explain the upfitters electronic module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hardknocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
what is the option VSIM for? is it the aux switch panels. trying to figure out the pacakage to order

txcobowhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SSV
Engine
Hemi 5.7
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2013/docs/cc/dddpvsim.pdf

It is not the factory Aux switches. It allows several pre-wired functions through the computer. It's used by upfitters for such things as wig wag light functions and siren cut outs when the doors are opened. There is a whole list of things this module can do.

The Aux switches can interface with the VSIM, but just because your build sheet says VSIM does not mean you get the aux switches.

I would ask the dealer to include the factory Aux switch option. I found out after the order, that mine could have been ordered with them, but no one can tell me if they can be added now.

Last edited:

Steel Curtain

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Interesting cause my truck has the up fitter option but also came with a package of wire harness bundles that I just assumed were for the up fitter switches but now I will have to double check and see..... Thank you for the link and info

OP
OP
H

hardknocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
so if u get the aux switches are the prewired into the fuse box. or is that with the module. could you explain a little more please. what im trying to say is . if i install extra lights for say the bed area is there a plug somewhere on the truck that i can plug them into that is already prewired to a certain AUX switch. so i do not have to run wires to the switch and tear dash apart to connect?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
so if u get the aux switches are the prewired into the fuse box. or is that with the module. could you explain a little more please. what im trying to say is . if i install extra lights for say the bed area is there a plug somewhere on the truck that i can plug them into that is already prewired to a certain AUX switch. so i do not have to run wires to the switch and tear dash apart to connect?

Watch the below video, especially the last half. It explains in detail the aux switch upfitter function and installation from the factory and how to hook up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI2C13Pbdvk

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2016/docs/ram/ramaux.pdf

gromage1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So after watching these videos am I to understand that if I add a light bar and want to use my upfitter switches to control it all I need to do is provide a ground a connect the red wire going to the light at the module under the hood? Most of the lights I've looked at come with a wire harness with fuse and relay but it sounds like they are already there with the snow plow package??

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
So after watching these videos am I to understand that if I add a light bar and want to use my upfitter switches to control it all I need to do is provide a ground a connect the red wire going to the light at the module under the hood? Most of the lights I've looked at come with a wire harness with fuse and relay but it sounds like they are already there with the snow plow package??

It's my understanding, that the up fitter switches are relayed switches. No need to add relays.

Nephew has his LED's on one, sander on another. Wired them into the included pigtail, and done.

gromage1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I thought but I haven't been able to find a definite answer anywhere, if that's the case I wouldn't need to connect directly to the battery like I would with the harness that came with the light but I suppose adding the light harness really wouldn't hurt anything.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's what I thought but I haven't been able to find a definite answer anywhere, if that's the case I wouldn't need to connect directly to the battery like I would with the harness that came with the light but I suppose adding the light harness really wouldn't hurt anything.

There's no need for any extra fuses or relays. Each switch has its own fuse and relay in the PDC. If the wiring for the light(s) already has a fuse inline it won't hurt to leave it, but you definitely don't need to and it won't buy you anything.

gromage1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, that kinda what I got out of the Ram video just wanted to make sure.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963