes.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Raceme Ultra is a canned only tuner. If you want a custom tune you would have to get the Raceme MM3 which is basically the same thing, but is blank to allow custom tuners to load their own tunes.

Nope, that's not correct. RaceME Ultras can be custom tuned through WARP tuning as well AND have the canned tunes. MM3's are for custom tuning only and do not come with canned tunes. The Ultra works exactly as an H&S MiniMaxx where you can run canned tunes if you want or have the option to go full custom through MCC tuning.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Nope, that's not correct. RaceME Ultras can be custom tuned through WARP tuning as well AND have the canned tunes. MM3's are for custom tuning only and do not come with canned tunes. The Ultra works exactly as an H&S MiniMaxx where you can run canned tunes if you want or have the option to go full custom through MCC tuning.

Hmm, I could have sworn Ray at Double R told me in an email that the Ultra was canned only and the MM3 was custom tunes. I guess I must have read the email wrong.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm, I could have sworn Ray at Double R told me in an email that the Ultra was canned only and the MM3 was custom tunes. I guess I must have read the email wrong.

I'm going to guess that's the case as I've followed along with the RaceME Ultra's and WARP tuning that Ray has been working with and I know that WARP tuning was available before the MM3's ever came out. But I'll shoot him a quick email to double check.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Confirmed with Ray this afternoon. The RaceME Ultra has the canned tunes out of the box and can run WARP tuning if desired. The MM3 can only run WARP tuning or UDC Pro.

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
For the record I wouldn't expect your numbers to be in the 540-600 hp range at the rear wheels. I'd expect you're close to 650 hp at the engine but that will equate to 475-500 hp at the rear wheels. I've seen a number of trucks with a similar setup as yours or mine run on the dyno and very few break that 500 hp mark at the rear wheels. Especially running 37's.

The Aisin trans will definitely hold a good amount of power as well. I know a guy in Alberta running around 700-750 hp through a stock Aisin and so far it's holding. Really good to see that.

I have no clue myself. The owner of the shop offered to put it on the Dyno but I didn't want to abuse it. I had him look it over real good and the numbers I quoted is what he'd predict it would pull and he had nothing to gain by saying that. He has Dyno competitions frequently so I'd expect he is somewhat knowledgeable. Regardless of the actual numbers, it runs very strong and that's coming from a man that just had a supercharged Tundra.

Last edited:

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dyno numbers are a tuning tool anyway. Too many variables ro compare straight up. You could be comparing apples to oranges without even knowing it. I've seen a Hellcat only hit 527 on a Dyno. 12.0 sec full body/interior 68 Charger 308hp.

People like to brag about big after dyno numbers, but they are just a number without a baseline.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no clue myself. The owner of the shop offered to put it on the Dyno but I didn't want to abuse it. I had him look it over real good and the numbers I quoted is what he'd predict it would pull and he had nothing to gain by saying that. He has Dyno competitions frequently so I'd expect he is somewhat knowledgeable. Regardless of the actual numbers, it runs very strong and that's coming from a man that just had a supercharged Tundra.

Fair enough. I'm with you in that boat. I'm pretty curious to know what mine actually would put down but I don't think it's worth the risk of wrecking anything on the dyno. Either way, it's more than enough power for what I need in a daily driver. They're definitely impressive trucks once tuned and deleted.

Dyno numbers are a tuning tool anyway. Too many variables ro compare straight up. You could be comparing apples to oranges without even knowing it. I've seen a Hellcat only hit 527 on a Dyno. 12.0 sec full body/interior 68 Charger 308hp.

People like to brag about big after dyno numbers, but they are just a number without a baseline.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Definitely agree with this. We dyno our engines for our racecars and I've found that the actual horsepower doesn't actually equate to the full performance of the car. We used to have a 500 cu.in. pump gas engine in my dad's car, dyno'd at 740 hp/656 ft-lbs and the best we ever ran with that setup was a 10.42 @ 127 mph. He blew it up last year so we through together a 440 methanol engine with a block and rotating assembly that we had sitting around in the shop. Ended up dynoing at 698 hp/680 ft-lbs so by numbers you'd think it would be slower. Especially because this block is about 80 lbs heavier than the last one. Well the car ran a 10.11 @ 129 mph first run out. So total hp and torque numbers aren't always a true representation of what the car will do. The RPM that those peak numbers are at and where the crossover of the two is all plays into the combination as well. I find it pretty interesting learning all this as we work through it.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

An Update to this. My buddy said he has put about 43k miles on his 2014 since he deleted it and tuned it with EFIbyRyan. Another plus that he reminded me about was the exhaust brake. With the tune, the exhaust brake stays in the last mode you have it in when you shut off the truck. So if you are one of those that like to keep the exhaust brake on all the time and hate having to press the button on every start up, it is a plus.