factory e locker front and rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boywithatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
found this link from a friend that has service info for front and rear e lockers on 2500 trucks. iv never seen this option or a truck with it only the standard LSD or the 1500 clutch style LSD. anyone know how to order one?

pics below

elec%20locker_zpsazbandlc.png
[/URL][/IMG]

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
On this same subject, has anyone added the factory powerwagon lockers to their truck?

Gymkata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On this same subject, has anyone added the factory powerwagon lockers to their truck?

I haven't personally seen a post from anybody who has, but I did some research a while back and found that you can buy the PW lockers aftermarket.

jtlp8335

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For those of us not in PW's, what's the difference between our locking diff (rear) and what the PW uses on the rear diff?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For those of us not in PW's, what's the difference between our locking diff (rear) and what the PW uses on the rear diff?

as far as i know, you dont have a locking differential. you probably have limited slip.

jtlp8335

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Correct--I have limited slip on my BH. what is the difference between the LSD and PW lockers?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Correct--I have limited slip on my BH. what is the difference between the LSD and PW lockers?

when the locker is engaged power is distributed equally to both rear wheels at all times. limited slip fuctions just as it says, it allows for the rear wheels to spin at different speeds depending on circumstances, while still powering both wheels simultaneously.

thats a quick summary. theres a ton of info out there outlining all the differences, pro & cons of each, etc.

MitchPeder7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power wagons rear diff is a LSD till you engage the locker with the dial on the dash, then it's completely locked without having to spin first like with a LSD. PWs also have a locker in the front and a front disconnecting sway bar. So much better off-road!

Sent while I'm killing time at work

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
I hate to dig up old threads, and especially as a first post, but here it goes....

I have a 2017 2500 on order, and I've been looking into getting the factory lockers installed at the dealer. I'd prefer to not void the warranty on my drivetrain. ;) The only way to currently get the lockers is to order the Power Wagon package, and they automatically come with 4.10 ratio gearing.

That said, here's what I know: I have access to dealerconnect, and I can say for sure that in the 2500 the 6000 pound front axle is standard. The same diff is used whether it's a Powerwagon or standard truck. The difference in the PW is the locking actuator assembly. For the rear axle, there are three differentials. There is the standard open diff, there is a anti-spin rear diff, and the third diff is specific to the PW and has a similar locking actuator assembly.

There are 2 part numbers available for the transfer case dash switch. There isn't much information as to which has what buttons.

Finally, the transfer case can be on-the-fly electric shift or a manual shift. If you build a Tradesmen, you can get the manual case and PW package.

As I know more, I'll post back.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
unfortunately, its a bit more complicated then just the differentials and the dash switch. the lockers are controlled by the smart bar, so you would need that as well, along with all applicable wiring. then you would need a flash for everything to work. thats most likely going to be the impossible hurdle. this topic has come up before and nobody has been able to pull it off as far as i know.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
Yes, all goods points. The DTCM (smart bar?)isn't hard to flash, it might only need a proxy, which basically just marks the lockers as "equipped". Still, you'd need to have a development tool, or the dealership would have to be brave/crafty enough to do it. The smart bar should still be present in PW or standard trucks to transmit the transfer case shift status over CAN. The good news is that there is only one part number for the DTCM (68250127AA) for both switch types.

As for the wiring, it's highly probable that the dash harness has the connectors. At the worst, it's probably necessary to get a couple of extensions that reach around. I'm going to ask around the smarter people that I know to see if there is a separate dash harness part number for PW. If there is, then it's still not the end of the road, but definitely makes things harder. As far as the wiring to the locker actuators themselves, there are two wires for the mechanism, and two wires for the position sensor.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I hate to dig up old threads, and especially as a first post, but here it goes....

I have a 2017 2500 on order, and I've been looking into getting the factory lockers installed at the dealer. I'd prefer to not void the warranty on my drivetrain. ;) The only way to currently get the lockers is to order the Power Wagon package, and they automatically come with 4.10 ratio gearing.

That said, here's what I know: I have access to dealerconnect, and I can say for sure that in the 2500 the 6000 pound front axle is standard. The same diff is used whether it's a Powerwagon or standard truck. The difference in the PW is the locking actuator assembly. For the rear axle, there are three differentials. There is the standard open diff, there is a anti-spin rear diff, and the third diff is specific to the PW and has a similar locking actuator assembly.

There are 2 part numbers available for the transfer case dash switch. There isn't much information as to which has what buttons.

Finally, the transfer case can be on-the-fly electric shift or a manual shift. If you build a Tradesmen, you can get the manual case and PW package.

As I know more, I'll post back.

The entire wiring harness is different so even if you bought the parts you could not convert a regular 2500 to a Power Wagon. The easiest way to add electric lockers is to buy them and have them installed. The axles are different on the PW so you'll have to drill ports in your axles (you'll have to for any sellectable locker). You'll have to wire them but they are very easy.

Front E-Locker: https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=2488&Source=DiffWizard&ShowAA=true

You'll have to call Randy's for the rear, I can't find it on their site.

beaverclever02

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 tradesman cclb
Engine
6.4L
With the pw it makes it a true 4 wheel drive. Usually with the average driver it just means "RFS" or "really f*cking stuck". I run lockers on my woodwagon, a 94' f350 cclb and I have not seen a situation I couldn't get thru but you have to be careful

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, all goods points. The DTCM (smart bar?)isn't hard to flash, it might only need a proxy, which basically just marks the lockers as "equipped". Still, you'd need to have a development tool, or the dealership would have to be brave/crafty enough to do it. The smart bar should still be present in PW or standard trucks to transmit the transfer case shift status over CAN. The good news is that there is only one part number for the DTCM (68250127AA) for both switch types.

As for the wiring, it's highly probable that the dash harness has the connectors. At the worst, it's probably necessary to get a couple of extensions that reach around. I'm going to ask around the smarter people that I know to see if there is a separate dash harness part number for PW. If there is, then it's still not the end of the road, but definitely makes things harder. As far as the wiring to the locker actuators themselves, there are two wires for the mechanism, and two wires for the position sensor.

the smart bar im referring to is the electronic dis-connectable sway bar. for whatever reason, the brain of that also controls the lockers on the power wagon. without that, making the lockers work(like OEM) wont happen. also, i see you posted the part number for a transfer case control module, and mention two different transfer case control selectors. the power wagon only comes with a manual transfer case. there is no transfer case selector. where the transfer case selector would go is where the selector for the lockers and sway bar is. if the truck your ordered has an electronic shift transfer case, thats going to pose another issue. as far as flashing the truck goes, its my understanding that there is no way to simply select the lockers, but rather its part of the power wagon sales code, and i cant imagine FCA allowing the power wagon sales code to be added to a non-power wagon truck. maybe theres a work around for that last part that im not aware of, but i dont think so.

now with all that said, you can add the OEM lockers to your axles, wire them up to some switches and they will function. i dont think a dealer is going to do that, and i would think it would void the warranty on your axles, but thats a conversation for your dealer.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the smart bar im referring to is the electronic dis-connectable sway bar. for whatever reason, the brain of that also controls the lockers on the power wagon. without that, making the lockers work(like OEM) wont happen. also, i see you posted the part number for a transfer case control module, and mention two different transfer case control selectors. the power wagon only comes with a manual transfer case. there is no transfer case selector. where the transfer case selector would go is where the selector for the lockers and sway bar is. if the truck your ordered has an electronic shift transfer case, thats going to pose another issue. as far as flashing the truck goes, its my understanding that there is no way to simply select the lockers, but rather its part of the power wagon sales code, and i cant imagine FCA allowing the power wagon sales code to be added to a non-power wagon truck. maybe theres a work around for that last part that im not aware of, but i dont think so.

now with all that said, you can add the OEM lockers to your axles, wire them up to some switches and they will function. i dont think a dealer is going to do that, and i would think it would void the warranty on your axles, but thats a conversation for your dealer.

Wiring the electric lockers is painfully simple, you can power either side of the locker. The absence of the Smartbar would be a major step forward in the functionality of the system. If I wanted lockers I would not try to recreate the PW's needlessly complicated system; just install the lockers and wire them into SPST switches mounted in the panel above the e-brake.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wiring the electric lockers is painfully simple, you can power either side of the locker. The absence of the Smartbar would be a major step forward in the functionality of the system. If I wanted lockers I would not try to recreate the PW's needlessly complicated system; just install the lockers and wire them into SPST switches mounted in the panel above the e-brake.

i agree with you 100%. im just pointing out why making it work like OEM is very difficult/impossible, since that was the question at hand.

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
I'm now 100% agreed with everything you've said Danny. The number of part numbers for the various harnesses is ridiculous. It borders on evil. One minor change in a add-on of the column/dash, say accessory switch bank, results in a number of body and chassis harness changes. That one feature is attached to over a dozen different harness configurations for the main body harness. There are 21 unique part numbers for the body harness. :eek: If you look at just the Tru-Lok code, there are multiple part numbers that the code is on for any one harness depending on the other features added once again. That's just evil.

Wiring the lockers manually would be very easy. As far as the axle warranty, it would almost certainly not be covered. For that matter, replacing an axle shaft in one of these is fairly easy. My only concern is how far up the line they would try to take it.

I'm very disappointed in Ram for not at least offering a locker option on it's own. The Power Wagon is friggin' awesome, but in all honesty half of the crap they put in the package is just silly fluff. It's not worth the extra 8k to me.