Factory 5th wheel prep kit caps won't fit now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a factory 5th wheel prep kit and had my bed sprayed with Line-X recently. I had removed the caps prior to installation instead of having the outer rings sprayed over. The Line-X owner told me that I would need to use something like a Dremel tool on the plastic ring retention tabs to get the caps to fit now due to added thickness of the bed and smaller circumference of the holes. I wanted to hear any other ideas before grinding away since a replacement set of caps cost about $50.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
if ya don't want to grind, I guess there's always a hammer and chisel.
;)

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Funny, they still work with the factory spray in bedliner.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have you tried fitting them yet without grinding?

OP
OP
I

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've tried to force them in, but they just twisted and wouldn't go in. I measured the holes are they are now about 1/4" smaller in diameter than the retention tabs on the covers. There is not enough material on the plastic covers to grind on them. The better solution would be to try and cut away some of the liner material that is on the edge of the holes. Or I could do what others on Cummins Diesel forum said they did and that is to give up and just throw their covers into their tool boxes. My OCD probably won't allow me to leave the holes open most of the year and I will figure out some way of covering them.

OP
OP
I

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny, they still work with the factory spray in bedliner.

The factory spray liner is a much thinner application, that's why I went with Line-X. Unfortunately, the 5th wheel prep kit cover issue wasn't foreseen.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have a rubber bed mat in my truck. I really like it too. It keeps stuff from sliding around much better than just a plastic bed liner.

Do you know if the 5th wheel hitch will fit in the holes now?

OP
OP
I

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a rubber bed mat in my truck. I really like it too. It keeps stuff from sliding around much better than just a plastic bed liner.

Do you know if the 5th wheel hitch will fit in the holes now?

I just bought the truck a month ago and I'm gradually acquiring everything I need to pull an eventual 5th wheel. I picked up a Reese picture frame adapter the other day. Although I haven't tried installing it yet, I can see there is plenty of room in the puck? holes for it. There is just a small amount of extra liner spray on the hole edges that are not allowing the covers to be snapped back in. Hesitant on cutting around the holes. It may then fit width wise, but still not fit depth wise.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I got the top of the line Line-X on my truck, deluxe or Xtra or whatever the hell they call it. Line-X guy said he couldn't get the caps back in so I went home and did it myself. it took a lot of patients and twisting but they did fit back in without being distorted and look perfect. I don't know why your application would be any thicker than mine.

OP
OP
I

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Success with the Dremel tool just like the Line-X dealer had suggested. Turned out to be strictly a depth issue. I ground a small amount off all the retention tabs and they snapped into place. Had to do it extremely carefully as the Dremel tool would have had no problem going right through the plastic. Waiting to see how well they will stay in.

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I finally took my plastic caps off again. Sucks them being plastic and if you load your truck a lot with pallets. I've been getting 100s of landscaping bricks (77lbs a piece), and it was a pain trying to make sure the for lift operator didn't snap off a cap.

Good to know about the trimming, will see how long my factory bedliner last, since it is already damaged on the tailgate in a few places. I'ld assume its a pain to removed a bedliner and get a thicker aftermarket one installed.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I finally took my plastic caps off again. Sucks them being plastic and if you load your truck a lot with pallets. I've been getting 100s of landscaping bricks (77lbs a piece), and it was a pain trying to make sure the for lift operator didn't snap off a cap.

Good to know about the trimming, will see how long my factory bedliner last, since it is already damaged on the tailgate in a few places. I'ld assume its a pain to removed a bedliner and get a thicker aftermarket one installed.

I hate those caps. There in my she'd somewhere. I use my air gun to blow the woodchuck, mulch, grease clippings, ect from the pucks before putting the hitch in.