Expedition build - 5.7 or 6.4 ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mauspalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Tradesman 4x4 Regular cab
Engine
Hi All - New guy here and new (hopefully) to Ram. Was hoping to tap the collective wisdom of owners to help me decide on the 5.7 or 6.4 Hemi.

Planning to build an expedition-type rig to use for exploring/camping the Southwest. I've narrowed it down to the following truck:

* 2016 2500 4x4
* Tradesman
* Regular cab
* 4.10s with limited slip
* manual t-case lever
* sliding rear window (for the pups)
* carpet delete
* higher capacity alternator
* aux switches
* spray-in liner
* Uconnect 5.0

I don't plan to tow anything but will plan on putting a shell with roof rack for hauling gear. I will more than likely put a sleeping platform in the bed. Eventually, a modest slide-in popup truck camper will replace the shell. I plan to add some slightly larger tires (Toyos - between 33" & 34"), a winch, sliders, and full skid plates. A hi-lift and extra fuel will go on the rack with an additional spare tire. I will also use the truck for occasional DD duty as well as weekend dump runs.

My quandary is which motor to get. I'm not concerned about power - the 5.7 would be plenty for my intended purpose.

Pros for 5.7 as I see them. Please feel free to add.

* history - Lots of them driving around out there.
* aftermarket support
* parts availability
* dealers/mechanics support should be a bit better (more competent)
* Oil requirement not so strict (don't know about this one)
* A bit cheaper

Pros for 6.4

* Engineered as 'truck' motor. Not sure about this one. I've seen a lot of guys beating their 5.7s to within an inch of its life with seemingly no ill effect. The 5.7 seems to be pretty tough.
* more power/torque
* dual alternator option
* ?????

Questions ??
* How do the cooling systems compare between the two?
* Is the 5.7 fan engine-driven or electric? Dual fans?
* Is the 6 speed well-suited to the 5.7?
* How well does either engine perform in slow speed 4wd situations?
* Does the 5.7 have decent low end?

Thanks!

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Why the Reg Cab? I ask because if I am using it as an expedition rig I like the additional space a CC or MC offers. Seems you would want the extra space inside the cab for jackets, lunch boxes, backpack, firearms, maps, etc. not to mention much more seat adjustment for ore comfortable driving.

I'm interested in your build of this rig as these types of travel interest me a lot. BTW, I'd go 6.4 on the engine. Bigger heavier truck in stock form then you start adding several thousand pounds of expedition gear and a slide in camper I'd wan the extra power. Any breakage and it goes to the closest Ram dealer where they should have competent mechanics able to work on the 6.4. Not to mention, if this is an expedition rig you should always carry at least 8 quarts of 0W-40 and a filter when traveling so if you do have an independent shop do a service they use your oil and filter. Then when in the nearest town with a Walmart or Pepboys you replenish.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ power wagon with the 6.4

OP
OP
M

mauspalls

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 Tradesman 4x4 Regular cab
Engine
Thanks for replies! As for why regular cab. It will only be the wife & I and a couple of dogs as all the kids are more interested now in doing their own thing. So, the technical requirement of needing more seats is already eliminated right off the bat. I was planning to build a raised platform for a bed/bench combo with storage underneath for gear. Kind of a poor man's camper! I'm also planning to put a fairly stout roof rack over the shell to store the extra fuel/oil etc.

Also would like to keep the weight of the truck (from the factory) down as much as possible as well as keep the wheelbase as short as possible. I like the idea of the shortest wheelbase possible on this size truck to keep turning radius and general off-roadability as short/acceptable as much as can be. Plus, I dig an oldschool single cab truck. :favorites13:

Good points on the 6.4, still pondering that one. Will definitely keep extra oil on board. My offroad kit is in pretty good order, fwiw. :)

A PW would be awesome but a little too $$$$.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If I am not mistaken, the 6.4 engine gives you higher payload. I would go with the 6.4 just for that reason alone if you are putting a heavy shell or slide in camper in there. As I understand, the fuel mileage is about the same between the 6.4 and the 5.7. The minimal upgrade cost now will probably take care of itself from fuel savings and likely an increased value if you sell or trade it in.